Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 08:01 AM

80 posts, read 270,145 times

Advertisements

You could also look at Knightdale. Planters Walk is right off of I 540, a straight shot to RTP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 08:07 AM

137 posts, read 552,092 times
I recently looked at a lot of the places mentioned here. For what it is worth, my significant other was (originally) very partial to Brier Creek. Mostly, if you are going to be in and out of RDU a bunch then it is very convenient. I never could really see the draw there. The Toll Brothers houses are so inferior to most other housing stock, and the lots are terrible (I like a tree or two on my lot!) So, after a lot of looking and compromising we ended up in a great spot near Chapel Hill. No where near as convenient to RDU,(That is for sure) but everything else seems much better.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:36 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,189,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
As you can see by the responses already, there are a lot of choices. Since you don't have kids yet and school will not be an issue for a few years I highly recommend you rent (somewhere close to your jobs) for at least a year while you get your bearings about the pluses and minuses of living in each area. After living here for a while I think you will have a much easier time identifying areas that may best suite your lifestyle that also fit your budget. Good Luck!
Rent for A YEAR? Are ya nuts!

Most people can figure out an area in way less time than that! Let's just assume that these people are somewhat intelligent!

If you cannot come down a few times before you move to scope out the area and figure out where you WANT to live and where you can AFFORD to live, then renting would be a good option for you. However, renting for more than 3 months is not necessary and for those people that have lived in their own home before, renting for more than 3 months is difficult for them.

Not having kids is helpful because you would not want to put them through a move twice and possibly uproot them from one school to another.

Again, your price is going to dictate where you live. A few days with a Realtor and you'll have a good idea of where you want to live. It just isn't that difficult.

If you prefer to rent, that is a totally different story. There are plenty of apts. available!

Vicki

Old 05-12-2009, 11:39 AM

635 posts, read 3,087,818 times
I don't know, I've often made the same recommendation of renting for a year, which is what we did in Cary.

Certainly "to each their own" as everyone's ability to acclimate and tolerance for renting is different, but for those with a busy(normal) work and life schedule, the first month or three may be consumed with just getting their general bearings and settled, much less really getting to know the area.

Again, everyone is different, but starting at a young age when my family seemed to move every few years and then after I was on my own, I found that it seemed to take about 2 years to really get to know a place in any depth and get to know folks(make real friends).

I'm not suggesting someone rent for two years though, but just that it may take longer than three months for some people to get their bearings and decide what/where they are looking for.

Al

Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM

321 posts, read 1,575,395 times
We rented in south Cary for a couple of months. After about 8 weeks I knew I did not want to be there, which is when we started looking at Durham. Sometimes it's easy to get a feel for the place, sometimes it takes a while. I don't think there's a standard time.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:02 PM

94 posts, read 175,407 times
Clayton is definitely more country, but just a short 15-20 min drive to all of your 'urban sprawl' shopping. There is also all sorts of shopping 'in' Clayton as well. My husband commutes from East Clayton to south Durham and makes it in about 45 mins. That's probably better than what you're used to in ny....

Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Rent for A YEAR? Are ya nuts!

Most people can figure out an area in way less time than that! Let's just assume that these people are somewhat intelligent!
I've lived here more than 10 years and I still ain't figured it out!

Oh, wait - intelligence is required?? Never mind.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:01 PM

5 posts, read 7,158 times
Thanks for all the advice. Since we are from Long Island and we are use to a lot of congestion and a busy life style we have ruled out Clayton. I think we will definitely be looking between Durham, Raleigh and Cary. We are evaluating on whether to rent for 6 months or purchase because home prices are low right now.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_roethlisberger View Post
I don't know, I've often made the same recommendation of renting for a year, which is what we did in Cary.

Certainly "to each their own" as everyone's ability to acclimate and tolerance for renting is different, but for those with a busy(normal) work and life schedule, the first month or three may be consumed with just getting their general bearings and settled, much less really getting to know the area.

Again, everyone is different, but starting at a young age when my family seemed to move every few years and then after I was on my own, I found that it seemed to take about 2 years to really get to know a place in any depth and get to know folks(make real friends).

I'm not suggesting someone rent for two years though, but just that it may take longer than three months for some people to get their bearings and decide what/where they are looking for.

Al
We have the cash to buy a home with no mortgage but have rented for 20 years.

There are benefits to rent or buy.

If you decide to buy, I recommend Vicki as your realtor.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:40 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,772,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2travelfar View Post
Thanks for all the advice. Since we are from Long Island and we are use to a lot of congestion and a busy life style we have ruled out Clayton. I think we will definitely be looking between Durham, Raleigh and Cary. We are evaluating on whether to rent for 6 months or purchase because home prices are low right now.
It seems like a lot of the Long Island folks are going to Clayton or Cary. I am starting to wonder who will be left on L.I. in a few years, because according to this board, they all seem to be moving here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary