U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 AM

16 posts, read 34,592 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Long Island NY, and have been paying WAY too much to live in a "good" school district. We have been searching Cary, Apex & Holly Springs, are looking in the 200-275 K price range and need 3 beds plus (bonus, 4th bedroom, etc.) Love the community feel, want young subdivision with olympic pool, activities for kids, etc. Do I need to avoid any schools? my son starts kindergarten in fall. i realize i will probably be redistricted so i want to pick a spot and stay (not move around and add to school changes). I really just want a safe school, luckily my son does not need special services.
Also, any subdivision recommendations? I love Scotts MIll, West Park and like the amenities of Park Village.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:40 AM

124 posts, read 278,977 times
I relocated last year from LI and love it here. PM me if you have any specific questions. We live near Scotts Mill with all the same amenities and it is great for kids. Schools in Apex are wonderful (I'm a teacher), that was the deciding factor for me. The redistricting can be tough, probably harder on parents than kids. My kids are a bit older so I am hoping they are fairly settled. I'm originally from Huntington.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:07 AM

8,269 posts, read 24,159,027 times
There are only one or two schools that I heard any real negatives about in the western Wake area and even that is subjective. I think you're pretty safe!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:26 AM

Not sure how to 'PM' yet!!! But thanks for your feedback. I am in Rockville Centre... love Scotts Mill. Are you in a different subdivision? We don't know many people down there, so we are looking for a real social, kid friendly neighborhood... Was down last weekend and saw soooo many kids around. We are leaning toward Apex. Cary is great, too. I'm unclear about how good Holly Springs schools are, since you seem to get more bang for your buck there!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:43 PM

15,724 posts, read 20,341,293 times
We attend Holly Springs schools and have been pleased with the education our children are receiving.

My 2 older children tested into the AG program and my 3rd child has been evalutated for speech so we've been through both extremes at the school.

Honestly though, if the schools you are looking at are decent, education is really what YOU make of it. If you are involved as a parent and are active in the schools and the programs they offer, your children should do well in any of the western wake elementary schools.

I like to get in the classroom and volunteer a little. You don't need to do it on a regular basis but once in a while is nice so you can develop a rapport with the teacher and you are able to see what the classroom climate is like.

Go in for lunch with your child, try and chaperone a field trip or two...etc. These little experiences go a very long way when it comes to your childs education in the early years.

Last edited by *Sixy*; 05-12-2009 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typos!

Old 05-12-2009, 11:06 PM

3,994 posts, read 10,434,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
Honestly though, if the schools you are looking at are decent, education is really what YOU make of it. If you are involved as a parent and are active in the schools and the programs they offer, your children should do well in any of the western wake elementary schools.
Exactly!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks- I work in the schools and I fully agree that the parents involvement is most important!! Just want to be sure there aren't any that I should avoid (dangerous, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary