U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,464,818 times

Advertisements

Hello my fantastic Forumites

Mom and Dad are coming into town and I was looking for a few other suggestions as to 'must see' place in Raleigh and the surrounding areas.
We only have a week so I could possibly take them on one overnight trip.
Dad is an avid Civil War reader so I do want to incorporate something historical into their trip.

Here is what I was thinking
Duke Gardens
Farmer's Market/Raleigh
downtown tour of State Capital - lunch at Big Ed's

Anyone been to Wilmington and toured the Battleship or taken a ride on the Henrietta? thinking a lunch tour would be fun.

We are limited in our walking so I think these would easy and interesting sites they would enjoy.

Dad likes fishing so I was thinking of going to Lake Johnson - they have fishing gear/tackle you can rent and the rocking chairs at the boathouse are the best.

Any and all suggestions welcomed.
xoxo
Donna
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

9,197 posts, read 22,967,163 times
The U.S.S. North Carolina battleship in Wilmington is an interesting tour for anyone interested in WWII history. It's very well preserved as it would have been in the 40s & 50s (I believe it was decommissioned shortly thereafter so not much updating happened). I took my dad (now in mid 70s) a few year back. He'd served on a similar battleship in the early 50s and really enjoyed the visit and nostalgia.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:30 AM

6,234 posts, read 14,815,873 times
I've been to the battleship and remember only that it was short, and basically it was just a ship. I wouldn't drive down just for that. (If your father served on a similar ship, he might enjoy it.)

Sounds like your other plans are great. Have fun!

Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM

2,452 posts, read 7,396,025 times
After Duke Gardens head up to Bennett Place in Durham. Largest troop surrender of the Civil War.

NC Historic Sites - Bennett Place

Frank

Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM

119 posts, read 182,419 times
Duke Gardens is a great choice--you can make the walk as long or short as desired. In addition, you can park over in the Bryan Center and head into Duke Chapel for a brief tour.

Farmer's Market is also a great choice.

I wouldn't do the battleship--you can head below decks but only (as I recall) some steep stairs/ladders that might be hard to navigate for older folks. Above decks would be a pretty short trip. But Wilmington has other nice areas to wander around in. Wilmington has good Civil War history too (it was one of the major ports during the War), though I'm not sure what museums/parks it might have to commemorate it.

Franklin St in Chapel Hill is also a decent place to wander around--see some of the campus, go to shops, get a bite to eat.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:50 AM

2,270 posts, read 8,545,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
After Duke Gardens head up to Bennett Place in Durham. Largest troop surrender of the Civil War.

NC Historic Sites - Bennett Place

Frank

If your dad is a Civil War buff then Bennett Place is an absolute must-do. It isn't hard to walk.

You might also want to consider Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh. It is smaller than Duke Gardens and also very beautiful.

If you want to do Civil War history at the beach, my first recommendation would be Fort Macon (near Atlantic Beach). You also could go to Fort Fisher near Wilmington, but I prefer Fort Macon. You could also stop in New Bern en route and check out Tryon Palace.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:33 PM

60 posts, read 207,026 times
You should do Bennett Place that others have suggested, as it is the largest troop surrender and doesn't get the recognition it deserves. While you're on that side of town, also check out Duke Homestead. Both of these can be fairly short walks. Since you have a week, you could also try Durham Bulls baseball, which is starting their homestand tonight and will be here for 8 days, or so. Always fun and fairly cheap for a sporting event - I think Friday night they are having fireworks afterward. Sounds like you already have quite a few fun things to do, so I'm sure it will be great regardless!

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,464,818 times
thank you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary