Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 09:51 AM

3,124 posts, read 12,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookEmHorns View Post
Maybe not in Wake County but it happened to a friend of mine in Mecklenburg. It had nothing to do with the children's privacy since it was during the summer. The police were concerned that she was planning an attack on the school. She was actually taking pictures of a new school for a community newsletter.
And she was arressted and questioned by HLS? Not just asked what she was doing (since it was summer)...but actually arressted and booked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 AM

193 posts, read 245,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
And she was arressted and questioned by HLS? Not just asked what she was doing (since it was summer)...but actually arressted and booked?
I shouldn't have used the word arrested. Mea culpa. She was detained, taken to the police station and questioned by HLS. The local cops just over reacted.

I was half joking when I wrote my earlier post. Of course it isn't a certainty that you'll be detained for taking pictures of a school.

Old 04-07-2007, 04:30 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
When you go on these tours, what do you look for? What do you expect from the school? Does watching a teacher for a few minutes really make that much of a difference? Can you think of anything (short of crumbling, moldy walls) that would convince you to not enroll your child in a school? If you have a check list, what is on it?

I've never toured potential schools before (no kids yet), so I wonder how much of these tours is about getting a general "feel" for a school or if there are specifics that can only be reviewed in person.
Observing a teacher shows you how they treat the kids, the approach they take to learning... hands on or worksheets, do the kids work in groups or by themselves. Every kid learns differently so no one style is best, but once you have kids you know how they learn and the environment they respond to best.

Obviously observing one teacher does not tell you what all the teachers are like, but it opens a dialogue w/ the principal so you can inquire if there is a basic philosophy to the school. I visited Charter schools in OR that did not allow their Kindergarteners to move around much... I knew that would not be a good fit for my son. Instead, I choose our neighborhood school where he got to move to stations for literacy and math.

Walking around a school tells more about it than talking to the Principal. Walls really do talk in schools. Sometimes they are quiet and some times they scream they are so alive.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:09 PM

68 posts, read 272,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Observing a teacher shows you how they treat the kids, the approach they take to learning... hands on or worksheets, do the kids work in groups or by themselves. Every kid learns differently so no one style is best, but once you have kids you know how they learn and the environment they respond to best.

Obviously observing one teacher does not tell you what all the teachers are like, but it opens a dialogue w/ the principal so you can inquire if there is a basic philosophy to the school. I visited Charter schools in OR that did not allow their Kindergarteners to move around much... I knew that would not be a good fit for my son. Instead, I choose our neighborhood school where he got to move to stations for literacy and math.

Walking around a school tells more about it than talking to the Principal. Walls really do talk in schools. Sometimes they are quiet and some times they scream they are so alive.

I couldn't agree with you more. Walking through a school and popping into a classroom even if it's just for 5-10 minutes gives you so much more information than tests scores ever will. These are some of the things I look for...

1. Are the teachers actively engaged in teaching? Are they working with the children or sitting at their desk? Do the teachers look like they are happy and enjoying what they do?? Are they welcoming and happy to meet you?

2. What are the children doing? They also should be actively engaged in SOMETHING - reading, working with the teacher, cutting, writing, whatever, but they should be busy doing something or listening to someone.

3. Throughout the school I like to see lots and lots of children's work -- writing, book projects, math papers or art hanging in the hallways and in the classroom. This shows that the school is student centered and proud of what the children are doing. In the classroom this is also a very non-judgemental way for parents to compare what their child is doing in relation to their peers.

4. You can also see or ask what programs are being used in the school. Math and science should be very hands-on and I've seen the best programs being used in other NC towns--Lumberton and Sanford. They were both using Smithsonian and Foss science kits which are excellent hands-on, discovery based science units. One school, if I remember correctly, was using the Everyday Math program, which is the highest rated math series according to the NCTM (National Council of Teachers of Mathematics). There are also other excellent math programs but I was very impressed!

5. There should be plenty of good books in the classroom and a nice library displaying good children's literature and maybe book projects that the kids have recently completed.

I am sure I could think of more, but these are most important to me, especially at the early elementary level.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:05 PM

68 posts, read 272,352 times
I just made some more calls today and here is what I found out...

Holly Ridge Elementary and Cary Elementary do not do tours at all.

West Lake Elem and Davis Drive Elem allow you to do self guided tours after the children have left for the day. (2:30 for Davis and 3:15 for West Lake)

Baucom Elementary has group tours every Friday at 1:30 -- no need to call.

Holly Springs Elementary has group tours every Tuesday at 10:00.

Highcroft Elementary will set up an appointment through the counselor for individual scheduling.

Middle Creek Elementary will put you in touch with the principal who will schedule an individual time for you.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary