Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 PM

264 posts, read 829,675 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are officially taking our 1st trip out to Raleigh at the end of June, and he is considering trying to apply for jobs before we go with the intention of maybe being able to do an interview while we are in Raleigh. We aren't sure whether Raleigh will feel like 'home', but it is the one other place on the top of our list of 'other' places to live and raise a family that we keep coming back to. I guess we'll find out what kind of vibe we get when we get there! We're keeping our options open.

We both understand the job market is very tight right now, but since we will be in Raleigh, it is worth a try. My husband currently has a great job in the CA Bay Area, and we wouldn't move anywhere without him getting a job first. Can anyone in this forum provide contacts for Electrical Engineers in Raleigh (or surrounding areas)? My husband is not interested in Power Plant type work environments (i.e. he does not have a PE license), but computer (high-tech) related technology--hardware focused less on the software-end. His job title would likely be Senior Electrical Engineer, Control Engineer, etc... I can give more details if you can provide a contact. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,123,721 times
I know a lot of EEs, including one that lives in my house, and they are all out of work. Qimonda closed its design facility here, and Sony Ericsson has laid off a large number of people, and of course there are the Nortel folks too. Things are very, very tight on the hardware side. There is a lot more to be found in software. My husband just talked to someone at a seminar that told him he got 300 resumes for one open position in his company. There are a very few jobs available in new electrical grid and metering technologies (Cree, Sensus, Elster), but there are a lot of applicants for those jobs.

You are in the right place for the kind of work your husband does. I don't know where else is on your list, but Austin or Boston would be better than here.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:53 AM

J_Lurk--Thanks for the advice! It's nice to hear what's going on from someone living there who knows EE people. Well, maybe it won't be so great for us to move there now...but maybe things will be looking better 5 years down the road. We'll just enjoy our trip there as we would any vacation

Old 05-14-2009, 01:14 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,736,735 times
Also, SRO, we have NC State University right here in Raleigh, churning out new batches of EEs every semester. Not likely to be "competition" for someone like your husband with years of experience, but still, it just adds to the glut.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:40 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,543,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
I know a lot of EEs, including one that lives in my house, and they are all out of work. Qimonda closed its design facility here, and Sony Ericsson has laid off a large number of people, and of course there are the Nortel folks too. Things are very, very tight on the hardware side. There is a lot more to be found in software. My husband just talked to someone at a seminar that told him he got 300 resumes for one open position in his company. There are a very few jobs available in new electrical grid and metering technologies (Cree, Sensus, Elster), but there are a lot of applicants for those jobs.
I'm one of the 400 people that got laid off from Sony Ericsson. I'm a SW engineer and many of my coworkers are EE or ME. The majority of people have had to move out of the area to find jobs. I'm lucky in that my wife works, so we are trying to stay here and find something local for me. It's been 7 months since the layoff and I still have not found anything in my field. J_Lurk is correct in that the metering companies are hiring due to the new administration's green energy stimulus money, but these companies are VERY choosy (it's a buyers' market).

Old 05-14-2009, 06:44 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,004,151 times
My hubby is a EE, churned out from NC State many years ago...........and everyone is correct, someone can hire a EE co-op for much less than a well experienced one! My hubby is on the software side though. Still, he has escaped the lay offs so far, but many have not. Jobs in this area (even the software side) are tough to get.

Leigh

Old 05-14-2009, 08:15 AM

75 posts, read 252,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm one of the 400 people that got laid off from Sony Ericsson. I'm a SW engineer and many of my coworkers are EE or ME. The majority of people have had to move out of the area to find jobs. I'm lucky in that my wife works, so we are trying to stay here and find something local for me. It's been 7 months since the layoff and I still have not found anything in my field. J_Lurk is correct in that the metering companies are hiring due to the new administration's green energy stimulus money, but these companies are VERY choosy (it's a buyers' market).
x2...I was laid of from SE (software engineer) at the same time. Luckily I found a job the same week. There are a couple big companies in this area (Harris Stratex, Qualcomm, CISCO, Sensus (hiring), JDSU, ARA, EMC, NetApp ) that may need hardware engineers, but like everyone was saying it's tight.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:50 AM

447 posts, read 1,714,444 times
Like everyone else has said, I know a few laid off EEs and know of a few older ones being offered early retirement. This is a high tech area and with a lot of people moving here in the past to take those jobs, along with NCSU, there is just not a lot of work out there right now. My guess would be that it will be one of the first areas to pick up with the economy, but who knows when that will be.

It is very much worth looking for a job though, Monster and Hot Jobs along with trianglehelpwanted.com would be good places to check. If you get any reply at all, they probably are interested and it is worth looking into.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:55 AM

Thanks all for the advice. Putting a few resumes out wouldn't hurt, and if a company actually does respond (like chuckreis mentioned) and is really is interested, then that would be a great sign with all the applicants out there. If not, staying in our area till the job market picks up again isn't such a bad idea for us.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 AM

5,730 posts, read 17,543,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
x2...I was laid of from SE (software engineer) at the same time. Luckily I found a job the same week. There are a couple big companies in this area (Harris Stratex, Qualcomm, CISCO, Sensus (hiring), JDSU, ARA, EMC, NetApp ) that may need hardware engineers, but like everyone was saying it's tight.
I've heard that ST Ericsson and WaveComm are both shutting down their RTP sites soon. That'll mean more competition for all these jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary