Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 04:02 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,845 times

Advertisements

So, we have this lawn company come and mow our lawn every two weeks. They initially started out at $35 per mowing, then it was raised to $37 and then $40 due to the cost of gas. This was when gas was almost $4 per gallon. That was fine with me, since after all it is a business and they have to make some money. Well, gas prices have come down but the price has not been adjusted. We are still fine with it, until the company is coming EVERY week to mow the lawn. They usually come when we are at work, and they drop off an invoice for the work done. Last month we had specifically told him to come every two weeks. He said because of the rain, the grass was growing quickly so he had to mow it every week. I told him, clear it with us, because the lawn is ok...well, he came last Thursday, and today when I came back, there is another invoice from him - yep, he mowed the lawn today as well!!! Ok, so $160 a month is not going to break us, but I am not happy with this...I think he is taking advantage of the situation.
What are your views before I talk to him? Oh and by the way, not even sure if his prices are competitive, we have an inground sprinkler system and he takes $175 to winterize it, and then another $175 to de-winterize it...
Is it time to look for a new lawn company?
D
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 04:23 PM

93 posts, read 646,123 times
We mow ours every other week. I don't think every single week is necessary.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:26 PM

475 posts, read 1,575,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytrish View Post
We mow ours every other week. I don't think every single week is necessary.
That's what I thought too...it just seems excessive...

Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Depending on the grass I will need to mow every week at least after the rain we've had. You're not suppose to mow more than 1/3 of the top of the grass at any time.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:03 PM

26 posts, read 87,450 times
Depends on the time of year and weather. I need to mow mine every week this time of year (at least). In another month, it will drop to less than that (every other week or less) for the duration of the summer grass burning season. In the fall, after it starts rolling again, I'll up it to every week again.

It really depends on what you want and how good your lawn is. My lawn is so-so, not great, but green (clover and crabgrass are very green and drought resistant). I also mow mine myself with a riding mower and no longer bag the clippings, so if I waited 2 weeks this time of year I would have huge clumps of grass clippings all over the yard (try to mow 1/3 the grass height at most).

Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,782,054 times
We have 3/4 acre and the guy who 'was' doing our lawn was charging fifty bucks a shot. I said to hell with that, bought a used lawn tractor, and do it myself whenever I feel the need (for me, doing the lawn is a sort of stress reliever). Doing the lawn myself over the last two years has paid for the lawn tractor 4x over now... at least. And I don't regret buying it... as a matter of fact, I'll probably buy a new one with a wider cut if the prices of a new one comes down a bit (message me anyone if you know of any great deals).

As for cutting the lawn, I figure we cut it during the spring/summer about once every other week. But sometimes if there is a lot of rain mixed with sunny days, it's once a week. The winter, well, none at all.

The toughest time isn't really cutting, but gathering all the leaves. I've been clearing those every year myself, but next year during the Fall, I'll probably pay someone for that. But for cutting, if you have the time, do it yourself. If you can't physically manage it nor can afford the time, go for paying someone. But it seems forty bucks is going rate for a good sized lawn (w/edging, etc.). The neighbor pays fifty bucks a shot for their 3/4 acre, and they are in and out in less than thirty minutes, if that.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:51 PM

363 posts, read 1,212,699 times
I will say the winterization/start up costs are high. I was p***ed that I paid 85 for shutdown and 125 for startup as I found another reputable firm offering both for 75

Right now it does grow fast and probably needs once a week but as mentioned above when summer comes every other is going to be fine

Old 05-14-2009, 05:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,944,947 times
We mow ours every week. It would get unmanageable if we went any longer than that.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:27 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
We live in a townhome so we don't do any yard upkeep (except for my flowers), however, we had 1/4 acre in RI prior to our move here a year ago. We paid $125/month for weekly grass cutting and $50 in both Fall and Spring for the irrigation system maintenance.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,358,501 times
I have fescue, and I mow my lawn weekly. You do not want to cut more than 1/3 the height of your grass, and going two weeks during the Spring or Fall growing seasons would be too long for my yard to hold to this guideline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary