Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times

Advertisements

I am headed out to a Matinee on this rainy Sunday afternoon and was wondering which theaters in the Triangle are widely considered to be "the best". My wife and I favor the Marquee Cinemas-Wakefield 12 in North Raleigh because it is the closest to my house and it is a nice modern theater. We also go to the Regal North Hills 14 theater but the prices there seem a little higher so we don't hit that theater as much these days. Another favorite of ours is the Rialto in the Five Points area of Raleigh. It is a great older theater that offers beer and wine along with the usual movie snacks.

So which theater is your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 10:50 AM

206 posts, read 596,779 times
Mission Valley on Avent Ferry and Western. Cheap movies with our student ids, and beer! Also a big fan of South Point, but I rarely go down there considering I live in Raleigh.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 AM

338 posts, read 1,619,486 times
We hit the Raleighwood last night. Although I don't think it would qualify as the nicest theater in Raleigh the fact that they have beer, wine and a full menu is nice...especially when you don't have time to make it out for dinner AND a movie separately.

I saw last night that they will be showing the Hurricanes v. Penguins games. I don't know of a sports bar in town that has a TV as big as the screen at Raleighwood!

Old 05-17-2009, 12:10 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,885 times
I like the Galaxy in Cary, which plays a lot of indie films.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:30 PM

39 posts, read 194,668 times
As with most, I like the nicest theater that is closest to me. Crossroads 20 is always clean and I've never had a bad experience there. Can be a pain to get in and out of due to the poor traffic flow at high congestion times though.

It is always fun to hit the IMAX downtown to see a good documentary or special effects laden feature film. The Galaxy in Cary has a lot of independent films that aren't shown anywhere else. Raleighwood is hit or miss for me. I love the idea, dine while you eat. The tickets are cheap, however they make up for that with the price of the food, which is pretty basic. It is a neat experience though, worth trying at least once, or every now and again for a little something different. On the cheap, the Blue ridge dollar theater can't be beat.

I've also wanted to try the outside theater in the park over at the NC Museum of Art, but haven't made it yet. I believe the Koko booth Ampitheater at Regency Park in Cary has something similar during the summer months as well. I was extremely sad to hear that the Starlite drive-in over in Durham closed indefinitely a few years back before I got a chance to check it out. Old drive-ins are always a fun experience, hopefully one day another one will open in this area again. And my recent favorite for the at home movie option is the Redbox rentals at many local grocery stores. $1.07 or whatever a night, love it.

1) Regal Crossroads 20 in Cary
2) IMAX downtown
3) Galaxy in Cary (lots of indie type films)
4) Raleighwood
5) Carmike Blue Ridge 14 (Dollar theater) in Raleigh
6) Starlite Drive-in, Durham R.I.P.

Be sure to sign up for any member rewards programs at your most visited theater. Regal has a good program where you get free movie tickets, drinks, popcorn on a regular basis.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:39 PM

249 posts, read 691,891 times
I prefer the Regal theaters. I used to always go to North Hills when I lived in NE Raleigh. Now that we are in Holly Springs, we go to Crossroads 20. We actually just got back from Angels and Demons. I really like how they have so many theaters so the big new movies have a bunch of show times each week. One of the main reasons I stick with Regal is for their Regal Crown Club. Its free to join and you can get lots of free stuff over time. Every few times you see a movie you get something free. Either a free small popcorn, free soda or free movie ticket. That card has saved a lot of money over the last few years.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 PM

232 posts, read 1,030,834 times
Crossroads 20 gets my vote

Old 05-17-2009, 02:32 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,420,100 times
Galaxy! We love independent/foreign films. Went today as a matter of fact. Saw "Is Anybody There?"...British film with Michael Caine. It was wonderful! You can have beer, wine and many delectable cookies/pastries. A very fun theater indeed!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:19 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Regal North Hills.

Plenty of good food next door to avoid their stupid concession prices.

Old 05-17-2009, 03:29 PM

766 posts, read 1,657,875 times
Brier Creek, North Hills, and Beaver Creek in that order
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary