Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 12:17 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Check out DentalPlans.com

Dental Insurance Alternative – Discount Dental Plans for Individuals and Groups

You pay a one time annual flat fee to join for an individual or family. Then you can select from a variety of dental plans to choose from on a discounted fee-for-service basis.
Just a word of advice regarding a dental plan (not to be confused with insurance)... not all dentists accept a discount plan or are even aware that they accept it. For some, it's rather confusing since they only know how to bill and not discount the service.

What it ends up being, usually, is you pay the price of the service the insurance would have otherwise paid the dentist for the procedure or visit. So if, say, you had insurance and the visit was 100 bucks total. But you only had to pay 10 bucks for a copayment and the dentist bills the insurance company for the rest based on an agreed upon rate. And, let's say the agreed upon rate was fifty bucks between the insurance company and the dentist. The dentist would receive an additional forty bucks (fifty minus your ten) from the insurance company had you had insurance. But with a dental plan, they still get their fifty bucks, but you pay that fee since they are not billing anyone.

That was just a very broad and simple example, but in the long run, they get paid what they would have if you had insurance based on an agreement they have with various insurance companies included in the plan.

Before you even sign up for the plan, you can check out names of dentists that participate under that plan before even paying for that plan. But, just because they are listed doesn't mean the dentist knows about the plan. I know, weird. So, you must call that dentist to make certain that they accept the "discount plan." I emphasize 'disount plan' because this is NOT insurance and sometimes the billing person or customer service person will get that confused with an insurance plan. Be clear with them and make sure they know what you are asking about.

With that, and as long as they accept the discount plan, it does help lessen the financial hit. But remember, just because a dentist accepts an 'insurance plan' doesn't mean they'll accept a 'discount plan.' Ask a lot of questions so you don't get burned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:18 PM

4,161 posts, read 4,876,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
But remember, just because a dentist accepts an 'insurance plan' doesn't mean they'll accept a 'discount plan.' Ask a lot of questions so you don't get burned.
I did one better.... I printed out the information from several plans offered through DentalPlans.com and sat down one on one with the insurance person at my dentist's office. She told me which plans they commonly accepted and which ones to stay away from.

The dentist eventually agreed to accept and enroll in an insurance plan I was offered through my employer, which he didn't participate in at the time. All is good so far and I no longer have to deal with any of the mega "cash cow" dental providers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary