Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2009, 08:58 AM

5 posts, read 14,253 times

Advertisements

Hi Everybody,

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area from Oregon. We lived in NC previously and really miss it.

He has a masters degree in special ed and is hoping to do some substitute teaching or working as a TA to get to know the schools/districts. I've read other posts about the budget cuts in the school systems and the difficulty in getting permanent positions.

Does anybody know what the job market is like for being a substitute or a teaching assistant in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, or even surrounding areas like Pittsboro or Hillsborough?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I'm pretty sure there have been drastic cuts in teaching assistants throughout all school districts here, since local budgets are all suffering and most districts are freezing hiring if not laying off teachers. Subs would be the kind of thing there's a perpetual need for, no matter where you are, I'd imagine? Especially when the teachers have to take a day off to interview for another job

Old 05-19-2009, 11:28 AM

374 posts, read 1,181,600 times
I am sure once the teacher cuts come that it will be very hard to get a substitute teaching job down here. Most of the laid off teachers will probably sign up to become subs.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:05 PM

51 posts, read 159,964 times
I moved down in Jan to Raleigh. Wake County would not hire me(or anyone to sub) because there are/(were?) in a hiring freeze. So I work in Durham. I can get a job most days but I sub in all schools and all grade levels. They only pay 60-something a day. Their pay scales suck. I have a BA and even people with a Masters or PHD are all grouped in the same level as those with a HS diploma only. It is either you have a teaching license or you don't. I would not recommend coming down here and expecting to live off subbing.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:25 PM

149 posts, read 283,848 times
Sub freeze in CHCCS unless focal

Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,253 times
Wow, thanks for the info everybody. Is there any indication that things are going to get better in any of those districts, or does it look like it's staying the same/getting worse?

Also, B-rad69, you said you've been doing some subbing in Durham. Other than the low pay, how has your experience been?

Old 05-19-2009, 03:43 PM

149 posts, read 283,848 times
Things are a bit tense, and the outcome is still not cast in stone over the deficit in budget. Days/hours are being cut for TAs with a hiring freeze, a freeze on subs as there are no funds is the latest we have been told - all subject to change - job prospects may go down as well as up

Old 05-20-2009, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmover View Post
Wow, thanks for the info everybody. Is there any indication that things are going to get better in any of those districts, or does it look like it's staying the same/getting worse?
Budgets for next year are being set now, so it seems likely that things won't get better for at least another budgeting cycle in 2010 or beyond.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:40 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmover View Post
Hi Everybody,

My husband and I are thinking about relocating to the Raleigh/Durham area from Oregon. We lived in NC previously and really miss it.

He has a masters degree in special ed and is hoping to do some substitute teaching or working as a TA to get to know the schools/districts. I've read other posts about the budget cuts in the school systems and the difficulty in getting permanent positions.

Does anybody know what the job market is like for being a substitute or a teaching assistant in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill, or even surrounding areas like Pittsboro or Hillsborough?

Thanks!
We moved 2 years ago from Portland to Durham. While I do think posters are painting an accurate picture of education in the area, keep in mind the economy is not nearly as bad here as it is in Oregon. Historically the economy in NC recovers much quicker than it does in Oregon. Also, your husband has a special ed degree... I think this might give him an edge.

Have you considered looking in smaller school districts? My SIL is an AP at an elementary in Eastern NC (near the coast). She has a background in special ed. PM me if you are interested in looking for jobs in her district.

NC is having an education budget crisis now, but in proportion to things happening in Oregon it's not on the same scale. NC will probably see classroom sizes go up here, but we won't see 30 kids in a Kindergarten Class like our old Portland school had this year. Even in towns like Cary & Chapel Hill you don't see parents holding auctions that raise 195K at one event like some public schools in Portland.... because it's just not needed.

I wouldn't necessarily leave a good teaching job in Oregon to move to NC right now. But if he doesn't have a permenate job then, I would look at moving closely. Do keep in mind teaching jobs are not unionized here..... so pay is lower and benefits for spouses are not that great. But also the school districts do not (and legally can not) threaten to end school weeks early because they are out of money and while the teachers here had to take .5% pay cut the last few months in lieu of 10 hours off, the districts have not asked teachers to work for basically free the last 10 days of school like what happened in PPS schools a few years back.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions. My retired neighbor is able to get more than she wants in terms of subing at a Raleigh Charter School. It's often who you know to get in and then if they like you, your set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary