Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM

133 posts, read 451,029 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of getting a new AC unit installed, hopefully soon. I have had two different companies come out with estimates (called a third, but ARS couldn't get out until June 18th to even look at our existing system, so I have kind of written them off - sorry if that offends anyone).
Anyway... the two companies that I currently have quotes from are Raleigh Heating and Air and G and M Services. They both seem like reputable companies, and I think we have made up our minds with who to go with. But... before I actually make the call to get it scheduled I thought I'd reach out to people on here to see if anyone here has used either of them before. I've done searches and I haven't seen anything negative about either. I think they'd both do a fine job, so we are leaning toward the less expensive of the two... unless I get a whole bunch of responses that stear me otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 12:08 PM

4,070 posts, read 4,800,424 times
This has been a number of years ago, but I had a bad service experience with Raleigh Air. I have two AC units and both were working fine with no issues.

Raleigh Air ran a special ad in the newspaper for cleaning and inspecting central AC systems, so I called them up and scheduled an appointment.

The service tech came to my home and started working on the units. A short time later, he tells me the AC compressor is bad on one of my units because he couldn't get it started.... now remember, these units worked fine before he arrived to service them. He installed a starter capacitor and tried many other things and couldn't get the AC compressor running.

He left, and given the age of the AC unit, I started shopping around for a replacement. After explaining the situation to one of the companies I had asked for an estimate, the salesman insisted that one of their service techs should come out to verify the compressor was actually bad before they sold me a new unit and he would deduct any service fee off the price of the new unit if I actually needed one.... so I said fine.

They sent their service tech out and he had the compressor running in less than 30 minutes and figured out what had happened.

When the Raleigh Air service tech was doing maintenance and checking the heater function, he left an access cover off the air handler unit for too long and the system shut down the compressor to protect it from being damaged. When the tech installed the starting capacitor, he rewired the compressor wrong. So the Raleigh Air service tech caused all the problems and wasted a bunch of my time getting it straightened out.

I called Raleigh Air and informed them of what happened and they sent me a full refund check in the mail. Again, this was many years ago and I don't want to judge the whole company based on this one incident.... but I've not used them since then.

The best advice is to check several references and the BBB ratings for the various companies and go with whoever you feel the most comfortable with.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM

5,458 posts, read 6,695,868 times
I've used G&M a couple of times over the year for minor issues (less than a few hundred each visit). I had no problems with them and felt like I was treated reasonably - they were able to get out quickly, the problem was fixed, they were upfront about my options and didn't try to upsell me, and so on. I have no experience with them as far as bigger jobs go, but if I needed work done they'd at least be on my short list of companies to talk to.

Good luck with the project.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:23 PM

4,000 posts, read 10,808,029 times
Justin Woodlief 796-2017. Extremely knowledgeable, efficient, and great prices. I use him on my own house out of the 50 or so HVAC companies I am familiar with.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:58 PM

145 posts, read 662,223 times
JR Heating & Cooling - 919-795-1898

We have used him for years and refer everyone to him, great guy with great prices and you will be VERY pleased with his service, I promise! The absolute BEST in the business, he knows what he is doing and does NOT overcharge.

Cindy Golden

Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,537,160 times
We have used Newcombe for our Heat Pumps. they are very reliable and I recommend them. No idea of how they rate on pricing and such since it has been 8 yrs (Gasp) since we had to go that route and replace ours. I use their annual service contract which means they come out 2x / yr to service them etc and they are great. no probs with them.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM

154 posts, read 388,594 times
Allen Kelly was recommended to me by several co-workers. They charge a little more but they do quality work.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,979,123 times
We just used G&M to put in a new system for our upstairs a/c. I'd definitely recommend them. They were prompt, polite, did a great job, and the owner called to check and make sure that we were satisfied with the service.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 3,510 times
Default Raleigh heating and air is not raleigh air!

Starglow is referring to Raleigh Air, NOT Raleigh Heating and Air --two different companies all together. People confuse the two all the time and its unfortunate for us as Starglow can attest.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 10-05-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: No self-promotion.

Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 AM

57 posts, read 191,619 times
Has anyone heard of or used Twin Heating and Cooling? Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary