U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2007, 06:53 AM

16 posts, read 80,510 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're coming down next weekend with our two kids (3 and 5) and I was wondering if you could help with any ideas of "must see" activities.

We're focusing on real estate in Chapel Hill, but I'd also love to visit downtown Raliegh because I love the way that it looks in the photos that some of you have posted. Particularly since reading the downtown Chapel Hill thread, I'm not as excited about checking out Franklin St.

I'm not so interested in museums, but more outdoor activities -- fun "main street" type places to stroll, good restaurants that are kid friendly (maybe some barbeque?), etc. Maybe even any local festivals that happen to be on the 14th or 15th? We'd really like to get a feel for the area, the culture, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2007, 08:53 AM

997 posts, read 4,378,670 times
For outdoor activities with kids, try Pullen Park. It is near NC State and Downtown Raleigh. It has a little playground, train ride, paddle boats, and carousel.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:56 PM

25 posts, read 103,740 times
The new "main street" sort of area seems to be becoming the Fayetteville St area (also called South Glenwood). The only thing is it can get pricey, but they have a fun museum for the kids... Exploris-- i used to go there as a kid and love it! i think its free, and all thats in downtown Raleigh.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:27 PM

133 posts, read 678,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
Hi, we're coming down next weekend with our two kids (3 and 5) and I was wondering if you could help with any ideas of "must see" activities....I'm not so interested in museums, but more outdoor activities -- fun "main street" type places to stroll, good restaurants that are kid friendly (maybe some barbeque?), etc. Maybe even any local festivals that happen to be on the 14th or 15th? We'd really like to get a feel for the area, the culture, etc.

Thanks in advance!!
Hi Popcorn!

We're visiting the area this weekend as well. We'll be there from the 13th to the 17th. Maybe I'll see you around at the museums or probably at the SDs doing the house-hunting thing.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-11-2007, 04:57 AM

15 posts, read 42,980 times
We will be visiting this weekend also. Actually arriving Sat aftenoon and leaving on Wed AM. Checking out SDs in Clayton area.

Old 04-11-2007, 07:02 AM

250 posts, read 1,180,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverAStudent View Post
The new "main street" sort of area seems to be becoming the Fayetteville St area (also called South Glenwood). The only thing is it can get pricey, but they have a fun museum for the kids... Exploris-- i used to go there as a kid and love it! i think its free, and all thats in downtown Raleigh.
Exploris is not free.

The North Carolina Museum of Natural Science (also is Downtown Raleigh), is though.

Playspace Children's Museum in Raleigh is also a good bet for kids as young as yours.

UPDATE: Also found the following sites

NC Association of Festivals and Events Has listings of various festival and events through NC. No too much on it for this weekend.

Mellow Mushroom may be a fun place to take the kids--a pizza place on Peace Street in Raleigh and in the American Tobacco District in Durham.

Duke Gardens is a great place to take kids on Duke's campus in Durham.

Southpoint (http://www.streetsatsouthpoint.com/html/index10.asp - broken link) in Durham, although it is a shopping mall has a large outdoor "promenade" with fountains, sculptures, etc.

Last edited by cary_nc; 04-11-2007 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Update

Old 04-11-2007, 08:27 AM

578 posts, read 2,917,571 times
Make sure you hammer out a distinct list of restaurants. Nothing is more frustrating than wasting your vacation/trip time searching out a place to eat. Then only to find it sucks.

Old 04-11-2007, 08:28 AM

1,889 posts, read 5,482,712 times
In Chapel Hill, Carrboro probably has the "kid friendly" atmosphere that you are looking for, as opposed to Franklin street. Check out the farmers market, which has a small playground, on Saturday morning. Weaver Street market has bands on Sunday morning on the lawn, although I do not know if they have started yet. At any rate, if the weather is nice, lots of families will be eating all day long on the lawn during the weekend.

In Chapel Hill, the community center park on Estes road is great. Over in Durham, we love the museum of Life and Science (if you go, you may as well sign up for your membership now, $50 a year gets two adults and I think at least 2 kids unlimited visits). Lots of good kid friendly exhibits (our 20 month old has a blast), plus a farm animal petting zoo, huge butterfly house, lemurs and bears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary