Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2009, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,173 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I just finished at Michigan State University and am looking to move to Raleigh. Although I have received mixed feelings about moving to a new city when I do not have a job waiting in a new city, I find the job market in MI to be unfavorable and lacking potential.

My degree is in Sociology, however I am interested in pursuing a career in the marketing industry. I expect to pick up a few jobs as a waitress or in retail just until I get settled and then search for a position more closely targeted toward my career interest.

I'd like recommendations for apartments, neighborhoods, companies that are hiring for entry-level positions.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 01:02 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Do not come here without a job or a lot of money.

Experienced workers are filling entry level jobs now.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:10 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
Trust your instincts. Do not come here without a job.

As mentioned, entry-level jobs are being snapped up by people no longer employed in other jobs -- such as marketing.

Texas has jobs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinggreen09 View Post
Hello,

I just finished at Michigan State University and am looking to move to Raleigh. Although I have received mixed feelings about moving to a new city when I do not have a job waiting in a new city, I find the job market in MI to be unfavorable and lacking potential.

My degree is in Sociology, however I am interested in pursuing a career in the marketing industry. I expect to pick up a few jobs as a waitress or in retail just until I get settled and then search for a position more closely targeted toward my career interest.

I'd like recommendations for apartments, neighborhoods, companies that are hiring for entry-level positions.

Thank you

Old 05-20-2009, 01:16 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,741 times
I have a bunch of Michigan State grads as friends here in the triangle. Don't listen to the others. Remember the glass is half full, not half empty!

I wish you luck!
Matt

Old 05-20-2009, 01:32 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
I am a big fan of having a job lined up before moving somewhere BUT if I was a young recent college grad who didn't mind waiting tables and living on a shoe string budget for a while I would have no reservations about moving to a new area without a job lined up. There is something to be said for being young and being a risk taker. If you don't have a kids, a lot of debt, and can get by on a minimal amount of money while fidning your way, I say go for it. As bad as the economy is, I know of plenty of places hiring wait staff in the area. People with the a positive attitude and a good work ethic can make it even in a bad economy when their finanical needs are minimal IMHO. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

447 posts, read 1,620,072 times
Look for an apartment or house rental in these areas that are near downtown Raleigh but still safe: Cameron Village, Five Points, Glenwood Avenue, Hillsborough St., Wade Avenue, Crabtree Valley mall area, North Hills mall area (place also has apartments across from mall). Even though the job market sucks right now, this is one of the few areas doing better than the rest of the country right now. You'll like it here!

Old 05-20-2009, 03:32 PM

850 posts, read 4,741,689 times
I won't start in on the "don't move here if you don't have a job" bandwagon, but I just wanted to add that you need to be prepared to have a co-signer for an apartment here as they all require local employment, most equaling 3 times the rent.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:01 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
I'd look at some of the post war apartment buildings just West of Downtown Raleigh. Check out Cameron Court, The Raleigh Apartments, Mayo St. Apts., etc. All are old, inexpensive and excellently located for a young recent college grad.
While it's easy to say "don't move without a job", most of the people here haven't lived in Michigan of 2009. I'd probably move too if I were you. Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2009, 06:28 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,954 times
GO GREEN! Congrats on graduating. MSU Alum here...been down here permanently since 1998 and LOVE it. Tons of MSU grads in the area. Check out the MSU Triangle Alumni group on FB. When football season starts we all meet at the Rudino's on Strickland Rd. to watch games (we're there for basketball too). Come out and join us!

I have to agree with NRG. If you don't mind roughing it for a bit come on down here and give it a try. Job scene isn't great here but it is WAY better than Michigan right now unfortunately. I bet you could find a cheap sublease around NCSU for the summer to try and get on your feet. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary