Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:40 PM

29 posts, read 88,916 times

Advertisements

it's very close to $500k
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM

do you think i can cut the dirt and add some retaining wall to make it like a garden? Would that be a plus when comes to resale. Of course, I guess the landscaping will be very expensive.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:13 PM

27 posts, read 65,944 times
Depends on whether it's a leach field or just a privacy berm...if it's a privacy berm, I would think you could do something with it to make it less obtrusive (a patio w/ retaining wall might be a great idea). If, on the other hand, it's a required structure (leach field, etc.), you may not be able to do anything with it. Honestly, if it were me, it would be a detraction, based on the sales price.

Best of luck on the decision!!
Jamie

Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
If it gives you pause about buying the house, don't you think it would do the same for others?
I agree, if you see it as a possible negative chances are future buyers will as well.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:20 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
It is not a leach field, that is a small lot so no septic. It is for privacy and will probably send quite a bit of water towards your foundation, or leave standing water in the flat area of your backyard. I see so many drainage issues in those type neighborhoods....there just is not a good way to get rid of heavy amounts of rain water by swale alone. That neighborhood was more than likely a big field and all the houses are on fill/graded dirt. That berm is a common technique with developers to give a facade of privacy so they can stack more houses on the land. I just wanted to give you another side of the coin to think about.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
I wouldn't let it keep me from a house I loved, but I'd make sure I could pay for someone else to maintain it. If you buy the house, spent a bunch of money getting juniper put on it this fall. Then you won't waste your time and money trying to grow grass on it.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 PM

If the house is relative new, will I be able to find out the possible foundation problem by inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
It is not a leach field, that is a small lot so no septic. It is for privacy and will probably send quite a bit of water towards your foundation, or leave standing water in the flat area of your backyard. I see so many drainage issues in those type neighborhoods....there just is not a good way to get rid of heavy amounts of rain water by swale alone. That neighborhood was more than likely a big field and all the houses are on fill/graded dirt. That berm is a common technique with developers to give a facade of privacy so they can stack more houses on the land. I just wanted to give you another side of the coin to think about.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindtwhite View Post
If the house is relative new, will I be able to find out the possible foundation problem by inspection?
Yes we can determine if there are foundation issues, but it is moisture intrusion I would be more concerned about. The foundation is in all likelihood not an issue. Even with fill dirt, the soil is compacted to a density of non-fill earth.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:53 PM

ah... sounds like a dealbreaker...I love the house though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Yes we can determine if there are foundation issues, but it is moisture intrusion I would be more concerned about. The foundation is in all likelihood not an issue. Even with fill dirt, the soil is compacted to a density of non-fill earth.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:16 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
I'm not understanding the issue... are we just talking about a mound of dirt on the property that sort of separates the one property from another. Are you allowed to do anything with it like plantings? If not, I would properly be concerned as well since part of the enjoyment of a home is what you see visually from within it. But if you do have control of it, a lot of landscaping magic can be created on raised levels of dirt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary