Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had experience with Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden nursery, especially with regards to tree planting?

We're still fairly new in the area, and considering having them plant some trees in our yard; we'd like to hear your recommendation (or not) about this nursery. Please send me direct mail if you have had a bad experience.

They have what sounds like a good guarantee, but every person there that I talk to gives me a slightly different answer, and I can't seem to find the guarantee written down anywhere. They say they don't have it in writing, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Guess I've been around too long and seen too much -- which makes me cautious and I just want to know what to watch out for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Check BBB for rating.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:01 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Has anyone had experience with Atlantic Avenue Orchid & Garden nursery, especially with regards to tree planting?

We're still fairly new in the area, and considering having them plant some trees in our yard; we'd like to hear your recommendation (or not) about this nursery. Please send me direct mail if you have had a bad experience.

They have what sounds like a good guarantee, but every person there that I talk to gives me a slightly different answer, and I can't seem to find the guarantee written down anywhere. They say they don't have it in writing, which makes me a bit uncomfortable. Guess I've been around too long and seen too much -- which makes me cautious and I just want to know what to watch out for.

It is a great Nursery. Other great Nurseries in Raleigh include Homewood, and Logans. You may also want to look in to Just Trees in Garner.

FWIW, I would not use your hard earned money to plant a tree now. The heat of summer will take its toll. For best results, plant your trees and shrubs in the fall. Speding a lot of money on planting a tree now is risky IMO.

Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM

148 posts, read 676,625 times
Be careful what you are planting - we are going into the summer heat and now is not a great time to plant trees, especially the ball-and-burlap trees. Because the tree is not well rooted, the heat causes the tree stress and many times the tree will die.

Best time to plant trees is in the Fall. We are advising all our customers to wait until Fall on planting larger trees and that we can not guarantee summer tree plantings, especially ones that have to be dug at the nurseries(ball-and-burlap).

Old 05-22-2009, 06:07 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Thank you all for the replies. The nursery said it won't hurt to plant the tree now since the roots are in a large pot (not a ball). He explained why that makes a difference, but I can't explain it here. They do guarantee the planting and will replace the tree if it dies within 6 months (that will take us through the summer). The key is thorough watering 2-3 times a week, they said.

I appreciate the pointers to the other nurseries. I will check them out for trees. Thanks again. Reps to everyone who replied! You all are great!

Old 05-22-2009, 07:26 PM

261 posts, read 1,216,488 times
Default Won't hurt to plant now

We had our entire landscaping installed in July 3 years ago. Grass, trees, shrubs...only lost 3 plants. Those we lost weren't due to the heat but to an underground water issue. When I pulled up the dead plants, the holes were full of water.

Key is to be diligent about watering everything.

I just redesigned my entire yard, relocating everything and adding a bunch of new plants. The gardenias are in full revolt -apparently they are extremely angry about moving! Everything else seems to being doing just fine.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:37 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,127,858 times
We recently bought tons of bushes, shrubs, and other plants from Atlantic Nursery. We installed them ourselves, but the staff at the Nursery were wonderful with ensuring we were buying the right products for our spot. They might not be the least expensive in town, but the knowledge we gained from doing business there was well worth any higher price differences.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:05 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Thank you all for the replies. The nursery said it won't hurt to plant the tree now since the roots are in a large pot (not a ball). He explained why that makes a difference, but I can't explain it here. They do guarantee the planting and will replace the tree if it dies within 6 months (that will take us through the summer). The key is thorough watering 2-3 times a week, they said.

I appreciate the pointers to the other nurseries. I will check them out for trees. Thanks again. Reps to everyone who replied! You all are great!
Listen to the advice of posters about it being to late. I believe you said the warranty was rather general. Also how can you prove you watered it 2-3 times a week if they say you voided the warranty by not watering it? Even if it lives through the summer the tree will still be under stress and the consequences of that will be felt later down the road. If you wait a few months the odds say you will have a much healthier tree come next spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary