Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 09:57 AM

54 posts, read 256,437 times

Advertisements

The new recycling cart got so much hype in this forum, but I am really wondering whether all of you think it is definitely better than the old bin.

I used to sort through things and put them in the bin well organized. In my previous town, we were required to put things in order. You just cannot pile them up altogether, otherwise they wouldn't be collected. At pickup, the recycling workers just did the sorting onsite, putting things in different compartments of the truck. With the new cart coming, finally I got it. I can, or I should just throw everthing into the cart like the garbage can. Still feel a little guilty thinking of what the recyling workers have to go through to sort them out. Do we have automatical machines to do the sorting in Cary?

I also don't like the fact that the cart would take more valued space in my garage. I used to put the bin on top of one storge box.

The pickup change from one week to every other week is not a good thing either.

Last thing, why don't they have a bright color for the recycling cart? We are making the earth brighter by recyling, right? Now, it is more like a garbage can to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
tfchaitf,

I tried real hard to find just ONE positive comment in your post, but alas, I could not. Please try to make lemonade from all these lemons.

I started 15 years ago in Massachusetts drilling recycling into my wife's head. Politely, but firmly. Many, or nearly all, of our neighbors in our yuppie town kept tossing recyclables in with the trash. Shockingly, even though we too had newspapers in one bin and co-mingled in another, I one day spotted the trash man hurling the contents of both bins into the trash compartment. I confronted him then and there, and his excuse was that I had "contaminated" the recyclables by including flattened empty cereal boxes. I called his company and turns out he was counseled to correct his ways. Out town became among the top recycling communities eventually no thanks to me, but it was inspiring to see positive change.

As far as the here-and-now, be glad you are part of a community that takes recycling seriously. As far as I have been told, there are humans that sort the recyclables and by doing this we are keeping folks employed. And, it's a valued and valuable job. If you visit the convenience centers and toss out your recyclables you will find there, too, phone books and milk jugs and beer bottles all mixed in together. Not a problem.

Space in the garage? Not a problem. If you can leave it in a somewhat unobtrusive area of your side yard it is the color of Cary beige that will not offend, or, sacrifice the space in garage in favor of the recycle bin by eliminating or relocating something else.

I personally feel really, really good about the effort and sacrifice it takes to recycle, as the dividends are huge. Please, I encourage you to overcome the negatives you described in your post and bask in the glow of what you are doing for your planet! I am REALLY not such a cornball in real life, but I am trying to buck you up. Negativity is contagious. I'm trying to spread some Memorial Day weekend cheer around cuz it may just be needed. Help me out by recycling the good vibes!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:33 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfchaitf View Post
The pickup change from one week to every other week is not a good thing either.
Why not? I like not having to drag out the bin every other week.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:38 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
I think they may be too small, with the addition of cardboard and chipboard.
But, I like that it has a lid to keep paper items dry on wet days, and to let me take the recycling outside the garage. Even lightly cleaned recyclables have appeal to bugs, ants, etc.

It seems to me that sorting the goods en masse must be safer than a couple of workers riding in the backs of trucks tossing items as the truck is moving.
Lots of opportunities for injuries as workers hop in and out of trucks. Backs, knees, ankles...

Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Still waiting for mine (toe tap)

I feel like my recycled paper will be messy in there and will the glass break dropping it into such a large container?

Old 05-22-2009, 10:43 AM

792 posts, read 4,489,020 times
I like the new bin, particularly the size of it, as the old bin would often overflow before collection day. What I couldn't figure out from the pamplet left with it, is what collection schedule I'm on - I understand that it's every other week but how do I know when it's a collection week and when it's not. I guess I'll have to look at the town website to figure that out.

Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
tfchaitf,

I tried real hard to find just ONE positive comment in your post, but alas, I could not. Please try to make lemonade from all these lemons.
I like the lid and rolling part. But, do I have to put it here? I was just surprised to see people only have positives to say about the new recycling in the other thread.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
But, I like that it has a lid to keep paper items dry on wet days, and to let me take the recycling outside the garage. Even lightly cleaned recyclables have appeal to bugs, ants, etc.

It seems to me that sorting the goods en masse must be safer than a couple of workers riding in the backs of trucks tossing items as the truck is moving.
Lots of opportunities for injuries as workers hop in and out of trucks. Backs, knees, ankles...
The truck is not moving when they (not the driver) do the sorting. There is a side step for the sorting worker to stand on, and a vertical bar to hold on to.

Old 05-22-2009, 11:13 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
In the fine print on the flyer that came with the bin there is a line that says "After receiving your 65 gallon cart, you may request an initial switch to a larger 95 gallon cart at no cost." Some friends and I noticed this over lunch one day, called the Town of Cary Public Works at 469-4090 and handed the phone from person to person and all requested a switch. We all got new bins with our next recycling pickup. (95 gallons is the same size as our trash bins). The person on the phone told me there would be a charge if I wanted to switch back, but I assured her I didn't think that was a worry.

And I love my new new recycling bin!

Old 05-22-2009, 11:49 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfchaitf View Post
I like the lid and rolling part. But, do I have to put it here? I was just surprised to see people only have positives to say about the new recycling in the other thread.

I'm not picking on you, smile smile. I think you started a great thread and it keeps everyone lightened up.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the lid too as it seemed every time we put out the newspapers before, it was like doing a rain dance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary