Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 03:13 AM

2 posts, read 3,418 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in Raleigh, NC, I can tell you that the Beltline plays a significant part in "old" money versus "new" money. Inside the Beltline is where the "old" money live and the home prices are substantially more expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
Old money generally is money that was inherited down through the years within some of the old prominent Raleigh or NC families.

Old money might get you in Carolina Country Club, and new money will probably keep you out

Old 06-12-2011, 08:40 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
New money are yuppie transplants who bought McMansions with bubble profits.

They then putter to Harris-Teeter in Hummer H2's.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:53 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,839,827 times
I think a lot of the new money was fleeting, and many of them are back to being regular money like the rest of us.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
This is the new money-old money difference in NC as well as the rest of the United States. New money is flashy and about consumerism; old money is not.

Excellent defination. Old money knows they have it--New money wants everyone to know they have it...

Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM

233 posts, read 269,876 times
Old money is inherited and held by stuffy people who like to separate themselves from the commoners.

New money is earned and held by mostly normal people.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
New money are yuppie transplants who bought McMansions with bubble profits.

They then putter to Harris-Teeter in Hummer H2's.

Old 06-12-2011, 03:42 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Old money generally is money that was inherited down through the years within some of the old prominent Raleigh or NC families.

Old money might get you in Carolina Country Club, and new money will probably keep you out
Yeah. That sums it up. For this region, anyway.

Pretty much everyone I know that qualifies as old money rarely talks about money. They just enjoy a certain freedom afforded to people who've grown up always having money. That freedom is the freedom from worry about affording the costs of day-to-day living.

Old 06-12-2011, 04:28 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Along the same line...there are some folks here who are loaded but you wouldn't know it. They drive an old car or a beat up truck, live in humble homes, or old, smaller ones inside the beltline. They appear to not have money....

Old 06-12-2011, 05:29 PM

205 posts, read 487,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeinabottle View Post
...I think its pretty funny that these trust fund babies think they are superior to other people just because they ride on their family's coattails.
I completely agree. As I read through this thread (having an unfortunate relationship with some "old money" Raleighites), that was what I was thinking all along. The BIG difference between "old" and "new" money is that the new money folks actually earned their money. The old money folks had great-grandparents who were visionaries and successful financially. So much so that their children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren were able to reap the rewards of their successes. Who feel completely entitled to their privilege while looking down their noses at the rest of us who weren't handed a bank account, real estate and a trust fund on a silver platter.

I have NO respect for folks that rest on their ancestors' laurels and look down at the rest of the world as if they have some reason to feel superior. The folks I mentioned earlier think they "work" because they run a business that they inherited. *snort* Running it into the ground is more like it. You have to have a few real life skills in order to be a successful leader, and having everything given to you with no effort on your part is the best way to avoid the possibility of a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary