U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:34 AM

991 posts, read 4,437,927 times

Advertisements

Okay all the transplants complain there is no ggod Pizza, Chinese food, so what does NC have that you did not have up North that you like? When i visited there was a place called Cookout I thought for fast food it had the best hamburger! Just a fun post!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 06:39 AM

9,794 posts, read 28,878,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Okay all the transplants complain there is no good Pizza, Chinese food
Not all of us! There is great Pizza and Chinese food, there really is.

This is a fun post though! The one thing I have discovered here that I didn't have where I grew up is all the great Farmer's Markets. Nothing like buying fruits and vegetables direct from the grower!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:08 AM

40,175 posts, read 69,495,331 times
We are in barbecue heaven!
Hushpuppies1
Skins!
Sweet tea!
Collards!

Fish fry!
Biscuits! I mean, REAL biscuits!
Sausage biscuits!
Sausage and egg biscuits!
Biscuits and gravy!

Shrimp and grits!

Man, I just had a big breakfast, now a bagel, and my mouth is waterin' over the bountiful selections for lunch and supper!

Old 04-09-2007, 08:28 AM

13,163 posts, read 815,735 times
I like some of the food. Barbecue was a surprise. I like sauce on mine. Sweet tea is still too sweet for me.

Don't even show me hush puppies. Up north, hush puppies are shoes and we didn't eat them.

However, for the second time in my life (once ten years ago I tried cooking them) I tried Okra - and guess what - I liked it. Tried collard greens, and they're fine. Not something I'd make a point of getting, but will happily eat it if it's in front of me. I love grits. Never liked biscuits until I got here!

There IS good pizza. Usually it's a little shop tucked away somewhere and you have the fun of eating LOTS of pizza before you find it. I'm still looking for good Chinese in WF or N Raleigh areas.

Farm stands? Yes. Love them. There's one just around the corner from us, and I'm hoping the April strawberries I was looking forward to didn't suffer in the freeze we just had. The Farmers' Market is great! I hear anyone can buy produce wholesale in the wholesale building

What else I like - I love the people, the more relaxed attitudes, patience in traffic (I know, I know...if they toot their horn to get you going they're northerners! ), time to talk (to anyone, whether they know them or not) about anything (whether it's of interest or not) Strangers blessing me (I need all the blessing I can gather).

I think NC is beautiful - it can hold its own against any other state. I especially like the plants and trees that are new to me - a ravine full of wild wisteria climbing high to the treetops is breathtaking! - NC has everything anyone could want. Can't wait to explore it farther out. Can't wait for our first trip to the NC mountains, or the coast. I'm finding that getting lost is one of the best ways to explore! And I do a lot of that

Old 04-09-2007, 05:03 PM

177 posts, read 819,711 times
I've got great pizza a short walk from my house - so that dispells that rumour.

As for chinese food, well, I lived in the Vancouver, BC for 6 years and will, forever, compare any other to what I had the pleasure of consuming there. But that's just me.

And as for "what does NC have to offer", well...

There's a peacefulness here that's unexplainable. My move concluded this weekend - and despite the trauma and drama associated with it (I had to call 911 for my cable guy, if that gives you any indication), I felt "good" - if that makes any sense. And I don't live in the 'burbs - I live right in the city.

Everyone I've met here has been just incredibly sweet - coworkers, shoppe people, grocery clerks, utilities folks, my neighbours, passers-by, etc. And genuine. Very, very genuine. It's a far cry from the PNW, where what is perceived as "friendliness" is no more than "apathetic lip service". I've been here less than a week and, already, have invitations to things like dinner, movies, "hanging out", etc. I lived in the Seattle metro for 6 months before moving here and never even had so much as a "hello" from my next door neighbour. (BC was different - but that's another story.)

There's "life" here - and it's all for enjoying.

YMMV

eileen

Old 04-09-2007, 05:17 PM

5,644 posts, read 12,506,395 times
Mapleview Farms in Chapel Hill/Orange

Nothing like going there in the summer picking up some milk (esp. the chocolate milk, best ever) in real glass bottles.

Then getting a home made ice cream cone, ($1.00 for the kiddies) and sitting on one of the many rockers on the front porch watching the sunset over the neighboring farms...

One of my favorite summer time places to go...

Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,050,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Okay all the transplants complain there is no ggod Pizza, Chinese food, so what does NC have that you did not have up North that you like? When i visited there was a place called Cookout I thought for fast food it had the best hamburger! Just a fun post!

Ohhhh, CookOut is great! I've hit the one on Capital Bvld-great tea, I like the bbq and coleslaw, and the fried cornbread ball thingys, hushpuppies. Delicious!

Old 04-09-2007, 07:36 PM

12,475 posts, read 30,680,065 times
What NC has is CHARM! AND...decent prices on real estate, wonderful people and just a great atmosphere for raising a family and living LIFE.

Vicki

Old 04-09-2007, 08:35 PM

553 posts, read 2,240,951 times
There are many excellent reastaurants and services in the area. What they are complaining about is most likely 1 specific place the transplants have come to love that is not here. Like me for example. The best coffee on the planet is Pete's coffee and Tea. Hands down, no substitute. But there are no Pete's out here so I complain about that lack of good coffee. Really, what wehave here is fine. I just got spolied!

Last edited by deuterdu; 04-09-2007 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Misspelling really

Old 04-09-2007, 08:58 PM

193 posts, read 215,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deuterdu View Post
The best coffee on the planet is Pete's coffee and Tea. Hands down, no substitute. But there are no Pete's out here so I complain about that lack of good coffee. Really, what wehave here is fine. I just got spolied!
I think that you mean Peet's Coffee and Tea and yes, they are very good. They opened a store in the Austin a couple of years ago but it didn't last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>