Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 PM

305 posts, read 713,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDollie View Post
"improved the area?" How? Stripped the land to build McMansions, roads, strip malls?

Air quality improved? Water quality improved? More trash? Displaced nature? Property taxes down?
If you're stating any of that for Charlton Dude,
you're beating your head against a brick wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:10 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,341 times
Default So Durham and Chapel Hill are 'burbs of Raleigh now?

The editors at Kiplingers REALLY need to learn the difference between "metropolitan" and "combined statistical areas"!

In their own list which is linked in the main article: Kiplinger's Complete City Rankings for 2009: See How Your City Ranks, Search Places for Lowest Cost of Living and Higest Income Growth they have Durham and Raleigh-Cary as seperate metro areas. But, when they tout Raleigh in its seperate page, they include the Durham metro in the population? And is Cary any more valuable to Raleigh than Chapel Hill is to Durham that they get their own dual city designation?

And to add more insult to the OC and Bull City they imply that UNC and Duke are foundations of Raleigh!? And last I looked, the overwhelming majority of RTP was in Durham County!

But I guess in this type of shallow media population that Kiplingers tries to appeal to perception is worth more than reality, especially when it is just a beacon for disgruntled Northerners who really have no sense of where they are and the history and culture of the areas that they adopt.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,897,872 times
^^^^^^^^

you know one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refer to the area as "Raleigh-Durham" that's an airport, not a city. This is not the twin cities, IMO................yet

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
^^^^^^^^

you know one of my biggest pet peeves is when people refer to the area as "Raleigh-Durham" that's an airport, not a city. This is not the twin cities, IMO................yet
Sorry about that.

When people ask me and my wife where we're moving, that's how we respond... 'cause we could conceivably live in either area.

And this comes from someone who currently lives in the Baltimore-Washington metro... which is also an airport.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:28 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Sorry about that.

When people ask me and my wife where we're moving, that's how we respond... 'cause we could conceivably live in either area.

And this comes from someone who currently lives in the Baltimore-Washington metro... which is also an airport.
Also it helps people to understand where you are talking about. It is like telling people you are moving to Raleigh when really it is Clayton etc. Are there builders who say they are in Cary when really they are close by?

Old 05-27-2009, 04:38 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Taylor View Post
If you're stating any of that for Charlton Dude,
you're beating your head against a brick wall.
I have truth on my side.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:39 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
THe truth has set some free...

Old 05-27-2009, 07:47 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
The good thing is that my side won out. Just saying -- progress happens. Now we have more funds from more taxpayers, keeping tax rates low while providing more services, the roads have improved and much of the area looks far superior.

There is one improvement I would GLADLY pay MORE tax for--

BUILDING A GREAT WALL..would that look nice?

Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
There is one improvement I would GLADLY pay MORE tax for--

BUILDING A GREAT WALL..would that look nice?
Depends on which side you are on and what's happening on the other!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
This is actually not good. When your city gets heavily publicized as being great, flocks of people will come, and your city will no longer be great.
Um, you're about 20 years too late for that observation

Quote:
At a certain point quality of life begins degrading because of the influx.........
That "certain point" was about a decade ago.
Quote:
Education? How long has Duke, UNC, State, etc been in the area? With the growth of RTP, comes the addition of highly educated people from around the world. That is kind of a no brainer.
This area has ranked on the "most educated in the country" lists since at least the 1980s. Which you might know if you'd lived here more than 3 or 4 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary