Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2009, 03:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,681 times

Advertisements

Hi all!
I'm planning a move down to the area at the end of July. I'm searching for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment or a home to rent. My ideal would be something under $750 and NOT university housing. I'm curious if anyone can provide tips and suggestions for finding good rentals. I've done the craigslist search, and big databases, and have only started looking at local real estate agents. I've found a few things but feel I am missing some secret strategy. Also, is July a tough month for rentals or do the students make their moves in August?

I'm still researching areas. I like Carrboro for the community vibe, Cat's Cradle and Weaver Street Market but am single and in my early 30's and fear it may be too family oriented. I've heard good things about Durham - kind of gritty/funky but up and coming with great new restaurants but obvious divisions between "students" and "non-students". And am beginning to hear some great things about Raleigh - rich history, good food, cool artist cooperatives. I myself am an artist/teacher.

I'd welcome any advice regarding these areas but I'm more interested in unlocking the secrets of renting.

Thanks for your help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 04:00 PM

19 posts, read 71,648 times
Here is a useful tip, try technicianonline.com. That is the NC State newspaper and look under classifieds, you will find a handful of rental options that may suit you. I would also suggest the UNC and DUKE student newspapers as well. Im not aware of their websites or if they exist.

Hope this is helpful.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:09 AM

3 posts, read 12,708 times
I've lived in the Raleigh area for the last 2 years and just completed my 3rd rental search. We have similar rental cost limits as you and we are very allergic and noise sensitive people (to give you an idea of our requirements). Apartmentratings.com served us well the first year (we lived at Avalon Peaks in Apex, which has a 98% approval rating and we absolutely loved it! Only downside is there are no bike paths or sidewalks outside of the community, and Ten Ten Road is a busy, narrow, 2 lane road). and the reviews and percentages on this website are great guidelines.

Apartmentratings.com has nothing approaching that percentage for Cary or Raleigh, and we aren't happy where we are currently (77% Summit at Avent Ferry). For this last move, I used realtor.com and their rental search feature, and I'm happy with the place I found (although haven't moved in yet). This doesn't really include apartments, but if you decide to look at private rentals it is great. I've found that most independent realtors also list on craigslist.com, especially in our/your price range.

I can't help with the Carborro or Chapel Hill area, but those sites may be of help if you haven't already used them. (Those might have better public transportation for you to get into the city than Raleigh, which may let you find someplace cheaper and less student oriented further out) And I don't know about availability in July in the areas you mentioned, but the places you'd most likely want (inexpensive but not student housing) wouldn't be tided to the school year as much, I'd guess. May and August will probably present more student rental competition than July, but I don't really know.

I hope that helps! I could write more but I'm afraid that's already more info than you were looking for.

Last edited by spot215; 05-29-2009 at 10:36 AM.. Reason: clarification in first paragraph

Old 05-29-2009, 02:42 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,041,614 times
Driving around the neighborhoods you might want to rent a house in and looking for rental signs may work. We were very fortunate to find a great tenant for our rental home two hours after we put up a sign. I learned from another landlord in the neighborhood that signs worked best for him, too. We've advertised on Craigslist before and won't do that again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary