Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2009, 08:12 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,411 times

Advertisements

until now. A new Walmart Supercenter is opening June 17th on Glen School Rd. off I85 in Northwest Durham. The old Walmart on Roxboro Rd. will be closed. Walmart is the master of jumpin gin early before the growth reallygets going in an area. I guess this reflects the general growth of the Triangle area.

More info here:
Bull City Rising

Last edited by autumngal; 06-18-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: no links to blogs, ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 08:27 PM

159 posts, read 608,799 times
I like Wal-Mart a lot, but I have to say, if ever there was a store that I do not mind seeing closed, it's the Roxboro Rd. Wal-Mart. That place is unbelievably horrid. I'm so happy for the citizens of northern Durham - they deserve better!

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 PM

426 posts, read 1,455,420 times
Yeah, that Roxboro Rd Walmart was terrible. Where is this place going to be? I'm not familiar with Glen School Rd. and I wonder if that's too far up north to be any use to the rest of Durham.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,262,411 times
It's just an exit or two past where 70 splits off from I85. It won't be far for folks in wester and northern Durham and it will be a lot closer for the folks in Creedmoor and Oxford.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 28,338 times
O M G !! A new walmart ! Wow I can't wait to see it - except where is it again ? I hear it's somewhere off of 85 ~ I hated going to the walmart on Roxboro Rd so I went to the one in Hillsboro it was like going to Mexico on Roxboro

Old 06-18-2009, 01:22 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,464,867 times
The new Wal-Mart is off I-85 on Glenn School Road (exit 180). It's a huge Super Wal-Mart.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:34 PM

190 posts, read 1,075,525 times
I am not a huge Walmart fan, but I too, am VERY glad to see the Roxboro Rd. Walmart go bye-bye.... It is a dump in every sense of the word.... I just hope they fix the place up and put something nice in there, I would hate to see it vacant for decades....

Old 06-19-2009, 06:43 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,913,640 times
Moderator cut: removed
To misquote Arthur C. Clarke, if an author can't violate their own copyright, whose can they violate?

~~~~~

At one new Wal-Mart, there are signs proclaiming a forthcoming grand opening, just past the middle of June.

At another, older store, all signs point to closure, and a large hole looming inside an aging shopping center.

First, the new store: the Wal-Mart SuperCenter under construction off of I-85 at Glenn School Road now has an opening date of June 17 listed in signs posted to its door. Hiring for the store continues in an adjacent retail pad within the newly-constructed strip center.

On the flip side, the closure of the Roxboro Rd. Wal-Mart is apparently a done deal, as has been hinted at for a while (including comments on the last post we had on the subject, in which Durham blogger Joe noted some signs directing customers to Glenn School Rd.)

If you've been itching for a chance to open a big box retail store where a Wal-Mart used to be, the 120,000 sq. ft. site where Wal-Mart sits today right next to Durham Regional Hospital is on the market for just $2.95 million. From the LoopNet property description:

"The Subject is a "big box" retail property currently operated by Walmart until the completion of a larger Supercenter [is] final. Relocation is expected in mid-2009. The property is located at the northeast corner of Roxboro Street (Highway 501) and Old Oxford Road in Durham, North Carolina. This is a high-traffic intersection with an estimated Average Annual Daily Traffic Count of 25,000 vehicles per day....

The property provides a unique opportunity for an investor or end-user to acquire an infill big box property with high barriers to entry adjacent to a regional shopping center and Durham Regional Hospital."

For what it's worth, the Wal-Mart strip center, which has found itself looking rather tired and dated, was only built in 1990. While there are some creative efforts to repurpose these large, windowless spaces -- from courthouses to libraries to go-kart tracks -- the typical meme is for one of these suckers to sit vacant for as long as it takes for the rest of the center to go bust, then to tear the whole darned thing back down and start over again.

~~~~~

HTH!

Last edited by autumngal; 06-19-2009 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: you know why
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary