Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:51 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,399,076 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad it's that time of year again.

Cary News | Farmers, start your markets (http://www.carynews.com/news/cary/story/12193.html - broken link)

"The first rule of a farmers market is, if you didn’t grow it, bake it or make it, you can’t sell it. That was the case this past weekend, as neighbors put their vendor hats on and kicked off the season for two markets’ opening weekends in Cary and Apex."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 06:01 PM

18,140 posts, read 15,709,192 times
CD, seriously...the Cary Farmer's Market is about 8 little stands total. I tried to buy strawberries last year and the few (yes few) pints available were so overpriced. Most of the vendors have some kind of co-op agreement going so all their stuff is already pre-sold. I gave up on the Cary "Farmer's Market" (i.e. the few little fruit/veggie stands) and hike to the NC State Farmer's Market where there's a LOT of vendors and the prices are also a lot better. I feel bad because I live about 1 mi from the Cary one, but it's a joke as Farmer's Markets go.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
CD, seriously...the Cary Farmer's Market is about 8 little stands total. I tried to buy strawberries last year and the few (yes few) pints available were so overpriced. Most of the vendors have some kind of co-op agreement going so all their stuff is already pre-sold. I gave up on the Cary "Farmer's Market" (i.e. the few little fruit/veggie stands) and hike to the NC State Farmer's Market where there's a LOT of vendors and the prices are also a lot better. I feel bad because I live about 1 mi from the Cary one, but it's a joke as Farmer's Markets go.
It's not about having some mega market. It's about having a place close by to pick up some fresh veggies, without having to deal with all the stuff involved with going to the state market. It's a zoo at the state farmers market and not very much fun. We have never had an issue with going to the local farmers markets. The people are super friendly and have great product. I hear there is one opening up this year at Carpenter Village. That will be AWESOME!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 PM

18,140 posts, read 15,709,192 times
If you say so and you like paying more than just about any other fruit/veggie stand out there. However, when I went to 3 different booths in the Cary "farmer's market" and NOT ONE stand would sell a pint of strawberries (because they were already 'sold' to other customers who were coming to pick them up), I couldn't understand the point of them putting up their tent in the first place.

I'm not dissing ALL farmer's markets...I'm saying the one in Cary near the Amtrak station was a joke when I went there. I gave it 2 tries and then gave up. No way is it a Farmer's market. At best it's a fruit stand with a few little individual tents, some home baked goods, some fruit/veggies (but not much) and premium prices almost double what is found elsewhere. It is what it is.

Good thing I like picking my own strawberries...for a fraction of what the Cary fruit stands were charging I got 8 lbs of the freshest strawberries.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:50 PM

250 posts, read 1,246,352 times
The Western Wake Farmer's Market will have its grand opening in Carpenter Village in Cary on Saturday, May 2nd . The farmer's market will be open Saturdays from 8 am - noon from May-November.

Click the link above to check out their excellent line up of vendors. Here's hoping it's a huge success!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,311,177 times
If you go to the state farmer's market on a Saturday during the high point of the season, yes, it will be crowded. However, there are so many vendors with so much available, it's not a problem to find what you need and not spend a lot of time there. I actually like the buzz of activity when there are a lot of people there.

However, if you go during the week instead of on the weekend, you won't have to deal with large crowds. I prefer this market because there are so many vendors to choose from - for plants as well as produce. One vendor has a huge variety of herbs to choose from, many of which are difficult to find elsewhere.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM

31 posts, read 106,252 times
2nd the vote as Cary having the worst Farmers market ever. I have been to "Towns" 1/10 the size with 10x the selection. It really is a joke.

I went to the one in Durham - also - really not that great either, but definitely better. How does NC State compare to Durham?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,051,235 times
Default reply

from Cary- just take avent ferry to centennial parkway then left at the farmer's market. Pretty easy way to go.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:40 PM

792 posts, read 4,490,523 times
The Cary farmers market is a joke. Raleigh is where it's at! We are really fortunate to have such an incredible market in our area. I don't know of anywhere else in the state that has anything comparable.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
from Cary- just take avent ferry to centennial parkway then left at the farmer's market. Pretty easy way to go.
I know how to get there, but prefer something really close and without the insane traffic and rude people. The smaller farmer's markets are more laid back and people aren't pushing and shoving their way around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary