Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 04:22 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times

Advertisements

I disagree the salmon is salmon. There are many different ways to prepare it and there are many different types and grades of salmon. True fresh salmon is way better than say fresh frozen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 07:21 PM

81 posts, read 213,913 times
Default Teds

Have been to the one at TTC several times. First time was impressed. But the more I go the consistency varies if you order something more than beef/bison.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:22 PM

360 posts, read 995,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I disagree the salmon is salmon. There are many different ways to prepare it and there are many different types and grades of salmon. True fresh salmon is way better than say fresh frozen.
I agree 100%, in fact I'd say more times than not when I order salmon at a restaurant it is terrible. I wish it was possible to examine fish before it is cooked at a restaurant, I think a lot of times they figure they'll put sauces or seasonings on it that will cover up the fact that the fish is half rotten, but I can tell when fish is less than fresh.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJingle View Post
BUT a restaurant that hangs its hat on a eco-friendly label might be expected to offer one vegetarian dish. Factory farms are a major burden on the environment. Many carnivore greenies have one earth friendly vegetarian meal a week to recognize the impact of factory farms. So, from that standpoint, I don't think it's unreasonable.
I don't think I see the connection here. FWIW, I don't like it when businesses use buzz words like "eco-friendly" or "green" because these words mean different things to different people. In the case of Ted's Montanna Grill it sounds like they are calling themselves eco-friendly becasue their restaurants are 99.9% plastic free. They don't make any statements about how the cattle or veggies they use are raised/farmed.

That being said, I don't really agree that if a place calls itself eco-friendly the should be expected to serve vegetarian dishes. That seems to imply that vegetable farming is somehow good for the environment. It isn't and it does have a negative impact on the environment in many cases (sediment and pesticide / fertilizer runoff). Just like raising cattle, there are certain practices that can be followed that lessen the impact of row crop farms on the environment, but unless a restaurant goes out of its way to purchase its veggies from an organic, pesticide free farm, that uses sustainable farming practices and best mangement practices to reduce sediment and fertilizer runoff, their is nothing inherently "earth friendly" about the vegetarian dishes that are made from their produce.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 05-31-2009 at 05:18 AM..

Old 05-31-2009, 07:56 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't think I see the connection here. FWIW, I don't like it when businesses use buzz words like "eco-friendly" or "green" because these words mean different things to different people. In the case of Ted's Montanna Grill it sounds like they are calling themselves eco-friendly because their restaurants are 99.9% plastic free. They don't make any statements about how the cattle or veggies they use are raised/farmed.

That being said, I don't really agree that if a place calls itself eco-friendly the should be expected to serve vegetarian dishes. That seems to imply that vegetable farming is somehow good for the environment. It isn't and it does have a negative impact on the environment in many cases (sediment and pesticide / fertilizer runoff). Just like raising cattle, there are certain practices that can be followed that lessen the impact of row crop farms on the environment, but unless a restaurant goes out of its way to purchase its veggies from an organic, pesticide free farm, that uses sustainable farming practices and best management practices to reduce sediment and fertilizer runoff, their is nothing inherently "earth friendly" about the vegetarian dishes that are made from their produce.
Pretty good points in here NRG. I am really tired of the whole "green", "save the planet", "eco-friendly" fad. The fact of the matter is that people DON'T really know what they are talking about when they hop on this save the planet band wagon. More times than not, the actions taken in an effort to go "green" end up causing a whole host of other problems. Ethanol comes to mind immediately. If people would use common sense, like I do as a non extremist tree hugger & nature lover, then things would work out much better. We don't need to go to extremes, but rather use common sense in day to day life. I, for one, LOVE eating my meat and always will. I NEVER it a vegetarian only meal, although I do love and eat many veggies. I am growing some right now in my new raised bed garden. Too many companies are hopping on the "green" fad, just as a marketing tool. It has lost its meaning and easy everyday solutions are being forgotten in the great chase to come up with the next miracle cure for a problem that doesn't exist, other than people's ignorance.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:01 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

That being said, I don't really agree that if a place calls itself eco-friendly the should be expected to serve vegetarian dishes. That seems to imply that vegetable farming is somehow good for the environment. It isn't and it does have a negative impact on the environment in many cases (sediment and pesticide / fertilizer runoff). Just like raising cattle, there are certain practices that can be followed that lessen the impact of row crop farms on the environment, but unless a restaurant goes out of its way to purchase its veggies from an organic, pesticide free farm, that uses sustainable farming practices and best mangement practices to reduce sediment and fertilizer runoff, their is nothing inherently "earth friendly" about the vegetarian dishes that are made from their produce.
I don't think vegetarian dishes are some how good for the earth. (Really humans are just parasites on this big blue marble.) But factory farmed beef is really hard on the environment. EarthSave International

NRG, next time you are in Oregon visiting your MIL if you run across any salmon fishermen just ask them about grazing rights & water rights for cattle farmers in Eastern Oregon. Or vice versa. You'll get an ear full. The cows graze on federal land in Eastern Oregon, poop in the rivers, which then is carried down stream and kill the salmon runs. Not to mention water siphoned from the rivers for grass to feed the cows then puts the river water levels especially low, which in turn kills the salmon run. Some years water hasn't been allowed to be siphoned, grass dies, not enough food for cows in winter, cows die. It's a tough balancing act.

BTW, full disclosure, I'm a meat eater. I LOVE beef. I've tried to give it up but I just haven't been successful.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:34 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Let me rephrase my earlier words ("Salmon is salmon") to this:

Good, non-rotten, properly cooked salmon IS good, non-rotten, properly cooked salmon.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

I prefer fresh, well prepared great salmon.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:01 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Okay.

Let me rephrase my earlier phrase. My new phrase:

"Fresh, well-prepared great salmon IS fresh, well-prepared great salmon."

(I just called the restaurant, and their salmon IS fresh. I'm just not one to wax poetic about animal protein.)

And -- their "eco-friendliness" extends to far more than using paper straws. I saw a whole thing on it on PBS. It's all about preserving open space in the west. Very interesting back story. One that I didn't know.

And no, I'm not on their payroll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I prefer fresh, well prepared great salmon.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Okay.

Let me rephrase my earlier phrase. My new phrase:

"Fresh, well-prepared great salmon IS fresh, well-prepared great salmon."

(I just called the restaurant, and their salmon IS fresh. I'm just not one to wax poetic about animal protein.)

And -- their "eco-friendliness" extends to far more than using paper straws. I saw a whole thing on it on PBS. It's all about preserving open space in the west. Very interesting back story. One that I didn't know.

And no, I'm not on their payroll.
Brentwood, if you live somewhere that you can eat fresh salmon often your palet will pick up on distinctions of salmon. There is a huge difference between wild caught and farm salmon in fat content and thus taste. There is also a difference in taste in Atlantic & Pacific Salmon. And there is a difference in wild caught salmon based on the the time of year it is caught and what river or ocean it is caught in. Just like grapes pick up the essences of soil and this has an affect on the end result of a glass of wine, so does whats floating in the river affect the taste of salmon.

So even fresh well prepared salmon isn't just fresh well prepared salmon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary