Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,723 times

Advertisements

I've seen two people in this thread flash their Subaru badge as some sort of status symbol. I'm just a simple Cary resident, unaccustomed to any experience that doesn't relate to strip malls, big box stores or townhouses. Can someone explain this status symbol to me?

I'll be waiting in my all-white homogeneous neighborhood for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 08:28 AM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

I was completly joking. Cary is not for me, but it is a very nice place that has someting for everyone. If I was a transplant, I would certainly consider Cary.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:32 AM

646 posts, read 2,050,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
I would not believe the false statements you will hear from many about Cary. We found Cary to be the single greatest town we ever lived in. There are many great things about the town. We are outdoorsy people and Cary really worked well for us. If we were inside people (bars, clubs and the like) then Cary would not be our first choice. Given what you quoted for price and the limited info you provided, I do question if Cary would be for you. However, the best advice is to spend a LOT of time in each town to decide for yourself. Be warned, there is a BIG TIME bash Cary sentiment on this forum which is completely embraced. It's seems to be some sort of game. But god forbid you say anything less that super positive about one of cities here. In the end though, the truth is that every town/city in the Triangle offers IT'S residents great things and can be a great place to live. It all depends on what YOU like. WE absolutely despise city living for us. We much prefer the country style of living. So it would make sense that neither Raleigh and especially Durham would work for us. That does not mean that Raleigh or Durham would not be the absolute best choice for someone else.

Come on down and kick the tires and see what you think.
The problem has never been with Cary for the most part....only those that think it's the only place to live in the area or that it's some mystical utopia.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I've seen two people in this thread flash their Subaru badge as some sort of status symbol. I'm just a simple Cary resident, unaccustomed to any experience that doesn't relate to strip malls, big box stores or townhouses. Can someone explain this status symbol to me?

I'll be waiting in my all-white homogeneous neighborhood for your response.
It's not a status symbol....that was the point. After all, some think that everyone in Cary drives Mercedes and Lexus. Subaru owners seem to have their own little 'clique' like many VW owners, but it's not a status thing.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:39 AM

93 posts, read 326,589 times
Oh, the Subaru isn't really a status symbol, but from the instant I got behind the wheel I felt the car really defined me, spoke to me, empowered me to be the person I longed to be. We are the perfect couple. I've never had a relationship with a car like that before! And yes, I feel a kinship with other Subaru drivers.

Have you ever listened to Car Talk on NPR? Someone calls in and in 30 seconds of conversation those guys can tell what kind of car that person drives. So I like to think that in the first 30 seconds of meeting me, you could tell I drive a Subaru Forester.

Of course, I would LOVE to join the Prius cult and ascend to a higher level, but the back end of the Prius wouldn't hold all the camping equipment plus the dog, and here in NY I get some use out of the four wheel drive for my snowy commute. Maybe I'll marry a man with a Prius and we'll be the perfect two car family!

Old 05-30-2009, 08:46 AM

2,036 posts, read 4,396,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoya View Post
The problem has never been with Cary for the most part....only those that think it's the only place to live in the area or that it's some mystical utopia.
No one has said it is the only place to live in the area for EVERYONE. What has been said is that it is basically a utopia for the person making the post. That is not even debatable. It is what it is for that person. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with someone finding complete happiness in the town they happened to live in. We no longer live in Cary, but it is still where we go for most everything. We still love Cary and for what our needs and likes are, it is simply the best. We have not seen or been in any town/city that even matches up to our likes, as Cary does. I have no problem with someone else not liking it, as their tastes may be different. That's fine. I have an issue with false statements like Cary is all beige or all cookie cutter, when in fact is has the same blend of homes that Raleigh and Durham have. All 3 places have cookie cutter old and new homes, strip malls and so on. But all 3 places also have nice homes with different architecture and great places to eat and shop. I also think it is so sad when the don't haves start stereotyping the type of people that live in Cary. They don't know the people personally, but their jealousy comes out in their insulting comments about people they don't even know. The funny thing is, it's the same type of people who live in Cary that live in Raleigh, Apex, Holly Springs and so on. For many people the decision is about location to where THEY work, home price, schooling and taxes. The Cary bashing is quite old and to tell you the truth, it makes the poster making the comments look quite silly.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauren4521 View Post
We lived in Cary for a few months while we house hunted (and settled in Clayton). Its a beautiful town. We're trying to move my MIL down here and that is the area that we think she'll take to, as its more built up than the area we moved to (more country).

Its all about what floats your boat. You have to take a trip here and see it all with your own eyes. We had planned to live in Cary but for what we wanted in a house/lot, we decided to move further (to get more bang for our buck).

Good luck! Cary is one of many towns that I'm sure would fit the bill for your wants and needs.

Lauren
A very accurate observation.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
No one has said it is the only place to live in the area for EVERYONE. What has been said is that it is basically a utopia for the person making the post. That is not even debatable. It is what it is for that person. I don't know why anyone would have a problem with someone finding complete happiness in the town they happened to live in. We no longer live in Cary, but it is still where we go for most everything. We still love Cary and for what our needs and likes are, it is simply the best. We have not seen or been in any town/city that even matches up to our likes, as Cary does. I have no problem with someone else not liking it, as their tastes may be different. That's fine. I have an issue with false statements like Cary is all beige or all cookie cutter, when in fact is has the same blend of homes that Raleigh and Durham have. All 3 places have cookie cutter old and new homes, strip malls and so on. But all 3 places also have nice homes with different architecture and great places to eat and shop. I also think it is so sad when the don't haves start stereotyping the type of people that live in Cary. They don't know the people personally, but their jealousy comes out in their insulting comments about people they don't even know. The funny thing is, it's the same type of people who live in Cary that live in Raleigh, Apex, Holly Springs and so on. For many people the decision is about location to where THEY work, home price, schooling and taxes. The Cary bashing is quite old and to tell you the truth, it makes the poster making the comments look quite silly.
Sell it to someone else CD....you are the main reason why Cary is such a debatable topic here and you know it.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:58 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Many people elsewhere don't know or understand North Carolina as a state or the variety of people who live here. Many up north have a negative stereotype of North Carolina and other areas of the South. When a prospective transplant begins their housing hunt and begins to share it with others they can (not always) get a negative reaction from their friends and neighbors. Because of the publicity Cary gets it can be used as a reference point to let people know you are not leaving civilization and venturing into the hinterlands. As people begin to explore North Carolina personally they learn the truth but that truth is not always easy to convey to others. However once you relocate to really most of the Triangle and other areas of the state your friends when they visit become not only believers but also utter WOW. Cary is a great place to showcase and give people a glimpse of one aspect of life here. It is not the definitive aspect but it is easy to showcase. Who doesn't love Biaggi's if they love Italian?

Remember the shock elsewhere about the primary results here. After it became but never a general election and after that?

Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM

93 posts, read 326,589 times
Oh, I am finding this funny that there isn't really any Cary-bashing going on, just discussion ABOUT Cary-Bashing. Please, this isn't about Cary, it is all about me! ;-)

I said I need to be near my Ex husband for convenience, but I need to build my own life. I don't want to constantly run into him and his new girlfriend if I don't have to, do I?

My ex has always been attracted to generic environments. He LOVES his townhouse community with fitness center. He likes to fit in, I like to feel unique. He knows I wouldn't love it, because he knows me. It isn't an anti-Cary thing...I just want to make sure that I find the right neighborhood for me. He lives near the airport for convenience of travel...I'm sure he could have found something similar anywhere in the county. My experience is that when people live near the airport so they can travel on business, they spend more time traveling than at home with family and being part of a community. That isn't a need I have nor is it my style.

We have lived in the same neighborhood for 7 years. I know my neighbors, we keep an eye out for each other, we walk to school when there's an Ice Cream Social. I can chat with the President of the School Board on the soccer field. When we go to a store or restaurant we run into people we know. I'm not whining about leaving all that because I know my kids will age out of it anyway, and there isn't a lot of room here for single moms---but there are plenty of neighborhood on the eastern seaboard where you won't find that. My parents have lived in the same neighborhood for 23 years now and most of the folks work and/or move every two years.

I COULD do the generic/temporary/condo thing for a while before I find my niche. I will only need to consider the convenience of my children for 10 more years...then I will have more choices once they are safely enrolled in fine NC colleges.

A move like this is a chicken/egg sort of thing. Find a house, then a job? Find a job, then a house?

We are planning a trip down in late August...the girls can go to the beach with dad while I look around. We don't start school here in NY until September 9 and I don't have a job anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary