Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 02:35 PM

40 posts, read 380,979 times

Advertisements

Tie a deer up and release it across the yard when they drive up. If that doesn't ring a bell, then you must go rent the movie "Funny Farm" with Chevy Chase. You'll get a kick out of it....if you like ChevyChase movies.

PS...Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM

133 posts, read 710,816 times
A lot of really good suggestions so far. Clean, no clutter, good lighting. Fresh subtle scent from the citrus, cookies, flowers or candles would probably be better than the strong smell of cleaners. I like that tip about the disposal. Oh yeah...be sure that the house is clean!!! They'll likely see a lot more details since they're visiting in the morning.

And don't forget to step back and look at the big picture. Look at your house from outside/the driveway/across the street, because that really is the first impression. There may be some things you've overlooked by focusing on the neatness and cleanliness inside your home. Toys, bikes, tools, leaves, animal ****.

Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:05 PM

156 posts, read 920,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
We just got a call, the wife's plane is delayed so they are coming in the morning. Guess that gives me more time to put these tips to work
I agree with alot of what's been said here.. The tray on the bed, might be over kill.. But it's ok.. What makes a difference to me is how the house smells.. It has to smell Clean...I am sure you can find many product's on the market that smell like the ocean or similar.. I spray diluted fab softner on my rugs, just because I like the smell of fresh laundry.. lol.. Good Luck!!!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
I agree with alot of what's been said here.. The tray on the bed, might be over kill.. But it's ok.. What makes a difference to me is how the house smells.. It has to smell Clean...I am sure you can find many product's on the market that smell like the ocean or similar.. I spray diluted fab softner on my rugs, just because I like the smell of fresh laundry.. lol.. Good Luck!!!
Soooo funny! And my husband thinks I'm the only one that enjoys the laundry detergent aisle at the grocery store!!!

Vicki

Old 04-10-2007, 03:22 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
I would hire a pianist, serve a great wine, just joking...

a turn-off for me when house-hunting was overpowering scents, such as candles, cleaning products, I like clean smelling things, ex. Clean Cotton from Yankee Candle, clean crisp scent, don't overwhelm potential buyers with heavy floral scented candles, sprays, etc...as most said here, make sure the house is clean, kitchen counters have no clutter, closets are neat, baking some cookies to make it feel like home is a great idea...love walking into a house and smelling cookies or a pie in the oven...it's a suttle touch that would put anyone in a good mood...Wish you the best!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:48 PM

217 posts, read 799,941 times
Yes, be careful with scents. Stick with simmering a little vanilla and cinnamon and natural scents...not bottled. Alot of people have migraines and for me heavy scents and such will alway trigger a migraine. Fastest way to get someone out of your house is a migraine...lol

I cannot even go into Bed, bath and beyond because they hang those vacuum scent packets all over.

Old 04-10-2007, 04:27 PM

965 posts, read 4,498,840 times
All of the previous suggestions are really good, and I hope all goes well for you.

But for what it's worth, there are folks out there, like me, who are purely concerned with the amount of sq. footage in a house, storage, floor plan, flow between rooms, driveway incline, structural integrity, blah, blah, who will look right past the personal contents of the homeowners. I'm tellin' ya, with me, you could have a dead gorilla in the living room, and it wouldn't deter me from making an offer because I'm looking for a particular floor plan, and if I find it, it is Ding Ding, write the check!

Good luck, good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 05:24 PM

43 posts, read 320,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
We have a second showing tonight . The husband has already seen the house and likes it so now the wife is coming back tonight to take a look. Would it be corny to play some soft music and/or maybe set out a tray on the bed with magazine, flowers, etc?

Don't forget a Milwaukee Sawzall for the husband

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM

26 posts, read 53,412 times
When I was househunting, I encountered one house with what the owner probably thought was soft music and a delicate scent, but I still remember it as the annoying, perfume-stinky house. Clean and declutter. Less is more. Good luck!

Old 04-10-2007, 08:54 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Sometimes I think if its the "right" house, the buyers will know it regardless of what clutter they see and what they smell.

I had a young couple as sellers. They had just gotten married and moved in together. In a very small townhouse family room, they had 2 sofas and 4 overstuffed chairs. You could hardly walk! I asked them to rent storage space and get rid of the clutter.

Before they had time to do any decluttering or moving the furniture, we had our first showing. Yep, you guessed it. Sold for full price!

Go figure!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary