Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 41,339 times

Advertisements

I'm in my early 20's and have been seriously considering moving to Raleigh. Everything in this forum sounds like it would fit me great. From what I gather, it offers many of the things a big city can offer, while still having a neighborhood vibe. That close?

I'd like to live somewhere thats safe, but NOT in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere semi-downtown or somewhere thats 5 minutes away. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

It seems like after everything I've read, I gues my biggest concern is it might be primarily a family town with not many people my age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 06:10 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
Look at the Crabtree Valley area. It's relatively close to DT and nightlife, not in the middle of nowhere and there are tons of apartments from which to choose to live.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:28 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,868,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John4142 View Post
I'm in my early 20's and have been seriously considering moving to Raleigh. Everything in this forum sounds like it would fit me great. From what I gather, it offers many of the things a big city can offer, while still having a neighborhood vibe. That close?

I'd like to live somewhere thats safe, but NOT in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere semi-downtown or somewhere thats 5 minutes away. Any suggestions or advice would be great.

It seems like after everything I've read, I gues my biggest concern is it might be primarily a family town with not many people my age?

That's exactly how I always describe it to people, substituting community w/ neighborhood. It's where I've always wanted to retire to when i get out.

Old 05-31-2009, 08:11 PM

1,040 posts, read 3,594,687 times
Quote:

Try Glenwood South -> Glenwood South Raleigh - Overview of Glenwood South Raleigh

Glenwood South : Raleigh's Official Tourism Site

There are plenty of 20 somethings around... If you don't want a family neighborhood, I would advise to stay away from Cary.

Downtown Raleigh will do you right

Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 PM

28 posts, read 68,326 times
The surrounding areas of downtown, especially West toward and near NCSU and Meredith College would serve you well. Cary is definitely more family friendly.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:23 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,028,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Try Glenwood South -> Glenwood South Raleigh - Overview of Glenwood South Raleigh

Glenwood South : Raleigh's Official Tourism Site

There are plenty of 20 somethings around... If you don't want a family neighborhood, I would advise to stay away from Cary.

Downtown Raleigh will do you right
Agreed. Glenwood South/Cameron Village is easily the best part of the city for what the OP wants. My only concern would be cost of living. However, there are budget options in the area in the post war apartments nearby on either Hillsborough Street or Peace Street. I guess it all depends on what is most important to the OP for the intended budget.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,734,057 times
Quote:

First of all--just to clarify, "Raleigh/Durham" is not a town; Raleigh and Durham are two distinct cities. It's hard to know if you realized that, since you mention "Raleigh/Durham" in one place and then talk about "the town" elsewhere.

The area as a whole is pretty "family friendly" (in the good way, meaning safe), but the urban areas as well as Chapel Hill/Carrboro have plenty for young unmarried folks as well. It's like any other city; the central core is generally more "edgy", and the suburbs have more families. With the explosive growth here in the past couple of decades, "suburban" lifestyle has spread to many small towns surrounding Raleigh and Durham, but those two cities have also renovated a lot of their downtowns and so there is a lot more "city stuff" to do as well, in both.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:26 AM

23 posts, read 41,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Agreed. Glenwood South/Cameron Village is easily the best part of the city for what the OP wants. My only concern would be cost of living. However, there are budget options in the area in the post war apartments nearby on either Hillsborough Street or Peace Street. I guess it all depends on what is most important to the OP for the intended budget.

Yeah my budget isn't huge... I'd be moving here with no job, no friends, contacts... etc... But it just seems like such a great place and I'm looking for a fresh start... Thanks for the feedback though I've been researching all these places.

I'm also going to plan a weekend trip to scope everything out... 9 hour drive here i come

Old 06-01-2009, 08:53 AM

744 posts, read 1,258,296 times
There are three major univsities, UNC-Chapel Hill, Duke, and NC State, and another half dozen or so smaller colleges in the area. All together, there's prbably a 100K students in the area. So the social scene should be quite good for someone in your age group.

I'd look in the Southwest Durham area. Reasonable housing prices and easy access to Chapel Hill and Durham.

Old 06-01-2009, 11:47 AM

1,999 posts, read 3,566,249 times
Yeah I moved into a development where I am the only person that doesn't have 2.3 kids, it's kinda hilarious.

Neighbors come up say hi, wanna know if I have kids, I don't , never see em again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary