Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 12:06 PM

36 posts, read 170,092 times

Advertisements

If my opinion counts for anything!

We recently spent a few days in NC. We have heard mixed things about NC, (and the forums here are very helpful)- but I think experiencing it is the only way to get the real feel of an area. There were a few things I noticed.
First, it is CLEAN. Wow!- it's like driving through a national park. We are from CA, but stayed in MD and drove down to Charlotte and Raleigh. The drive once in the NC line was gorgeous. I was actually taking pics of the road itself. Wild poppies?! And what are those purple ones? They look like some sort of lilac.
Next, I have to say, I have never ever ever in my entire life experienced such friendly people. Really. It was so refreshing and wonderful. I really got into the feeling. Yes, there were a few interesting drivers-like anywhere- but for the most part the people were so very pleasant. To go into a fast food place and have someone actually greet and then say "whenever you are ready let me know and I'll be happy to help you".. I think my jaw actually dropped. We even asked the lady who checked us in at the hotel if the friendliness was "for real" and she said she is still not used to it, but that it is indeed real and she is very happy with her move (from PA).

Also, from our drives around Wake Forest, Cary, Holly Springs, and some parts of Raleigh, I think that you have the prettiest little subdivisions! Each one has something unique about it. They feel homey! All in all I think I liked the Wake Forest area the best even though it's a bit further out, but I really enjoyed the greenway and paved walking trails, the abundance of shopping everywhere and again, how clean everything was. Explaining it to my family I said it was like being at summer camp, only you get to stay and live there. The older section of Wake Forest by the old college was probably one of the most beautiful streets I have ever seen.

Anyway, I can see why people relocate, honestly. The quality of life is leaps and bounds where we are now and I am looking forward to hopefully calling it home. (yes, I will get a job first!) I would be willing to wait for it, that's for sure.

All in all the only negative was being in the car for hours with 2 young children. Yikes!

I want to post some pics (all from the car since when I was out I was too into experiencing it to remember to take pics) but I don't know how. If someone could maybe link me a thread that explains it, I would be grateful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 12:23 PM

460 posts, read 1,270,900 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit.
Its been awhile since I shared pics here...but I usually use Flickr which offers a free account.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:29 PM

792 posts, read 4,473,844 times
Thanks for sharing your perspectives. One thing I appreciate about living here is the lack of billboards along the highways. You see them in Greensboro and Charlotte but not here. I think that is part of the "clean" look you were talking about. As you saw, NC DOT has a fantastic wildflower and highway landscaping program. On the negative side, maybe you didn't notice it but the road quality decreased significantly as you crossed the state line into NC. NC roads have become a joke compared to neighboring states, and we pay some of the highest gas taxes in the southeast. Best of luck with your relocation!

Old 06-01-2009, 01:26 PM

286 posts, read 685,831 times
That just a nice overview of your experience. Very helpful.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:46 PM

12,626 posts, read 31,909,908 times
Wake Forest is my top pick too. Thanks for sharing and I hope you can get the pics up. I hope the best for you!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 PM

96 posts, read 171,984 times
looking at wake forest here too, any pics yet?

Old 10-31-2010, 07:17 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,786,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerkick79 View Post
looking at wake forest here too, any pics yet?
Given that the OP started this thread a year and a half ago, if she hasn't posted pictures by now -- I wouldn't hold your breath that they'll show up anytime soon .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary