Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times

Advertisements

On the City of Durham website I see that you must recycle
Aluminum Cans, Steel Cans, Glass Bottles and Jars, Newspaper, and Corrugated Cardboard. I'm very excited to see it's a law. I also see they accept some plastics.

But I'm wondering are soda cans considered "steel cans" that can be recycled curbside? They have a .05 bottle return here so I'm not familar w/ recycling these curbside.

Also, can you recycle yard debris curbside?

Lastly, is recycling is available outside the city limits of Durham... specifically that small section of SW Durham or that section of SE Chapel Hill that is Durham Co.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 04:50 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,912,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
On the City of Durham website I see that you must recycle
Aluminum Cans, Steel Cans, Glass Bottles and Jars, Newspaper, and Corrugated Cardboard. I'm very excited to see it's a law. I also see they accept some plastics.

But I'm wondering are soda cans considered "steel cans" that can be recycled curbside? They have a .05 bottle return here so I'm not familar w/ recycling these curbside.

Also, can you recycle yard debris curbside?

Lastly, is recycling is available outside the city limits of Durham... specifically that small section of SW Durham or that section of SE Chapel Hill that is Durham Co.
Soda cans can be recycled at curbside. There's no deposit charge here. There also is a yard waste pickup, though you have to pay an annual fee for it.

I don't know the answer to the county/city question. I'd suggest calling Durham One Call, the city answer line, at 919-560-1200.

Old 04-11-2007, 11:21 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Soda cans can be recycled at curbside. There's no deposit charge here. There also is a yard waste pickup, though you have to pay an annual fee for it.

I don't know the answer to the county/city question. I'd suggest calling Durham One Call, the city answer line, at 919-560-1200.
Thanks for the phone number & info! BCR, you are the best! I really am voting for you for Mayor.

Old 04-11-2007, 04:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,962,065 times
Me too! Gotta register first.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:13 AM

473 posts, read 1,517,286 times
Or call TFC Recycling at 957-8803. They can tell you about the convenience centers located throughout Durham County where you can take your recyclables.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:38 AM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
Like BCR said, soda cans are a yes for recycling. The one call people are very very nice and will answer all your questions patiently, though I had issues getting my yard waste container ordered (it finally arrived though). So the way the yard waste thing works is you have to buy a special trashcan that says "yard waste" on it. Then you pay an annual fee ($70 maybe??) so they will pick up your yard waste. Yard waste collection, trash collection, and recycling collection all happen on the same day of the week, once a week. You can always put extra yard waste in biodegradable bags (there's a limit to the # of extra bags depending on time of the year - in the spring it's 25 for example) or you can do small bundles of sticks. Twice a year they will do a free pickup of large debris (assuming you are current on your yard waste fee). After that there's a charge. A separate division handles picking up and recycling boxes, though there are better things to do with boxes imo with all the moving that goes on

Old 06-22-2007, 10:10 AM

120 posts, read 758,363 times
Default Do you need special recycling containers?

I'm wondering how the curbside pickup works. Do I have to get special containers for my paper, cans and glass? Do you have to tie newspapers in bundles? Keep them dry? Anyone out there figured out a great recycling system? And what about plastics? Yogurt or sour cream containers for example. Are those recycled too?

I like the idea of recycling, but am worried about trying to keep all my trash sorted and not have my utility room smell like a transfer station.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathercp View Post
I'm wondering how the curbside pickup works. Do I have to get special containers for my paper, cans and glass? Do you have to tie newspapers in bundles? Keep them dry? Anyone out there figured out a great recycling system? And what about plastics? Yogurt or sour cream containers for example. Are those recycled too?

I like the idea of recycling, but am worried about trying to keep all my trash sorted and not have my utility room smell like a transfer station.
Not sure how they do it in Durham....we get a slightly smaller covered and wheeled can to place ours in. You do not have to seperate and they take many plastic, papers, cans, glass etc.

Old 06-23-2007, 02:32 PM

959 posts, read 4,492,274 times
I haven't been doing yogurt or anything else that has food really stuck to the plastic/glass. I've just been recycling things I can easily rinse, or that don't need rinsing. They give you a recycling container (I think it's free), and everything goes in that one container.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:23 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,960,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathercp View Post

Orange county only allows recycling of plastic containers where the neck is skinnier than the rest of the container, so no go on the yogurt and butter containers. Anybody know if Durham county is the same?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary