Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:04 PM

69 posts, read 156,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
This from a person that whines about 'staying on topic'
And your post is off topic. I notice you do a lot of attacking and don't provide very much quality input. The OP already lives here, so there was no need to continue with pointless line that people like to repeat. There are jobs in Raleigh and he is looking for advice on how to get one. My advice is to get a certification in some field he may like or have skills in. I know there are accelerated training options with the slow economy.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:56 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.7mOTB View Post
And your post is off topic. I notice you do a lot of attacking and don't provide very much quality input. The OP already lives here, so there was no need to continue with pointless line that people like to repeat. There are jobs in Raleigh and he is looking for advice on how to get one. My advice is to get a certification in some field he may like or have skills in. I know there are accelerated training options with the slow economy.
I notice you do a lot of whining about staying on topic but never do.
I notice you whine about people give their "pointless" opinions on having a job lined up and start threads to mock them.
I let Francois know that the OP already lived here and wished him luck. Then you jumped in to play moderator to berate Francois for giving his opinion.
wonder how many miles CD lives OTB...hmmmmm

My apologies to the OP and others unemployed for letting the troll get to me. Good luck to you in your job hunt.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM

69 posts, read 156,682 times
You are destroying the spirit of this forum. You should be ashamed of how you speak to people. I have seen you attack multiple people and I am shocked that you are allowed to continue. I am very embarassed that it is known you live in the same place as me.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:01 PM

88 posts, read 287,449 times
Can't we all just get along lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:18 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,385 times
sorry 'bout all that Gorlesky. I should ignore and usually do but lately its been getting ridiculous. It builds up and then *boom*.
Again....good luck in your search. I seriously may be joining you in a search soon if things/profits don't start to pick up soon with my employer. We already had one round of layoffs in Jan and the rumor mill has been churning strong the last few days. *gulp*

When you get laid off...do they usually/always offer severance? If so...is it correct that you can't go on unemployment if you accept?

Here is where I would have gone off on 10.7...but I shall refrain.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:47 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
When you get laid off...do they usually/always offer severance? If so...is it correct that you can't go on unemployment if you accept?
You cannot go on unemployment until you exhaust your severance. . . . . . .unless. . . . . .you take a class somewhere. This is discussed on the ESC web page, although not very well, and the ESC people that you call will undoubtedly make it more confusing rather than clear.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:02 PM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
Default Thread similar to this

I started a thread similar to this months ago. It's unfortunate that this topic seems to be even more relevant now than it was then. I empathise with the OP, I was laid off last week from a job that I beleive I was overqualified for (it is very humbling to go from underemployment to unemployment)

I admit it... I drank the Kool-aid, my fiance and I started our plans to move to the area over two years ago after doing extensive research of the area. I am amazed about how much of it was hype. High cost of living (or would it be more accurate to say high cost of living to prevailant wages). Some people may have an agenda but I do agree this Place is not the employment Utopia that it has been made out to be. My prayers go out to people in similar circumstances...it stinks.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:25 PM

473 posts, read 1,517,880 times
No unemployment till after severance, and after vacation pay. I started unemployment, then got unexpected vacation pay. They withheld unemployment. Not sure if it's just for the week, or longer...

Old 06-04-2009, 04:54 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorleskyInnovations View Post
I hate to even post a topic like this but I am desperate.

After getting laid off I put together a Business that was a hobby of mine that I am very good at.

Well My detailing business is not doing anything . I have been searching all over for a decent job with no luck... Anyone of you guys/gals have any leads?
I'm on the road to losing the house.. I have to do something.

I'm 28 married
I have
Built custom cabinets
Sales plumbing / technology
Worked in a warehouse order picker\receiving manager
Provided thermal coatings for boiler systems throughout the world
I can drive a cherry picker, forklift pallet jack
Good with computers and any electronics
I have a 10 hour OSHA safety card.

I'd love to see you get enough cash ahead that you could do a mobile detailing service. While we lived in Mass., every few months or so my wife would call this guy up and he would stop at reception, get the keys, take the car to a remote corner of the lot and detail the heck out of it, at the time for about $100. Many people at her company used this guy. You need some mobile water/electrical supply but the rest is easy. I think it would fly around here with all the high end cars and particular owners. Just a thought. If you are really good at it, and also LIKE to do it, maybe it's a bridge to somewhere. Good luck!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:11 PM

88 posts, read 287,449 times
I think I will stay since I have been here for 28 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary