Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,067,343 times

Advertisements

Here's what I don't get about this whole thing. If nobody gave them money then they would not do it anymore. Who are the idiots who think it's legitimate need? THESE are the people who are the problem, not the beggars, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM

121 posts, read 380,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
OK, that explains it! I saw it in Durham on 55 and the exit for UNC off of 40.
There used to be one guy at 55 and 54 in a wheelchair that would get in to a new conversion van with a chairlift every day at 6pm (after rush hour was over). I realize that a lot of these people are mentally ill, addicted to drugs, or have a physical disability that might prevent them from holding down a regular job. And I also realize that in order to get steady work you need an address and a phone number. I'm not going to put down the actual hard luck cases (even though they should probably get help elsewhere). But getting in to a $20k van every evening and driving off...

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
Here's what I don't get about this whole thing. If nobody gave them money then they would not do it anymore. Who are the idiots who think it's legitimate need? THESE are the people who are the problem, not the beggars, IMO.
You answered your own question: it's the idiots. And the sad part is they mean well. They're just naive enought to believe whatever gets thrown their way.....eg "Hi, I'm homeless and starving, hi, I'm collecting for abused children/abused dogs/cancer society/AIDS shelter/battered women/people abducted by aliens/etc blah etc." And people buy into it w/o having any clue if it's legit or not. Reminds me of the "fool and his money are soon parted" saying. These are or were also the types who got taken in by the "Nigerian scam" and similar things and gave out their credit card #s or bank account #s.

This begging should be plain flat-out illegal everywhere and that law actually enforced. Not only are nearly all of them scammers but if any aren't, they are going about getting "help" in about the least logical and effective way possible.

I'd love to see a known scammer busted so we could say "hey have fun w/the heavy fine and a little time in jail, GOD BLESS...."

Old 06-04-2009, 09:36 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,488,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
You answered your own question: it's the idiots. And the sad part is they mean well. They're just naive enought to believe whatever gets thrown their way.....eg "Hi, I'm homeless and starving, hi, I'm collecting for abused children/abused dogs/cancer society/AIDS shelter/battered women/people abducted by aliens/etc blah etc." And people buy into it w/o having any clue if it's legit or not. Reminds me of the "fool and his money are soon parted" saying. These are or were also the types who got taken in by the "Nigerian scam" and similar things and gave out their credit card #s or bank account #s.

This begging should be plain flat-out illegal everywhere and that law actually enforced. Not only are nearly all of them scammers but if any aren't, they are going about getting "help" in about the least logical and effective way possible.

I'd love to see a known scammer busted so we could say "hey have fun w/the heavy fine and a little time in jail, GOD BLESS...."
No, you're casting them in far too negative a light. It's true that those who need help should seek it somewhere other than the side of the road, but there has been enough corruption, enough wasted resources that people are legitimately concerned whether their money will end up helping those they want to help or whether it will go to an administrator's salary, or whether it will go to mass mailings to try to collect more money, etc. It's a legitimate concern.

The process needs to be made more personal imo. You can sponsor a specific child in Chad, you can even go and visit that child. He has a name, he sends a letter once a year, you know you are making a difference. Yet here, money goes into a black hole. We need a similar system here. Let someone support a specific person, a specific family, so they know their money is going where it should. So they can feel good about parting with their money.

I don't think handing money over at the side of the road is the best answer, and I don't do it, but I understand it. I support a number of charities but homelessness support in the U.S. is not one of them. But what if I have a$1 in my pocket one day and I think hey, I'd like to help that guy. I'm not going to go home, research all the agencies out there, figure out which ones do the best job of utilizing resources, and send them my $1. These are mostly the people who are giving the money at the side of the road, probably figuring why not, no matter what he does with it (food, alcohol, cigarettes), it will brighten his day and I don't really care about my $1.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,751,555 times
I used to work for the County here in my City and if a homless person..
Needs food items/Toothpaste,Shampoo,etc they can get it.
We had a food pantry and it was always stocked.
Im not sure if other cities are the same.
Many homeless are probably begging to get money for alcohol/smokes.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:57 AM

240 posts, read 1,287,391 times
I saw a story about panhandling on the news one time. They actually interviewed several people who were on the street begging for money(of course they blurred out their faces). Anyway,some of them had big wads of money in their pocket all from a days work.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:02 AM

55 posts, read 88,044 times
I would report the dog so that it doesn't have to suffer and offer her/him something to drink and maybe a burger or chicken. Never give a homeless person money. I've done that one time and then seen the man walk into a liqour store while I was pumping gas. There are also plenty of homeless shelters and I wouldn't suggest letting the person ride in your car but if there's one nearby then maybe you could write down simple directions so they could walk. Walking 6 or 7 miles would be better than sleeping in a ditch with no food/warmth/drink.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM

1,094 posts, read 2,459,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The City of Durham requires these solicitors to register (and pay a $20 fee) and to obtain and wear the orange safety vests.
I've seen quite a few with the vests on, so they can register and have money to pay a $20 fee? I think that money could be better spent.

On a different note: What is up with the people selling newspapers on the street? Are they legitimate? I only buy the Sunday paper for coupons, but I see these guys around town (Durham) and was wondering if it was legit.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:33 AM

292 posts, read 817,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Would it be against the law for these people to go door to door and ask for odd jobs? Somebody might need their windows washed. I think that would be my way of dealing with no income. Unless the person cannot work, sitting beside the road accomplishes nothing.
Why would someone want to hire a potentially mentally ill person for odd jobs around their house?

Isn't this house Elizabeth Smart disappeared?

Old 06-04-2009, 12:12 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,847,241 times
Wow, I can't believe how harsh some of you people are around here. If you don't want to give them money, then don't. But to scream at them, throw things at them, etc.... that's just cruel. With budgets being slashed all the time, many mental health services are gone. I used to frequently talk to a panhandler in a wheelchair with no legs. I'm not sure what happened to him, but he was an Iraqi war vet who basically said the government left him high and dry. That is happening all the time. Some of you people need to have a little more compassion. I wonder and worry about our society when people laugh about panhandlers, whether or not they are "pulling a scam".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary