Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 03:33 PM

2,058 posts, read 5,859,618 times

Advertisements

So someone tell me please what we should do with all the mentally ill that are on the streets? They have no advocates, and honestly, a lot of them are ill. The guy who "lives in the woods", mentally ill. It doesn't take a psychiatrist to see that most of these people are seriously impaired. Surely someone has some ideas on how to "rid the streets" of these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 03:59 PM

19 posts, read 29,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
Have you seen them wearing orange safety vests? I saw that twice! How does a homeless person get those?
They have to get a permit from the city to do their begging. If they can do that why not get a J-O-B?

My mother took in a homeless person. He is a very nice guy with a huge alchohol problem. But smart as a whip. He has no intention of getting a J-O-B because he doesn't want to live that lifestyle. But even he said the street beggars are the lowest of the low in the homeless community. This guy goes and gets recyclables or does odd jobs from time to time and lives in a tent in the woods most of the time.

It's not always a lifestyle choice but I assure you those with permits to beg and the time to stand on the street corner have no intention of getting a job.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceSadowski View Post
They have to get a permit from the city to do their begging. If they can do that why not get a J-O-B?

My mother took in a homeless person. He is a very nice guy with a huge alchohol problem. But smart as a whip. He has no intention of getting a J-O-B because he doesn't want to live that lifestyle. But even he said the street beggars are the lowest of the low in the homeless community. This guy goes and gets recyclables or does odd jobs from time to time and lives in a tent in the woods most of the time.

It's not always a lifestyle choice but I assure you those with permits to beg and the time to stand on the street corner have no intention of getting a job.
Right, because you've interviewed every beggar

Old 06-04-2009, 04:30 PM

365 posts, read 1,208,068 times
If I were homeless, possibly mentally ill, and needed to beg for $$, I'd probably drink myself into oblivion. It's not easy to pull yourself up and feel enough self-worth to go out and get a job.

Veterans make up 1 in 4 homeless.

Old 06-04-2009, 05:37 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,456 times
I think I have seen more homeless people in the Raleigh area this week than I have in my entire life. I've seen 6 different people asking for money in the past 2 days.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:15 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,674 times
A very difficult topic. Anyone interested in facts about homelessness in our area could start here: City of Raleigh | Planning Department | Ending Homelessness (http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_200_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/project/public/homeless/ending_homelessness_home.htm - broken link), or here: Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (http://www.wihn.org/Adv_Homeless.htm - broken link)

I am often approached for money, but I never give cash. I try to keep cereal bars or power bars of some sort in my car or in my purse and gladly give that to someone in case they are truly hungry. I also like the idea of giving them list of services. It is accurate that some truly do not want to be helped, but some do. Most of all, I try to treat them with respect because they ARE human and, in my opinion based on what I believe, one of God's children, just like me.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:13 PM

28 posts, read 94,357 times
I don't like mentioning this, but I'm a police officer that deals with the homeless on a daily basis. 100% of panhandlers use whatever money they get for drugs or alcohol. The people who are homeless and are actually trying to make it, you will never see. They are too busy working at temp labor jobs or in programs trying to better themselves. If you give money to panhandlers, you are an enabler and also are helping to fund more addicts into the begging scene. I can't tell you how many times I see a panhandler take money from a 'concerned citizen' and walk straight to the gas station/convenience store to buy a 40 ounce and then walk right back out after finishing to get $2 more for another one. Don't dismiss what I say because it's not what you want to hear. I've been doing this work for 15 years and I deal with more homeless people than anybody else on this planet. If you choose not to give money, it doesn't matter, the next person behind you will and the cycle will continue forever. One thing I must mention: There is an old wives tale about homeless people being actually well-to-do and just do it to make extra bucks during the day. That's not real. And homeless panhandlers do not have wads of money in their pocket. They have just enough to buy their fix and then they're off to buy it.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:36 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,152,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1199 View Post
I don't like mentioning this, but I'm a police officer that deals with the homeless on a daily basis. 100% of panhandlers use whatever money they get for drugs or alcohol. The people who are homeless and are actually trying to make it, you will never see. They are too busy working at temp labor jobs or in programs trying to better themselves. If you give money to panhandlers, you are an enabler and also are helping to fund more addicts into the begging scene. I can't tell you how many times I see a panhandler take money from a 'concerned citizen' and walk straight to the gas station/convenience store to buy a 40 ounce and then walk right back out after finishing to get $2 more for another one. Don't dismiss what I say because it's not what you want to hear. I've been doing this work for 15 years and I deal with more homeless people than anybody else on this planet. If you choose not to give money, it doesn't matter, the next person behind you will and the cycle will continue forever. One thing I must mention: There is an old wives tale about homeless people being actually well-to-do and just do it to make extra bucks during the day. That's not real. And homeless panhandlers do not have wads of money in their pocket. They have just enough to buy their fix and then they're off to buy it.
You are on target.

The majority of these beggars are mentally ill or addicts.

If we cared, the state would involuntarily commit them. Instead, they are left to die on the street.

Perhaps euthanizing these poor souls would be more merciful since there is presently no real help for them if they don't want to accept it.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:44 AM

158 posts, read 472,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Perhaps euthanizing these poor souls would be more merciful since there is presently no real help for them if they don't want to accept it.
Hah, wow! That's a bit extreme. I think an easier and probably less gruesome answer is to simply not give them money. If everyone did this, they would be forced to seek the correct resources that are set up for homeless people.

Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
You are on target.

The majority of these beggars are mentally ill or addicts.

If we cared, the state would involuntarily commit them. Instead, they are left to die on the street.

Wow... that's a bold statement. Yes, that's the answer, let's euthanize them so I don't have to feel guilty every time I pass these poor pathetic people as we drive by in our air conditioned SUVs. I think the problem is way more complicated than a blanket statement like "these people are addicts and use the money they hustle to buy booze". Come on now, we're all a little smarter than that, dontcha think??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary