Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:19 AM

112 posts, read 477,049 times

Advertisements

Is anyone around the Apex/Holly Springs/Cary area experiencing slow/off and on road runner connection speeds? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 AM

169 posts, read 419,200 times
Ours has been slow for over a week in Clayton. TWC is the worst with their network status pages everywhere in the US. I don't even know if they have one here, because in Austin I gave up checking because it was always wrong. The throughput seems OK when it works, but sometimes it just never wants to get started, keeps stalling.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:59 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,937,411 times
We just moved to HSP and I think TWC runs as few cables as possible limiting the overall bandwidth to it's customers making the service run very slow at peak times. They could rectify this by expanding the network with cabling and enhancing bandwidth to it's customers. Just a case of a company cutting costs that effect it's customers.....but it is still faster than the competition. I would have purchased the upgraded (8mps) BUT it would be a waste until they expand.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:22 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,266,467 times
Very slow (or rather lots of choppiness) in Carrboro for about a week or so. I thought it was the wireless router acting up at first, but I think it's really TWC.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:41 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,358 times
im in fuquay and I haven't noticed a difference and am not having problems (as far as I know). unless they popped up just yesterday? I didn't use the PC at home yesterday at all,

Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the replies. This all started yesterday. I called tech people but they told me to call my computer manufacturer, even though none of the computers on my network from different manufacturers are having problems. I have even bypassed the router and rebooted the cable modem several times. Some pages take a full minute to load.

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:46 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,354,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollyspringsgirl View Post
Thanks for the replies. This all started yesterday. I called tech people but they told me to call my computer manufacturer, even though none of the computers on my network from different manufacturers are having problems. I have even bypassed the router and rebooted the cable modem several times. Some pages take a full minute to load.
Well, that was useless advice from their tech support. Be persistent, and insist on them sending out a technician. If the problem is actually in the network then it will probably be corrected by the time someone shows up and you won't need them anymore. But I suggest having them come out, anyway - and not just to be punitive to TWC (although that is a bonus) . The technician can check the signal at the street heading into your house to tell if it is weak and, if it is, TWC can boost the signal. They can also check to see if you have an older cable modem and replace it if it is.

FYI, an old cable modem turned out to be causing slowdowns at my house. I was one of the original "beta" testers for RoadRunner when they were rolling it out in Raleigh and had an original modem. The technician looked and immediately replaced it, saying that is the first thing he looks for. All has been well since that visit.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:07 PM

578 posts, read 3,081,239 times
Other programs running on your computer can cause that specific computer, or the whole network to slow down. I'm specifically thinking of Torrent file sharing. This is clearly a better thread in some internet/ISP specific forum.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:19 PM

I posted in this forum because I felt the issue was related to my specific area where I live. I have different computers running different operating systems and I tried connecting each one directly to the cable modem. Therefore I thought I pretty much ruled any issues due to any one of my computers.

Anyway, I was shuttled up to support level II with Time Warner. They still denied any work going on anywhere and scheduled someone to come out since they could not figure anything out from where they were. Thankfully, while I was on the phone with them 5 Time Warner trucks/vans pulled up a few yards from my home and are working on something now. Now, I finally have my download speed as well as upload speed back. Hopefully, they have resolved the issue.

Thanks again everyone.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,617 times
Be aware that a lot of TWC lines snake out through various areas and "lose" bandwidth and/or signal strength along the way.

For instance, we live in SW Durham near Southpoint Mall. Not only would our internet connection freeze regularly, our HD tv would go black, and our VoIP phone service would have problems. We finally got them to send a tech out.

He installed a signal booster in the house and told us this area has the weakest signal b/c it is essentially at the end of the line for TWC, which starts in d/t Raleigh.

We unplugged the booster recently to paint. When we did so, every tv in the house suffered from "snow." Apparently, the signal has gotten even worse, and it was pretty sorry to begin with. They may drive me to satellite yet.

OTOH, I tried Verizon's DSL for a week and thought it was even worse (far slower and lots of technical problems). That's the main reason I haven't ditched TWC for DirectTV. I just can't stand the thought of Verizon's DSL service again.

fwiw,
Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary