Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 12:57 PM

169 posts, read 778,355 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend stopping in Chapel Hill and looking at UNC and Franklin Street. UnC also has an arboretum similar to Duke Gardens.

Also, take a look at Duke Chapel while you're on the Duke campus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 11:04 PM

133 posts, read 710,945 times
Default 2nd day in the Triangle...

A nice looong restful sleep was very helpful. Woke up today feeling refreshed and raring to go!

The day started out kinda chilly...about high 50's low 60's. I was so excited to go out the door that I forgot my jacket. Brrrr...it was a bit cold for the first few hours in the day. By the middle of the afternoon, it was pretty warm. Not sure what the temp was...probably somewhere in the 70's.

Our realtor drove us around today. Very nice lady. Seemed very patient, especially with our two daughters in the backseat, which can be quite chatty and loud at times. Very nice to be driven around by someone who know the area very well.

*Helpful hint:
If you're visiting for the first time and driving around on your own, splurge a little bit and get a car w/ the GPS in it. We didn't and it was a mistake as we got lost in our first day. Our realtor had one in her car, and she's lived in the area for over 20 years. If a local resident needs it, then first time visitors don't have a chance! Better to spend a few bucks than waste your time driving around in circles. Getting lost is fun sometimes, but it can get old...fast.

We visited three subdivisions today, Grandale, River's Edge and Treyburn. All in Durham. Yes...Durham. They all had new construction and resales. All very nice neighborhoods w/ great homes. The lots were nice-sized (.25 to .4), all fairly wooded yet close to major stuff like shopping and schools. I'll post pics in a separate thread.
Then we went to the Crabtree Mall in Raleigh for dinner. PF Chang and the Cheesecake Factory were super busy...ended up at Ruby Tuesday. Was OK. So was the mall. I guess a mall is a mall, no biggie.

Old 04-15-2007, 09:52 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
HI2NC, can't wait to hear more about your visit! Hope you still got a lot done on Sunday in spite of the rain.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:15 PM

Default 3rd day...

Crazy weather!!!

We started out the day in the best way possible. We slept in. That was NICE! We then drove down to the Farmers Market to get a nice big breakfast. It was so late in the morning, and we ate so much, it served as lunch too. We didn't eat later until dinner.

*Helpful hint:
Not sure how the place is like in the weekday, but apparently, the Restaurant at the Farmer's Market is crowded. There was a huge line when we got there, and there was still a line there when we left. But the wait wasn't that bad though...went fairly quickly. Just make sure you got some time to spare. Not somewhere you can just pop in and out.

The food was great. The biscuits were awesome! I had to take a picture of the hot, steaming, buttery treats. I'll post pics later.
We then walked through the market. It wasn't as busy today, probably because of the weather, but still lots of fresh fruits, veggies, plants and flowers. We also went to the adjacent building where they had all kinds of knick-knacks and goodies. I got pics of those too. We bought some interesting stuff to take back w/ us. The best part of it all...FREE samples!

We then drove to Durham to check out the Duke Gardens. Got caught in a heavy downpour on the way. Hail started to pelt our rental. The visibility was sooo bad, lots of cars were pulled over to the side. Luckily, no accidents. All good.
Once we got to the garden, it was pretty clear, although the ground was a little wet. That place is GORGEOUS! I got pics, will post later. If you get a chance, you gotta visit. The best part of it all...its FREE! Walked around for an hour, then the heavy rains came through so we waited it out at the visitor center. Good timing!

We then drove to Streets of Southpoint Mall. The wife had to get some shopping done. Ate dinner there too. Lots of selections (from fine dining, sports bar to the food court). The mall was nice. A lot nicer than CrabTree. The kids play area (Kids Stadium) was good too, although its kinda built for bigger kids (5-9 yrs old) who can get kinda rough. Watch out for your little ones. Some parents don't really watch their kids, and that's why some of them go wild in there. We watched our kids closely, so they had tons of fun.

Back to house hunting tomorrow. N. Raleigh and Cary. Can't wait. Bring it on. Hoping for some milder weather though...at least dry weather would be nice.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:02 PM

Default 4th day in the Triangle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightmidnight View Post
I'd recommend stopping in Chapel Hill and looking at UNC and Franklin Street. UnC also has an arboretum similar to Duke Gardens.

Also, take a look at Duke Chapel while you're on the Duke campus!
Didn't get a chance to make it to Chapel Hill. Wished we had though. Seems like a really nice area. Although we did make it out to Duke. Got some time to walk through the gardens (sooo pretty) and drive through the campus to look at the chapel. Very impressive.

The winds today were wicked! Gusts are one thing, but add the chilly air into the mix...BRRR!!! At least it was dry.
We drove through parts of North Raleigh (Bedford, Wakefield) and a little section of Wake Forest. Stopped in at a little coffee shop to warm up a bit. Anyone in the WF area should swing by The Well coffee shop. Nice and cozy. We also visited some SDs in Cary/Apex/Holly Springs. Lots of beautiful SDs out there. So many to choose from. Be careful of some of the back roads there. They can get a little windy and its easy to lose your bearings. We got lost a couple of times. Oh well.
We saw sooo many houses in the past few days, but still wish we could have visited more areas during our stay. Not sure if we're any closer to pinning down one particular area. SW Durham seems great. Get a lot of house for your money, but there's still the allure of the *desirable* neighborhoods of N. Raleigh and Cary. Tough choice. We'll keep watching the market for that PERFECT house in the most ideal neighborhood for us. We did take a LOT of pictures during our stay. Will post as soon as I sift through them.

For those of you have who have been continually posting and offering tips and encouraging words, your help has been tremendous. Thanks a bunch!
For those of you still in the process of relocating...good luck. Hang in there!

Off to DisneyWorld!!!

Old 04-17-2007, 09:27 AM

607 posts, read 2,430,989 times
hi2nc;
Thank you for all the time you took to keep us informed. Sounds like you saw a lot.
I am looking forward to seeing the pictures. I hope you had fun in DisneyWorld.
Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary