Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:34 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
If you were on Olive Branch, you were kind of out in the country, and yes, people will just pass you like that. If faster traffic comes upon you, just pull over and wave them past - its better than having them tailgate, do something like pass over a double yellow, and maybe take you out in a wreck.

In general, if more people paid attention to their rear view mirrors, there'd be less of this. Let faster traffic by and it won't bother you like this.
And if there are NO shoulders? I should reduce my speed (which is the speed limit or slightly higher) to pull off onto an uneven non-existent shoulder, let SPEED RACER pass, then try to get back on the road and up to speed?

May be I could just pull into a driveway every time some one doing 75 in a 55 comes up behind me...If North Carolina wants me to go faster--RAISE THE SPEED limits..

Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
No trolling. I just reread your post and realized I missed something so I self-deleted. Calm down. Don't drive angry!
Don't post angry!

Try living in Idaho. It's considered rude to honk the horn, even when the guy ahead of you in the left turn lane has fallen asleep. No kidding, really happened and the guy wasn't drunk.
Folks here complain about New York/New Jersey drivers. In Idaho we complained about Cali drivers. Seems like the aggressive drivers are always from out of state? I will say that here it seems like turn signals are merely a suggestion, as are headlights during rain, speed limits (or even 10 mph over), and stopping for stop signs/lights.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:18 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
The slower traffic keep right signs don't seem to mean anything or apply to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Where are these signs? I've yet to see a single one in NC.
Actually I see several of these signs in various places around the Triangle and beyond.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:53 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times
Quote:
If you were on Olive Branch, you were kind of out in the country, and yes, people will just pass you like that. If faster traffic comes upon you, just pull over and wave them past - its better than having them tailgate, do something like pass over a double yellow, and maybe take you out in a wreck.

In general, if more people paid attention to their rear view mirrors, there'd be less of this. Let faster traffic by and it won't bother you like this.

That's the worst advice I have ever encountered on this board. I'd rather force them into a ditch than let them pass me and kill/maim oncoming motorists on a country road with double yellow lines and a posted speed limit. For example, 50 means maximum 50. It's not negotiable or whimsically convenient for anyone to go 70. These freaks need to get off the hooch and drive like they deserve the privilege. It's no wonder 30 teens have died on Johnston County back roads in recent years. That mentality is wrong and deadly.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:03 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
That's the worst advice I have ever encountered on this board. I'd rather force them into a ditch than let them pass me.
Yeah, that's much better advice.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:21 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
And if there are NO shoulders? I should reduce my speed (which is the speed limit or slightly higher) to pull off onto an uneven non-existent shoulder, let SPEED RACER pass, then try to get back on the road and up to speed?

May be I could just pull into a driveway every time some one doing 75 in a 55 comes up behind me...If North Carolina wants me to go faster--RAISE THE SPEED limits..
I would just brake so they get around you faster. Otherwise, they'll be over the double yellow longer and a general danger to more people including you longer.

Old 06-09-2009, 07:24 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
That's the worst advice I have ever encountered on this board. I'd rather force them into a ditch than let them pass me and kill/maim oncoming motorists on a country road with double yellow lines and a posted speed limit. For example, 50 means maximum 50. It's not negotiable or whimsically convenient for anyone to go 70. These freaks need to get off the hooch and drive like they deserve the privilege. It's no wonder 30 teens have died on Johnston County back roads in recent years. That mentality is wrong and deadly.
What a horrible attitude. If they are speeding, there's nothing safe you can do to stop them, just let them by. Trying to ram them off the road is dangerous and stupid - you could just as well end up in the ditch if the cars hit each other, plus if you're paying attention to a speeder, you're not paying attention to the road. Let the police handle speed limits - its not your job.

I'd much rather just let someone by than have them tailgate me and put me at risk of getting rear ended and run off the road if a deer or anything else caused me to brake hard. Let the faster driver by and I'm back to being in a safer road environment, and what does it cost me to let them by? Nothing.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:16 AM

2,006 posts, read 3,584,421 times
Quote:

This is exactly the advice of the defensive driving course I took in Maryland.

Speed up and get out of the way of an aggressive driver if possible. If you can't or won't you take your chances. It's not about the speed limit or principles, it's about an angry person behind you who has most definitely lost sight of the law and safety.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yeah, that's much better advice.

Thank you. I knew someone would agree.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 AM

282 posts, read 820,518 times
I guess I am one of the aggressive described in the original post. I never merge right at the beginning of the ramp, I always wait to reach traffic speed and find a space in traffic. In high traffic that sometimes means waiting till near the end, in high congestion it sometimes means merging into a space a bit to small and forcing a car to slow down, that's life. I find swerving into the lane right at the beginning and slowing down the entire right lane forcing brake lights is way more dangerous.

I would say the biggest driving problems in this area have more to do with cell phone usage and a lack of blinkers (often seems to be related). By focusing on the road, letting the crazies pass, and alerting those behind you of your intentions (through blinkers), driving can be very safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary