Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 08:50 PM

871 posts, read 3,018,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
there's a nice little vineyard in Mebane called Iron Gate. the wine is OK (not SUPER great, but they have a few worthwhile ones), but the facility is charming and they do a nice job with the tastings.

Mike

Funny you should mention them. Two very nice ladies from Iron Gate were set up at the farmer's market at Carpenter Village in Cary this past Saturday morning. It felt odd doing a wine tasting at 9:30 a.m., but I sure did and bought a bottle of cab. There's a place you could take your friend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 06:24 AM

250 posts, read 463,934 times
Hinnant Family Vineyards in Pine Level, NC

Old 08-25-2015, 07:55 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
North of Santa Barbara, CA.

Old 08-25-2015, 08:00 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I reallylike (red) wine, but IMO most of the NC Wine is not very good. There are some wineries that are at least interesting to visit, and a few that actually have some good wine. I have not found any very close to the Triangle though. But if you get further west, try out Shelton (good tour, so-so wine) or Raylen (probably the best NC wines I've tried).

If you want to taste some good wine, just go to one of the many local wine shops and taste some wine from California, Oregon, Chile, Australia, France, Italy, etc. I like Apex Beverage Company and Seaboard.

Are there any decent reds from the east coast? I know whites and fruits are big in VA but their reds s*ck. Been to a few wine festivals in The Plains and got white wine hangovers, mainly from sweet wines and hot afternoon sun.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:43 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Are there any decent reds from the east coast? I know whites and fruits are big in VA but their reds s*ck. Been to a few wine festivals in The Plains and got white wine hangovers, mainly from sweet wines and hot afternoon sun.
First, I can't believe someone opened a 6 year old thread just to post a lame comment. Anyway.

If you are ever in North Carolina, try going to Raylen in Mocksville or try Biltmore's Cardinal Crest available at Total Wine. It's made supposedly from California grapes but made at the estate. Stay away from Childress, try Junius Lindsay (I'd recommend the white).

My theory has always been that you can find good wine anywhere if you try. Although I admit, I'm not a big fan of muscadine.

Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 67,940 times
Taylor's Wine Shop has some fun in-store free tastings about twice a month

Old 08-27-2015, 06:52 AM

386 posts, read 605,801 times
The Wine Feed in Raleigh is pretty cool.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:14 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
I'd say most of the Barbera's I've had from the Yadkin AVA, especially Hutton's, are pretty decent. I like Cellar 4201's reds, particularly their Cherokee Red blend - great with a plate of lasagna or chicken parmesan. Be sure to look for chambourcins, especially again from the Yadkin or Swan Creek AVAs. Chambourcin is a French-American hybrid that grows particularly well here in the Southeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary