Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2009, 04:44 PM

8 posts, read 29,031 times

Advertisements

Hi all
Can any of you California transplants give me an idea of what your moving costs were? We have a 3 bedroom house, 2400 sf and a pool table (that's the part that's gonna hurt us!) Driving a rental truck ourselves isn't an option.
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM

4,304 posts, read 5,989,186 times
We took the middle road and packed an ABF U-Pack trailer ourselves and had that delivered here. We were coming from a 1200 sf house and sold a lot of our furniture, but we also had a large basement/garage there and still ended up moving a lot of stuff. We used 12 linear feet of the trailer and that ran us ~$2000.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:05 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
We paid about $18,000 to move from the Bay Area Ca to Raleigh (almost 4 years ago). We had around 3200sf in Ca plus lots of outdoor furniture/items and a motorcycle. They packed some of the items for us. It cost us an extra $2k to have our 2 SUV's transported.

Congratulations on the impending move! I hope you will love NC as much as we do!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,188,592 times
Ours was about $14,000 almost 3 years ago for 3200 sq feet from Sacramento. No appliances, left the master bedroom furniture. 3 bedrooms, living, dining, office, patio and family room furniture. Paid to have the kitchen and china packed for us.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:30 PM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
We moved a 2 BD 1200 sq ft with Mayflower and it cost about $2,500 + shipping a car + driving the other across country. Best of luck! We love it out here!

Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,173,076 times
i forget what we paid exactly, but we used ABF U-Pack as well to move from San Diego to here. when we sat down and did the math, we figured it would cost about the same (or maybe even LESS) than renting a large U-Haul, a trailer for the car, and paying the gas bill on the truck when gas was $4+/gallon. i can't say enough good things about the company and would recommend them to anyone.

Mike

Old 06-10-2009, 08:51 PM

11 posts, read 20,735 times
We are moving from Orange County to Durham next month and after getting moving quotes all over the place, ranging from $3,000 to $15,000, we have decided to sell as much of our 3 bedroom 3 bath home and take essentials only. We can pick up what we need back there and plus we will be contributing to the economy of our future home. We are going to rent a 12 foot trailer and fill it and our truck and drive across the country. While it may slow us down, we know that our things will be in our possession and will arrive when we need it to and not a month later. One thing I was worried about was no one could give us an exact quote until the day they arrive to move us. I can't accept that as we are moving on a budget and every penny matters. Each person is different, but what we have heard is get a lot of quotes, check out the moving company to make sure they are reputable and try to buy insurance.

Congratulations on your move.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
I know you didn't ask for advice but may I please offer some? We just moved from Georgia to NC and spent over $6,000 to move a tremendous amount of "Stuff" with us. We were both ill and just too tired to decide what to get ride of except the very obvious so we eneded bringing so much more than we should have. We had been in our house over 20 years and going thru it all was overwhelming. Now on the other end we still haven't unpacked in 4 months, we still have to make decisions about what to get rid of and we are out all that money. We're glad to be here but dealing with all the unwanted stuff is tiresome. Unless you have valuable antiques, etc I would suggest getting rid of stuff there and picking up stuff here. People in this area and economy are always unloading things and you will be better off without the tremendous expense. Good luck.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:18 PM

150 posts, read 506,936 times
We moved from a 1200 sq ft condo (2 bedroom, 2 bath plus garage, even getting rid of a lot) in Northern CA (Santa Cruz) and used a great moving company. It cost us a little more than we had hoped at $6,300 from doorstep to doorstep including third party full insurance (Santa Cruz to Cary), though we drove one car, and my sister and her hubby drove the other since they wanted to do a cross country trip, as did we (to see relatives along the way).

I wish you and your family the best in your move! We love it here-hope you will too!

Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary