Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM

226 posts, read 788,036 times

Advertisements

must have fallen out of the nest. I picked it up (wearing gloves) and put it in a wheelbarrow so my dogs wouldn't get to it. Who can I call to help with this?? I'm in Apex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:21 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,453,580 times
NC Wildlife website: ORPHANED WILDLIFE

Quote:
Licensed wildlife rehabilitators provide care for an animal to a point in which it can be released back into its natural environment. These rehabilitators can assist you with injured or orphaned wild
Find a licensed wildlife rehabilitators in your area - Link

Good Luck!

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times
all depends on its age - it may have been ready to fledge, and mom may feed it on the ground for awhile. You can call a rehabber to describe the condition, etc and they can best describe how to proceed.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:53 PM

I tried the link above but the woman listed in my area has a voice mail saying she is not participating anymore. I did some reading and Lisalrenee I think you might be right. Another older bird, perhaps Mom, has been flying over to it. Its in the wheelbarrow and from my window I can't see what's going on in there but I'm hoping its Mom coming to feed it. I don't know if I should leave it in the wheelbarrow where it is somewhat protected or put it back on the ground....

Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,385,873 times
Piedmont Wildlife Center

We found an injured Box Turtle last week and took it to the Piedmont Wildlife Center in Durham. They are caring for a lot of baby birds so you might want to give them a call.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:40 PM

I just found another one in the yard. This one was dead. This breaks my heart! There is another bird that keeps going over to the live one in the wheelbarrow so I'm hoping its Mom and together they will get the baby flying......

Old 06-11-2009, 07:10 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,218,650 times
It's hard to see, I know. I have seen at least five baby birds on the ground in my last week, on my mail route. Also seen a few dead ones. There is nothing I can do-I did ring one person's doorbell to see if they were home and could assist but they were not. I really do hate seeing it, but I guess it is part of springtime.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
I just found another one in the yard. This one was dead. This breaks my heart! There is another bird that keeps going over to the live one in the wheelbarrow so I'm hoping its Mom and together they will get the baby flying......

If another keeps going to the live one, then it's probably mom checking on it and all should go as well as possible - as long as she's aware of its location, and can feed and tend to it, it's as good a situation as you can create. Try to be vigilant of your dog's whereabouts now that you know what's going on - I've got 3, so I know it's easier said than done! This stage for birds doesn't usually take as long as we might think.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:59 PM

2,404 posts, read 6,578,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayVillage View Post
Hay, its really simple go and get some rice baby food ,mix with warm water , feed with popcicle stick in a few days it will be ready to return to its family . I did this many years ago was surprised to see that the bird remembered my wistle and would fly down to me when I called .

Old 06-12-2009, 04:37 AM

1,310 posts, read 2,939,819 times
Here's the drill...mom will kick out her young if she either laid too many eggs or food is scarce or she senses that this one is the weakest of the bunch. It's called survival of the fittest. By rescuing this bird, you may have polluted this species gene pool! Don't mess with mother nature...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary