U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,650,456 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone has any ideas, reviews, first-hand experiences, and especially recommendations of nursing homes (not just assisted living, but more managed nursing home care) in the triangle. If you know if they work with Medicaid, then that would be added beneficial information.

Any and all suggestions and commentary are welcome. Thx!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 01:14 AM

Sorry folks, I'm usually not a bumper or too impatient, but no responses had been made and, since a lot of activity has taken place on the board in just one day, the thread has dropped down to the second page. Unfortunately, this topic has become an important personal one for us.

Thanks!

Old 06-13-2009, 02:24 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,398,313 times
My neighbor is in the process of placing her father in a nursing home. I'll let you know when I find out more.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:32 AM

1,357 posts, read 3,878,915 times
Why don't you look up some in the phone book and go visit? You could go unannounced and just act like you're clueless and that's why you didn't make an appt =), then you can really see how the staff treat patients, how clean it is, etc.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
Why don't you look up some in the phone book and go visit? You could go unannounced and just act like you're clueless and that's why you didn't make an appt =), then you can really see how the staff treat patients, how clean it is, etc.
That's a good point! And one I did, in fact, do yesterday. I'll probably randomly visit places, but a recommendation and/or review from someone with firsthand experience after some period of time is definitely worth more than my one time visit. However, in the meantime, that's all I got. Many thx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtoNC! View Post
My neighbor is in the process of placing her father in a nursing home. I'll let you know when I find out more.
Thx MAtoNC... I look forward to any feedback you can provide.

Old 06-14-2009, 03:55 PM

27 posts, read 67,519 times
Caliboy, you should try Resources for Seniors...They usually have information about nursing homes. You can also try making appointments and go visit these facilities...ask questions that are important to you...for instance, admission and discharge policies, what kind of personal care do the clients receive, what is the client/staff ratio...the cost...These are all valid questions to ask a prospective home for your family member. Once you have narrowed down your choices, you can check with Wake County adult services to see what their status is and if they have had any significant violations. You can also check with the division of health service regulation to see what their star rating is.

BTW, there are also smaller facilities with six or less residents that provide similar care as nursing or assisted living facilities but in a homelike atmosphere. Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need more information.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:02 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,291,413 times
Is the person already in need of full-time care or just looking toward the future. There are a number of very nice places in the Triangle, but the ones I know of will not take people who are in need of full time care. Rather, they need to be able to live independently, but once they are there, they will be taken care of through both assisted living and full nursing care. Just can't go in at the full-care stage.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:05 PM

1,190 posts, read 3,898,766 times
Default reply

I had a great Aunt that lived out the last few years of her life at Blue Ridge Health Center on Blue Ridge Rd above Crabtree Mall. It gets very good reviews and my family was pleased with the level of care that she received. They do accept medicare and medicade. The best in Raleigh imo is Mayview on Whitaker Mill Rd near Five Points.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:40 PM

I do have a list of places I'm going through, but definitely want to hear first-hand accounts. Any commentary is welcome as those that have already come through have been quite helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
I had a great Aunt that lived out the last few years of her life at Blue Ridge Health Center on Blue Ridge Rd above Crabtree Mall. It gets very good reviews and my family was pleased with the level of care that she received. They do accept medicare and medicade. The best in Raleigh imo is Mayview on Whitaker Mill Rd near Five Points.
Thx, UT! I'm gonna give them a call and look into these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedneighbor09 View Post
BTW, there are also smaller facilities with six or less residents that provide similar care as nursing or assisted living facilities but in a homelike atmosphere. Hope this helps. Please feel free to contact me if you need more information.
CN, I'll take you up on your offer. Send me anything you know about these smaller facilities as I was unaware of such places. But any other resources will prove helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogandtoad View Post
Is the person already in need of full-time care or just looking toward the future. There are a number of very nice places in the Triangle, but the ones I know of will not take people who are in need of full time care. Rather, they need to be able to live independently, but once they are there, they will be taken care of through both assisted living and full nursing care. Just can't go in at the full-care stage.
She just became full-time after falling and breaking her hip in the nursing facility. No explanation as to why it happened or how, but that's how that came to be. However, she has been making some very good improvements over the course of the last 48 hours, so I hope she will move back to only needing assistance. Even though she just wants to go home and live independently again and has voiced this just today to the nurse in charge, she's been home twice since the stroke and has shown she has yet been able to manage on her own without assistance. Being half way across the country from her doesn't help. But at least her voicing her concerns of wanting to go home (as well as her increased weight gain closer to normal) has been an encouragin improvement over the last bunch of weeks.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:16 PM

27 posts, read 67,519 times
Caliboy, can she move on her own, with the need of a walker or totally non-ambulatory at this point? If she needs physical therapy, i would suggest Blue Ridge Health Center..I know a couple of residents there and they do good work with them. After PT, you would then be able to place her in a smaller facility. These facilities are called Family Care Homes and they are for 2-6 residents. There are some that specialize in elderly only and I have a good friend who runs such a facility. She only takes 65 and older and preferrably female. She has semi as well as private rooms. The only major issue is that, the prospective resident has to be Ambulatory or Semi. If you need more information please let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary