Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 05:53 PM

3,307 posts, read 8,561,460 times

Advertisements

A big reason why the water is warmer here is because it is much shallower. You can go a couple hundred yards off the beach in CA and be in Hundreds of feet of water. You can go 30 miles off the coast of Southeastern NC and be in only 95 feet of water. Being shallow is another reason why we don't get the HUGE sweeping waves that you will find in CA and on the west coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
I hope you enjoy NC. I sure do. I moved from Irvine to NC (via SC), and love it here. But . . .

The weather is in no way similar (#12). It is MUCH more humid (SoCal is dry), and much hotter. Winters here are much colder. Lows in SoCal may average in the 50s, lows here can average in the 30s.

It is true we have a lot of tech and computer companies, but don't rely on them for jobs. Nearly all of them have had massive layoffs, as people on this board can attest to. There are a glut of IT and computer geeks here.

Cary is nice, and the newer parts (the west and south sides) do remind me of Irvine, because of it's newness and manicured look. But there are other parts of the triangle that are equally, or more, appealing, so don't focus just on Cary as a place to live. It seems that a lot of people fall in love with Cary, and move here, because it seems comfortable and more in line with what they were leaving behind.

And you are 100% mistaken about the Mexican food here (#11). It is crap. Don't fool yourself.

Everything green (#9)? Now it is. Live here in the fall when all the leaves drop.

There are pros and cons to living here. Don't hype it up too much, or you are bound to be disappointed after you really live here.
You realize they've lived here a year, now
...and who knew all the crappy Mexican cooks moved and settled here?!?

Old 06-13-2009, 11:38 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
I post this in the interest of those considering a move here, esp from Calif. No offense meant but I think you're anywhere from somewhat to WAY off and/or generally painting a rosier pic than is true, ie:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia16 View Post
1. In North Carolina, houses are still affordable.
.....compared to "SoCal," most of the country is MORE affordable. And you may not be intending to do so, but some act like housing is soooo dirt cheap here. It isn't bad, but it isn't that amazing.

Quote:
2. we’ll be just minutes away from Research Triangle Park in North Carolina. Research Triangle Park is home to over 30,000 tech jobs,
Say it with me people: RTP IS NOT THE GOLD MINE OF JOBS, ESP IT JOBS, IT USED TO BE TO PUT IT MILDLY. Layoffs and hiring freezes are as common here if not moreso than most other areas of the country. Anyone coming here as an IT person due to posts like the above which imply otherwise is a fool who will likely will get what they deserve.

Quote:
In general, pay rates for technology jobs are surprisingly similar to those in LA.
I'm hearing upwards of $20K+ less per year - y'all can decide if that's suprisingly similar for yourselves.

Quote:
think of the best BBQ you’ve ever had in Southern California, and then make it about 100% better. And then dip it in some ridiculously good sauce.
...and then learn how to eat BBQ properly. Good grief - you don't dip it in sauce like some freakin french au jus roast beef sandwich. PS: Raleigh is one of the worst places to be in NC for the best of NC BBQ. Lexington or points east are what ya want (not saying you can't still get good BBQ here, although really, it's hard to mess up BBQ).

Quote:
8. On average, everything is clean and new,

One of the biggest NC myths ever. It's no slum, but frankly this "everything is so clean and new" is pure nonsense. It's no more or less clean than most places - in fact and the major highways are literally quite trashy). And a lot of it is not at all new (although that isn't necessarily bad).

Quote:
9. The default thing you’ll find in North Carolina, in the absence of human intervention, is wall to wall green trees.
?? And this is different than most other areas of the country how? Also given that there is a TON of "human intervention" going on, this is hardly a reason to prefer or aim for NC.

Quote:
They have great restaurants (including pretty good Mexican food), a local music scene, local artists, performing arts, theater, museums, diverse people with diverse interests, etc.
NC has a lot of nice things about it, but pls don't try to paint "the Triangle" as some big cultural hub, because that's quite laughable. In fact those I know from major cities like LA, DC etc have reminded me as much.

I also think the whole "diversity" bit is grossly overstated (not saying by you per se....a general observation here). It's not significantly more "diverse" than most areas IMO.

Quote:
12. The weather is pretty similar to California,
LOL

Yeah right. Hardly.

Quote:
13. The beaches, which are just two or three hours away, are on the East coast. The water there comes up from Mexico, and not down from Alaska. Despite California’s reputation as a beach state, the water is much warmer and more comfortable at a beach in North Carolina.
Have only been on Calif beaches a few times, but didn't notice much diff, if any. And generally speaking, comparing Calif beaches to NC beaches is even funnier than the weather comparsions.

Quote:
15. Apparently High Point, North Carolina is the furniture capital of the world. It seems that people in other states across the country who are buying a good deal of furniture can sometimes save thousands of dollars by flying to North Carolina, staying there for a day or two, and flying home and having the furniture shipped to their house. (Wife is a huge home decor fan)
I seriously question that, but even if so, the # of people who can save enough money for this to be worth the effort is EXTREMELY small....certainly not the avg Joe.

Again: NC has a lot to like about it, not saying otherwise. To me though this just over-the-top hype smacks of a hidden agenda (eg real estate agent pimping the place). Hope I'm wrong and pardon any offense, but it's not like that doesn't go on.

Last edited by joey2000; 06-13-2009 at 11:48 PM..

Old 06-14-2009, 04:47 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,423,346 times
Ok Joey, every statement you made in your above post about NC was negative.....then at the end you said NC "has a lot to like about it". So, give us your positives.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:20 AM

171 posts, read 430,211 times
Yeah, after six years in LA, I completely understand all of the positive points Petunia16 made. Coming up on two years later, I have no regrets and haven't been back to visit. Welcome!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:35 AM

And when did joey become an expert on NC barbeque!?
Having grown up and gone to college Down East, I can attest that yes...Raleigh does have great barbecue....Clyde Cooper's anyone? And YES you do/can dip it in the sauce...I guess he's never been to a pig pickin'. There have been many times I've had a little bowl of the basting sauce right beside my plate. You do know you don't have to eat it in a sandwich, right?
As for being negative/sarcastic/catty...no surprise there.

Last edited by daveraleigh; 06-14-2009 at 05:54 AM..

Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Ok Joey, every statement you made in your above post about NC was negative.....
No, it wasn't. It just wasn't a "NC equals heaven!" shill type post.

Quote:
then at the end you said NC "has a lot to like about it". So, give us your positives.
More to the point would be positives about NC that are notably better than most areas (ie the point if someone was considering moving here) - I would say:

- mild winters (actually you could say that about most of the South, but some of those areas have "worse" summers ie even more humid etc)
- reasonably priced housing (not dirt cheap)
- good crime-wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveraleigh View Post
I can attest that yes...Raleigh does have great barbecue....Clyde Cooper's anyone? And YES you do/can dip it in the sauce...I guess he's never been to a pig pickin'. There have been many times I've had a little bowl of the basting sauce right beside my plate. You do know you don't have to eat it in a sandwich,
Yeah, but I have never seen/heard of dipping it - haven't been to Coopers either, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt offhand. I simply haven't had any truly great BBQ here, ie way better than any NC style 'Q I can get in another state, and have heard about Raleigh being surprisingly absent of great BBQ places from numerous people who have lived here a long time. (I'll have to ask about Coopers)

Quote:
As for being negative/sarcastic/catty...no surprise there.
So you attack me - and I'm negative and catty. Might want to be careful around mirrors.

I wasn't "being negative" - I was offering a differing and IMO more realistic counter to another "NC is so amazing and perfect" (etc) type of posts I see here, as I think it might offer a more realistic balance and so be useful to people reading this forum and thinking about moving here.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:41 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,008,315 times
Sorry but I really had to LOL at the ocean temp comparison. Joey evidentally you have never swam in the water in cali and froze your a*r*s*e off with the rest of us. Take a nice trip out to Stinson beach and see how long you last in the water there. Or go ahead and dive right in at any southern cali beach and tell me it is anywhere close to the temps the east coast water gets to during the summer. Average SO Cal water temp in summer is 68 degrees. That is in August/September On the news last night they said water at NC beaches was 79 degrees and it is only June!

Old 06-14-2009, 12:44 PM

Brrrrrrrr!
I will say there is a huge difference in water temp b/w say the Outer Banks and Wilmington.
The summer I lived on the OBX...I remember it was almost July and the water was still so cold it hurt...lol...but not sure of the actual temp.
Do Cali beaches have the jellyfish problems we deal with at different points in the summer?

Old 06-14-2009, 12:53 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,535 times
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
I post this in the interest of those considering a move here, esp from Calif. No offense meant but I think you're anywhere from somewhat to WAY off and/or generally painting a rosier pic than is true, ie:

.....compared to "SoCal," most of the country is MORE affordable. And you may not be intending to do so, but some act like housing is soooo dirt cheap here. It isn't bad, but it isn't that amazing.

Say it with me people: RTP IS NOT THE GOLD MINE OF JOBS, ESP IT JOBS, IT USED TO BE TO PUT IT MILDLY. Layoffs and hiring freezes are as common here if not moreso than most other areas of the country. Anyone coming here as an IT person due to posts like the above which imply otherwise is a fool who will likely will get what they deserve.

I'm hearing upwards of $20K+ less per year - y'all can decide if that's suprisingly similar for yourselves.

...and then learn how to eat BBQ properly. Good grief - you don't dip it in sauce like some freakin french au jus roast beef sandwich. PS: Raleigh is one of the worst places to be in NC for the best of NC BBQ. Lexington or points east are what ya want (not saying you can't still get good BBQ here, although really, it's hard to mess up BBQ).

One of the biggest NC myths ever. It's no slum, but frankly this "everything is so clean and new" is pure nonsense. It's no more or less clean than most places - in fact and the major highways are literally quite trashy). And a lot of it is not at all new (although that isn't necessarily bad).

?? And this is different than most other areas of the country how? Also given that there is a TON of "human intervention" going on, this is hardly a reason to prefer or aim for NC.

NC has a lot of nice things about it, but pls don't try to paint "the Triangle" as some big cultural hub, because that's quite laughable. In fact those I know from major cities like LA, DC etc have reminded me as much.

I also think the whole "diversity" bit is grossly overstated (not saying by you per se....a general observation here). It's not significantly more "diverse" than most areas IMO.

LOL

Yeah right. Hardly.

Have only been on Calif beaches a few times, but didn't notice much diff, if any. And generally speaking, comparing Calif beaches to NC beaches is even funnier than the weather comparsions.

I seriously question that, but even if so, the # of people who can save enough money for this to be worth the effort is EXTREMELY small....certainly not the avg Joe.

Again: NC has a lot to like about it, not saying otherwise. To me though this just over-the-top hype smacks of a hidden agenda (eg real estate agent pimping the place). Hope I'm wrong and pardon any offense, but it's not like that doesn't go on.
Joey- You are wrong. Lexington style barbecue is famous for it's "dip". It is sauce used at the table to use as a dip or a sauce. It is served at most every Cue joint west of Orange County. They have served it that way for many a year. It is generally not offered down east.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary