Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM

291 posts, read 958,040 times

Advertisements

I've been looking online for houses and it appears to me that homes in the area south of Raleigh are about 100k cheaper than north Raleigh for the same size house. The school district is the same (Wake) and I can't figure out why it is cheaper. I also noticed that some of the neighborhoods in areas south of Raleigh don't have sidewalks but I'm not so sure this is the only difference.

Any ideas? Please advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 01:37 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,049,240 times
Default reply

crime, higher percentage of rentals and overall reputation for being less than desirable. Fair or not, that is the perception of south and southeast Raleigh. Has been for my entire life. But I know alot of great folks that I went to school with from these areas. They are improving greatly imo. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:46 PM

76 posts, read 208,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I've been looking online for houses and it appears to me that homes in the area south of Raleigh are about 100k cheaper than north Raleigh for the same size house. The school district is the same (Wake) and I can't figure out why it is cheaper. I also noticed that some of the neighborhoods in areas south of Raleigh don't have sidewalks but I'm not so sure this is the only difference.

Any ideas? Please advice.
I hate to be the one to break it to you but south Raleigh has always been considered an undesirable area by Raleigh natives. Unfortunately it's a taboo that Raleigh can't shake, especially when compared to North Raleigh.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM

Thank you! I had a feeling that was the case but I just wanted to be sure.

Old 06-14-2009, 04:27 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I had clients that wanted to live in Garner, to be close to his work. However, once they checked the scores for the schools in that area, they decided that wasn't going to work for them.

Instead, they found a home that was about 10 min. further down the road, actually in Johnston County and they felt much better about the area AND the schools.

Vicki

Old 06-14-2009, 05:41 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
I've been looking online for houses and it appears to me that homes in the area south of Raleigh are about 100k cheaper than north Raleigh for the same size house. The school district is the same (Wake) and I can't figure out why it is cheaper.
Are you talking about the area south of downtown, but still within the Raleigh city limits? Or are you talking about the area south of the Raleigh city limits?

First is the area within the city limits of Raleigh and to the south of downtown. I'd say Tryon Rd can be considered the southern boundary of this area. There are some nice areas and some struggling neighborhoods. The NC State campus is a little southwest of downtown. I've heard that southeast of downtown is worse, but I haven't had a need to go over there, so I can't comment.

If you go farther south, outside of the Raleigh city limits, you enter into unincorporated Wake county. This area includes the Swift Creek watershed area, and consists of some extremely nice new subdivisions, small family farms, the NC State agriculture land, and unfortunately some trailer parks. I live in this area and think it is very nice. Because of the watershed restrictions, there are no strip malls and everyone has a big 1/2 acre minimum lot. If you go even farther south, you end up in Fuquay Varina.

I like the area north of Raleigh in the Falls Lake watershed better (north of 540 and south of Falls Lake), but as you say, sometimes the prices were a bit too much for a modest budget.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Are you talking about the area south of downtown, but still within the Raleigh city limits? Or are you talking about the area south of the Raleigh city limits?
Right--this is unclear in your (the OP) post. do you mean "Southern Raleigh" or "South of Raleigh". Southern (specifically Southeastern) Raleigh has always been "the bad side of town". Not that there aren't some pareas that have been cleaned up, but without knowing your way around, I'd avoid it. The old adage about "location x3" seldom goes wrong, and prices reflect this. So finding an area where prices seem low should (as it did) send up a flag to you to ask for more info. Sometimes it's just because an area is farther away from where people want to be (Garner, for example, is cheaper than Raleigh not because, by and large, there's anything "wrong" with it, but because it's a longer commute for those working in Raleigh or RTP), but sometimes there are "reasons", especially when a whole section of town is markedly less expensive than other nearby areas.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:15 AM

I'm not sure specifically what areas you are talking about since I'm not familiar with the area.

Here are some examples:
6618 Frogstool Lane, Raleigh NC - Trulia

3619 Tuckland Drive, Raleigh NC - Trulia

2905 Filbert Street, Raleigh NC - Trulia

The houses look nice and it is a great price for this size house, so that's why I'm wondering about the area...

Old 06-15-2009, 08:32 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
I'm not sure specifically what areas you are talking about since I'm not familiar with the area.

Here are some examples:
6618 Frogstool Lane, Raleigh NC - Trulia

3619 Tuckland Drive, Raleigh NC - Trulia

2905 Filbert Street, Raleigh NC - Trulia

The houses look nice and it is a great price for this size house, so that's why I'm wondering about the area...
I put those addresses into Google maps and see that they are a bit out from "SE Raleigh" per se...especially the two near golf courses! This development is a newer part of town for what I'm familiar with (it was all undeveloped land the last time I was out that way), so I can't comment, but thanks for providing specifics for your question. I would not say that these, at least the first two, are really in the "bad part of town" as they're farther out, but that's just from looking at the map. Someone more familiar with that area will need to steer you further.

Old 06-15-2009, 08:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Someone more familiar with that area will need to steer you further.
Yeah. . . . I don't get that far east either. I rarely venture to the east of Garner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary