Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 08:47 AM

335 posts, read 801,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
To all of you who have been out of work I wish you good luck and strength to endure.

I suffered through a thirteen month layoff during the mini-recession in 2003 and learned more about myself, my support network and what commitment really means in a marriage (my wife didn't blink save once when I pitched a crazy idea) then I'd ever wanted to know.

Once we break on through and get to the other side of this train wreck you'll feel better knowing you can and did survive.

Exactly. Kindly words to live by.
My fiance and I have held on to our jobs even though the Raleigh branch of his company got shut down. Now he's in VA most of the time while I hold down the fort. Several neighbors have been out of work for 6-9 months and we have tried to share what little wealth we have by contracting them to do yard improvements, pet sitting, mowing, various odd jobs too small for most pros to consider. The money may not be a whole lot but every little bit helps until they can find another job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:18 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,576,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
Exactly. Kindly words to live by.
My fiance and I have held on to our jobs even though the Raleigh branch of his company got shut down. Now he's in VA most of the time while I hold down the fort. Several neighbors have been out of work for 6-9 months and we have tried to share what little wealth we have by contracting them to do yard improvements, pet sitting, mowing, various odd jobs too small for most pros to consider. The money may not be a whole lot but every little bit helps until they can find another job.
One of the secrets I can share with those out of work is that survival comes not in a huge package but rather small meted amounts. So your kindness won't pay a mortgage but it will allow someone to do something with their time that makes them some money and helps them keep moving forward.

Surviving is its own reward and it's a sweet one at that.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:22 PM

406 posts, read 787,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
One of the secrets I can share with those out of work is that survival comes not in a huge package but rather small meted amounts. So your kindness won't pay a mortgage but it will allow someone to do something with their time that makes them some money and helps them keep moving forward.

Surviving is its own reward and it's a sweet one at that.
Day by Day

Old 09-19-2009, 10:44 PM

Jobs still scarce in Triangle

Jobs still scarce in Triangle - Local & State - News & Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1696175.html - broken link)

Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Could be worse, most places have been hit harder than the Raleigh area.

What recession? Raleigh, Durham top Forbes list :: WRAL.com

Old 09-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Could be worse, most places have been hit harder than the Raleigh area.

What recession? Raleigh, Durham top Forbes list :: WRAL.com
That story is from March

Old 09-20-2009, 01:38 PM

351 posts, read 1,069,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsluvskaz View Post
That story is from March
Thank you, I realize that. Unemployment has gone from 7.9% the time of the article to 8.8% present. If your one of the 1% gain I know it's a huge deal but overall the jest of the article is still true. A lot of metro ares in the US are at 10-15% unemployment with little hope of getting better. Once things really kick in again, the Triangle will come back very strong just like it always does. If you remember, the Triangle area was hit pretty hard during the early 2000's high-tech recession and we came back very strong ater that recession. Overall the Triangle is still in better shape than must metro areas.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
I was perusing Unemployment rates earlier for another state, so went back to look at your area. Things could be worse, but they could also be a LOT better. Here's what the Bureau of Labor Statistics says:
Attached Thumbnails
How bad is employment situation in the Triangle?-raleigh-unemployment.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Once things really kick in again, the Triangle will come back very strong just like it always does
I hope you are right and I hope it is not a jobless recovery.

Old 09-20-2009, 02:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
They've also been saying on the local news that one reason for the static number is not that people are getting jobs, but that they're giving up looking (in which case they are not counted in the figures--only those actively searching for work are counted in Unemployment statistics).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary