U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 06:32 PM

35 posts, read 117,623 times

Advertisements

Do you take 98 to six forks to downtown? Moving to town in July and I'm trying to picture which way that would be...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2007, 08:01 PM

842 posts, read 3,053,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Now I don't quite work in downtown - I work at New Bern Ave and I-440 - but I can make it there from our house in Wake Forest in 15 minutes easy. We live on the southern end of Wake Forest off Burlington Mill Rd and I take either Ligon Mill/Forestville Rd to Hwy 401 to I-540 to the new 64 Bypass. Now this is not the most direct route but it's FAST. If I did work downtown I may take that route, anyway, as downtown is only another 5-10 minutes past my work.
From your location, that may very well be the fastest route, but it's quite a distance traveling that way to downtown.
Other problems with that route....
1) I would anticipate that it's not going to be too long at all before Ligon Mill and Forestville roads are congested. There's building several large developments up there, and those are only 2 lane roads.
2) There putting a large commercial/residential complex at US-401 and I-540.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:56 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,090,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
From your location, that may very well be the fastest route, but it's quite a distance traveling that way to downtown.
Other problems with that route....
1) I would anticipate that it's not going to be too long at all before Ligon Mill and Forestville roads are congested. There's building several large developments up there, and those are only 2 lane roads.
2) There putting a large commercial/residential complex at US-401 and I-540.
Ligon Mill is already mostly developed from 401 to Main Street. While that entire stretch is only a 2-lane road, there is only 1 stoplight in that stretch which makes all the difference in the world. (Similar to Litchford Rd in North Raleigh which moves pretty well between Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest.)

Forestville Rd, though, does have some new development coming so I could see that way becoming more congested as you mention.

The 401 area near I-540 (to Ligon Mill) was recently expanded to 3-4 lanes each way and now that area moves really well. (It moves very well all the way to the merge with Capital Blvd.) If they add stoplights then it will start to become more congested.

I have found the trick to Raleigh is avoiding intersections with stoplights. The light cycles are so long and they are not timed for optimal traffic flow so you end up hitting red lights most of the time. Those sensors are great at night, etc, as they only flash red lights when needed but during high traffic periods it's an unorganized mess as the sensors are constantly triggered in all directions. They should time the lights so if you are traveling south on Falls of the Neuse you don't have to stop at every intersection.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:36 PM

842 posts, read 3,053,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Ligon Mill is already mostly developed from 401 to Main Street. While that entire stretch is only a 2-lane road, there is only 1 stoplight in that stretch which makes all the difference in the world. (Similar to Litchford Rd in North Raleigh which moves pretty well between Falls of Neuse and Spring Forest.)

Forestville Rd, though, does have some new development coming so I could see that way becoming more congested as you mention.

The 401 area near I-540 (to Ligon Mill) was recently expanded to 3-4 lanes each way and now that area moves really well. (It moves very well all the way to the merge with Capital Blvd.) If they add stoplights then it will start to become more congested.

I have found the trick to Raleigh is avoiding intersections with stoplights. The light cycles are so long and they are not timed for optimal traffic flow so you end up hitting red lights most of the time. Those sensors are great at night, etc, as they only flash red lights when needed but during high traffic periods it's an unorganized mess as the sensors are constantly triggered in all directions. They should time the lights so if you are traveling south on Falls of the Neuse you don't have to stop at every intersection.
I hope you're right, considering I'm moving there at the end of June.

But I'm still concerned about the impact from a new Centex development called "Highland Creek" on Ligon Mill Rd, mentioned here...
New develpments; Cary/Wake Forest/N.Raleigh

And then there's the 5401 project at I-540 and US-401...
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsAndObserver
* 5401 North, which would consist of nearly 1,200 residences and more than 1.6 million square feet of offices, shops and restaurants, along with a 250-room hotel, movie theater, and a plaza for concerts and other gatherings, on 260 acres.

Developers are in talks to provide land for a park and school on the site, along with helping the city to build a community center. The goal is to create an urban town center, with apartments above ground-floor shops, that is easy for pedestrians to navigate, said Mack Paul, a Raleigh lawyer representing the Louisiana developer.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:47 PM

2,307 posts, read 2,090,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
I hope you're right, considering I'm moving there at the end of June.

But I'm still concerned about the impact from a new Centex development called "Highland Creek" on Ligon Mill Rd, mentioned here...
New develpments; Cary/Wake Forest/N.Raleigh

And then there's the 5401 project at I-540 and US-401...
Highland Creek won't have any residents until at least the summer of 2008. (They won't start building anything until next January. I know this because we bought a Centex home in Dansforth but I checked into Highland Creek as well.) It will be 3-5 years before that complex is complete. Even so, most of those people will exit right onto 401 so hopefully the impact on the Ligon Mill/401 intersection will be small.

In addition, there are plans to widen 401 all the way to Rolesville and also widen Forestville road but I don't know exactly when those will be done.

As far as the 5401 project goes, the articles I've seen about it say it won't be done until 2012. Without seeing specifics on road patterns and the fact it's so far out in the future I'm not worried about it too much.

Last edited by iamweasel; 04-16-2007 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-07-2007, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,452 times
Canine, don't worry about going downtown, there are not too many reasons to go there. I have lived in WF for 26 years. There is much to do North of the city and it is growing every day. I was in Miami two weeks ago. You will love it here. Stay off of Capital at rush hour and you will have no problem. The traffic here is NOTHING like most metropolitan areas. Stay north of the city. That is where everything is growing.

Old 05-07-2007, 08:18 PM

404 posts, read 2,501,376 times
only problem is im an average joe,and will probably be working at a hotel,target,mall,etc.
Wasnt sure if their were jobs like that around wake forest...

Old 05-07-2007, 08:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,954,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canine7 View Post
only problem is im an average joe,and will probably be working at a hotel,target,mall,etc.
Wasnt sure if their were jobs like that around wake forest...
Not many hotels, but plenty of other options. Don't sell yourself short in other areas of interest. There are entry level jobs in other industries if you look.

Old 05-07-2007, 09:04 PM
jco

2,120 posts, read 6,110,194 times
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only problem with Wake Forest is that although it's not very far from downtown Raleigh in terms of distance, you have to travel on Capital Blvd to get there. Capital south of I-540 is stop-and-go traffic lights. Capital north of I-540 is bumper-to-bumper traffic during rush hours. Expect at least a 1/2 hour commute to downtown.
Does the city plan to do anything to make the commute better?

Old 05-07-2007, 09:19 PM

3,124 posts, read 11,954,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco View Post
Does the city plan to do anything to make the commute better?
That would be the city of Raleigh, not Wake Forest, but their options are limited. There has been talk making Capital limited access, which wouldn't be the worst option, but not sure if that is ever going to go anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary