Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 05:02 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,042,515 times

Advertisements

Durham has many excellent eating establishments. To think otherwise in factually incorrect. Too many great places to name. My favorite is Four Square.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 05:19 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,333,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
first, where the heck do volvos and drug shootings go together?!
also, in a nutshell: i dont like durham. i find it to be all the crap of a city without any tall buildings, nice restaurants, or cool shopping (the mall is ok, but i can drive there from raleigh every month if i want). raleigh isn't really a city either, it's a collection of suburbs and urban areas. but they're mostly pretty nice with some cool restaurants, shopping, events, etc. and there is a small, real downtown to enjoy. plus it has a skyline. i dont really get why people moving to the area would choose to live in durham unless they work there and *really* hate driving.
Sorry you don't care for Durham and all it has to offer. Hopefully over time it will win you over. In the meantime here are some suggested restaurants to try out. (sorry, I know I have posted these links like a million times now)

America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Where to Eat in America's Foodiest Small Town: The Bon Appetit Foodist: Blogs & Forums : bonappetit.com

Old 06-16-2009, 05:22 PM

190 posts, read 1,074,810 times
emphasis is mine...

Quote:
first, where the heck do volvos and drug shootings go together?!
also, in a nutshell: i dont like durham. i find it to be all the crap of a city without any tall buildings, nice restaurants, or cool shopping (the mall is ok, but i can drive there from raleigh every month if i want). raleigh isn't really a city either, it's a collection of suburbs and urban areas. but they're mostly pretty nice with some cool restaurants, shopping, events, etc. and there is a small, real downtown to enjoy. plus it has a skyline. i dont really get why people moving to the area would choose to live in durham unless they work there and *really* hate driving.
You don't have to get why people would choose to live in Durham.... some of us just do. It doesn't mean we "really hate driving", although I didn't care much for the drive from Wake Forest, that is NOT the reason I moved to Durham... I love where I live, and that is really all that matters to me... I choose to live in Durham, and I could have chosen lots of other places , but they weren't for ME...(I looked in Cary, rented in Raleigh and Wake Forest, but BOUGHT my home in Durham). You wouldn't hear me say " i dont like fill in the city here.... i find it to be all the crap of a city without any tall buildings, nice restaurants, or cool shopping". That is just rude... A place might not be for me, and I may not like it for me, but I would not criticize another city just because it isn't for me....I also wouldn't discourage people from considering a place that I don't personally like... People ask questions about Durham, Raleigh, Cary, Chapel Hill, etc, and I speak highly of my chosen city...but I don't feel the need to criticize somewhere else in the process... I just don't get it.... then again, maybe I don't have to... but I do love where I live, and I encourage people to check it out for THEMSELVES, and make their OWN decisions... Cheers!

Old 06-16-2009, 05:26 PM

190 posts, read 1,074,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
OH NO!!!!!! This is not going to be good. At least I didn't say it.

I had a good chuckle from this one, you made my day!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 06:42 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,150,631 times
Quote:

FWIW - I do think you need to check Durham out a little more. You have not been here long and may have missed some great things in Durham. I absolutely hate city living, but even I can find some great things in Durham, as well as Raleigh.

You are correct in that we do not have "real" cities here, when you compare them to Charlotte or Boston. Your description of Raleigh as a bunch of suburbs is pretty accurate. I would like to see both cities continue to grow and add more city like buildings, not that I would live there.
lol i know, open up the floodgates, right? i got more replies to this in an hour than i've gotten from my last 50 posts.

to the people who are offended... listen, i don't care where you live, or whether you think i'm rude. maybe i am. that doesn't make what i said inaccurate. it's just my opinion. i still don't have any reasons why durham isn't worse than anywhere else around. and no, i haven't been here long, but i've been to durham a half dozen times, and it's not a huge place. i've seen what there is to see from a distance. i'd love to know the good restaurants, because i'll certainly be happy to eat at them, and i haven't found them out yet after only being here a month. i was just in the sarah duke gardens, had some locopops, had some lunch, etc. a couple weeks ago and went back again last weekend. i had fun. i just don't see what is so "great" about Durham. i feel like i could do all the same stuff and more in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. I just want someone to explain it to me with real information, not just irritated and offended reactions, because i live here now, and it's one of the top areas close by for me to visit. i plan to spend 3 weekends a month in the triangle, and 1 somewhere nearby like VA Beach, Charlotte, Greensboro, the beaches, (Atlanta), etc. I see Durham coming up sometimes... so i'm trying to like it, or "get it" but i need help i guess

Old 06-16-2009, 06:58 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,210 times
Quote:
lol i know, open up the floodgates, right? i got more replies to this in an hour than i've gotten from my last 50 posts.

to the people who are offended... listen, i don't care where you live, or whether you think i'm rude. maybe i am. that doesn't make what i said inaccurate. it's just my opinion. i still don't have any reasons why durham isn't worse than anywhere else around. and no, i haven't been here long, but i've been to durham a half dozen times, and it's not a huge place. i've seen what there is to see from a distance. i'd love to know the good restaurants, because i'll certainly be happy to eat at them, and i haven't found them out yet after only being here a month. i was just in the sarah duke gardens, had some locopops, had some lunch, etc. a couple weeks ago and went back again last weekend. i had fun. i just don't see what is so "great" about Durham. i feel like i could do all the same stuff and more in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. I just want someone to explain it to me with real information, not just irritated and offended reactions, because i live here now, and it's one of the top areas close by for me to visit. i plan to spend 3 weekends a month in the triangle, and 1 somewhere nearby like VA Beach, Charlotte, Greensboro, the beaches, (Atlanta), etc. I see Durham coming up sometimes... so I'm trying to like it, or "get it" but i need help i guess
I LOVE your honesty. Don't worry, I don't get the love fest with the city part of Durham either, but then again I don't go to bars, plays, clubs or anything like that. I care more about nature and being outside, which explains why I really like the country parts of North Durham county, SW Durham and Duke Gardens. I don't get a shiver up my leg over some "quirky" "hipster" dive to eat at either. I just want to sit down, grab some good grub and cram it down my gullet and be on my way. Every second I spend inside is a second of my life I will never get back. But if someone else is happy with what they call the "grit & character" of these places, good for them. I am glad they are happy. They probably wouldn't be happy living the country life I do. To each their own.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:06 PM

Quote:
to the people who are offended... listen, i don't care where you live, or whether you think i'm rude. maybe i am. that doesn't make what i said inaccurate. it's just my opinion. i still don't have any reasons why durham isn't worse than anywhere else around. and no, i haven't been here long, but i've been to durham a half dozen times, and it's not a huge place. i've seen what there is to see from a distance. i'd love to know the good restaurants, because i'll certainly be happy to eat at them, and i haven't found them out yet after only being here a month. i was just in the sarah duke gardens, had some locopops, had some lunch, etc. a couple weeks ago and went back again last weekend. i had fun. i just don't see what is so "great" about Durham. i feel like i could do all the same stuff and more in Raleigh and Chapel Hill. I just want someone to explain it to me with real information, not just irritated and offended reactions, because i live here now, and it's one of the top areas close by for me to visit. i plan to spend 3 weekends a month in the triangle, and 1 somewhere nearby like VA Beach, Charlotte, Greensboro, the beaches, (Atlanta), etc. I see Durham coming up sometimes... so i'm trying to like it, or "get it" but i need help i guess
Of course people are going to get offended. What real information are you looking for that you are not getting? I and others have supplied a lot of info and links on Durham. So feel free to ask away. Chapel Hill is great, but is even smaller and has less to offer than Durham. They are so close to each other it is easy to enjoy both. I can see why some would say Raleigh has more to offer than Durham b/c it is a larger city. I really do get most of my entertainment, shopping, and food in Durham. On occasion I'll go to Raleigh for a larger music venue or to see the Canes play. Maybe people can explain to me why they diss so much on Durham? Sure some people don't care for it, but many on here are being rude. Why? I don't see those of us in Durham being rude to Raleigh residents. I don't care for the traffic or know anything about the crime in SE Raleigh, but I am not going to diss the whole city and the residents for it.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
But if someone else is happy with what they call the "grit & character" of these places, good for them. I am glad they are happy. They probably wouldn't be happy living the country life I do. To each their own.
Actually, I do

Old 06-16-2009, 07:33 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,667,932 times
Quote:

FWIW - I do think you need to check Durham out a little more. You have not been here long and may have missed some great things in Durham. I absolutely hate city living, but even I can find some great things in Durham, as well as Raleigh.

You are correct in that we do not have "real" cities here, when you compare them to Charlotte or Boston. Your description of Raleigh as a bunch of suburbs is pretty accurate. I would like to see both cities continue to grow and add more city like buildings, not that I would live there.
LOL! I love you man!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:35 PM

Here is a link featuring videos on Durham. It might help with the confusion for some or confirm why you wouldn't like Durham. Enjoy!

Durham, NC | Visitors | Durham Videos (http://www.durham-nc.com/visitors/promo_video.php - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary