Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 09:56 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,035,985 times

Advertisements

This may be old news, but gogoraleigh.com is reporting that the site plans for the proposed Whole Foods at Six Forks and Strickland have been presented to the city planning commission. Interesting take on this on that blog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:13 PM

4,033 posts, read 4,783,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
This may be old news, but gogoraleigh.com is reporting that the site plans for the proposed Whole Foods at Six Forks and Strickland have been presented to the city planning commission. Interesting take on this on that blog.
Very interesting..... I wonder how the Lowes Foods and Food Lion stores may be affected since the customer base in that area is already limited to have so many grocery stores located in the same area.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,187,543 times
I don't understand the take given on the other blog. I'm not sure if the poster had an issue with the design or the location. I hope he will elaborate.

FWIW, I would love to see a Whole Foods or Trader Joes move into a location in Downtwon Raleigh. I still contened that having one of those places in downtown Raleigh would really boost the number of people who visit downtown on a regular basis and it would draw more retail to the downtown area.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 PM
rfb

2,592 posts, read 6,322,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Very interesting..... I wonder how the Lowes Foods and Food Lion stores may be affected since the customer base in that area is already limited to have so many grocery stores located in the same area.
Food Lion and Whole Foods target very different segments of the grocery market. I would think Whole Foods would have the biggest effect on Fresh Market, followed by Harris Teeter, and to a lesser extent Lowes and Kroger.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 AM

450 posts, read 1,548,054 times
For those of you who are Whole Food lovers, I suggest you read The Omnivore's Dilemma. Very good book and one that turned me off from Whole Foods long ago.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:37 AM

291 posts, read 954,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogard13 View Post
For those of you who are Whole Food lovers, I suggest you read The Omnivore's Dilemma. Very good book and one that turned me off from Whole Foods long ago.
OMG! I love this book!!!! It turned me off from grocery store organic produce & organic meats. Now I only get pastured/local/grass-fed meats & sustainable produce (grown using the same process as organic but are just not labeled *organic*) at the Farmers Market.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:01 AM

450 posts, read 1,548,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
OMG! I love this book!!!! It turned me off from grocery store organic produce & organic meats. Now I only get pastured/local/grass-fed meats & sustainable produce (grown using the same process as organic but are just not labeled *organic*) at the Farmers Market.
Yeah, I'm living in VA (moving to NC this summer) and I've been buying from Joel Salatin's farm for about 3 years now (he's the farmer featured in the book). They make deliveries about every 5 weeks.

I'm waiting for Food, Inc. (the movie) to be released around here so that I can check it out. It's along the same lines.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:12 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,547,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfb View Post
Food Lion and Whole Foods target very different segments of the grocery market. I would think Whole Foods would have the biggest effect on Fresh Market, followed by Harris Teeter, and to a lesser extent Lowes and Kroger.
I agree. I can't envision anyone who shops at Whole Foods ever stepping foot into such a disgusting grocery store such as Food Lion.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:41 AM

881 posts, read 2,244,935 times
Quote:
I'm waiting for Food, Inc. (the movie) to be released around here so that I can check it out. It's along the same lines.
I saw it at the Riverrun film festival. They mostly focused on factory farms/mass produced food = bad. They showed a farm Tyson gets their chickens from as well as the inside of the Smithfield plant in Tar Heel, NC.

They talked with Stoneyfield Farms - visited an actual farm while walmart was there and talked with the founder. Certainly wasn't painted as negatively as the other places they showed.

I actually found the part about Monsanto more interesting since it's rarely talked about in the media.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:49 AM

291 posts, read 954,285 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm living in VA (moving to NC this summer) and I've been buying from Joel Salatin's farm for about 3 years now (he's the farmer featured in the book). They make deliveries about every 5 weeks.

Nice! I also read some of Joel Salatin's books. But the other book I liked is Animal, Vegetable, Miracle from Barbara Kingsolver. Definetely less intense than OD but with some really good information about eating locally and with the seasons. I enjoyed this book too!

I really hope the movie Food, Inc will bring more awareness to the CAFO situation, which I find to be the most depressing of all. I cried while reading about the "manufacturing process" of the egg laying hens in OD book. I just can't bring myself to eat grocery store eggs anymore. I get my eggs from a local farm where the hens eat a natural diet outside, which is not the same as your average *organic* eggs at the grocery store.

I'm not a vegetarian but I do believe we don't have to torture the animals we plan to eat. Also, the diet of these animals stuck in the CAFOs is so terrible that the benefit of eating meat vanishes. The nutriotional value of CAFO meats is super low. This website has some good facts about the benefits of eating pasture meats.

Nutritional Benefits of Grassfarming - Eat Wild

I also agree that people that shop at Food Lion are not the same people you'll find at Whole Foods or even at the Farmer Market. These markets are going after completely different demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary