Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 07:58 AM

5 posts, read 9,204 times

Advertisements

We live in a small neighborhood near Southpoint mall (also near Buck Crossing and Chancellor's Ridge) and are looking for a place to swim for the summer (or year-round, but I really would like an outdoor recreational pool).

Hollow Rock is nice but is a little far away, and I know the Woodcroft Club is open to non-Woodcroft residents. The YMCA at Meadowmont may be the most promising, but does anyone have suggestions of other pools in southwest Durham (or east Chapel Hill) that either are not affiliated with a subdivision, or that take non-residents as members?

I'd really like to see a YMCA like Cary's in southwest Durham someday, but I'm not sure how likely that is to happen.

Thanks,
Heath
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:33 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,763,391 times
We are in a similar situation. I too would love to see a YMCA down here. I think it would do well.

There is Woodcroft, Hope Valley Farms Swim Club, and Meadowmont. All of these accept folks from outside the neighborhood. Woodcroft & HVFSC you have to join for the whole year I believe. I remember it was going to be over $1200.00 for the year to join those. And since we would only use it in the summer we did not think it was worth it.

Meadowmont is about 1/2 that I believe. Parkwood has a pool that is only about $400. (Google Parkwood Swim Club). Most of the people who join there live in the small neighborhoods in South Durham w/out pools. The pool was built in the 60s or 70s so it does not have the bells and whistles that Woodcroft has. It's a basic L shaped pool, with a diving area. There is a separate fenced baby pool. It's not fancy, but the families that go there are really nice. And I think the life guards are more alert than the guards at Woodcroft. The bathrooms leave a lot to be desired, but they are good about cleaning them. Parkwood has a strong swimteam too, if and when you kids decide to go that route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary