Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:12 PM

133 posts, read 424,922 times

Advertisements

Hi, We just found a house we like in Wake Forest township, but not right in the center of town. The only issue is that behind the fence there runs a small creek. Since we are new to the area, does anyone remember if this area floods a bit or a lot? I researched on the wake forest's government site and they have flood plain diagrams, which i have to go through. I would appreciate if you can give me any info on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 12:24 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,165,788 times
You should've gone last night to see if it was flooded. The intense rain we had would've been an ideal test.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:25 PM

242 posts, read 796,033 times
Well... you probably already have your answer by now. With all the rain that we've had over the last couple days, if it isn't flooded yet, chances are pretty good that it won't flood unless we really get a significant amount of rain.

Personally, after spending several years doing Red Cross disaster work in various parts of the country, I wouldn't/won't live anywhere near a creek or river. But that's just me.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM

646 posts, read 2,050,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by born2fly View Post
Hi, We just found a house we like in Wake Forest township, but not right in the center of town. The only issue is that behind the fence there runs a small creek. Since we are new to the area, does anyone remember if this area floods a bit or a lot? I researched on the wake forest's government site and they have flood plain diagrams, which i have to go through. I would appreciate if you can give me any info on this.
Can you be more specific of the location? I mean...A Wake Forest mailing address covers a lot of area.

As a general rule....flooding isn't an issue. We have a creek behind our home and have never had a problem and don't foresee one either.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:28 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Might try this US site

Floodsmart.gov: Flooding and Flood Risks Overview

Old 06-17-2009, 08:15 PM

133 posts, read 424,922 times
The house is in a development called Smith Creek near Ligon Mill Road.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:47 PM

63 posts, read 145,415 times
North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program also has a ton of useful information.

Best of luck with your house hunt!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:49 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,074 times
I too say that using the NC Floodplain mapping is the best resource you can use. Anywhere near a creek or river is susceptible to flooding. There are 100 year floods and as the name implies don't come along often but when they do the areas do flood.

Good luck and that is a nice area of homes!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:58 AM

488 posts, read 1,554,730 times
We live on a creek in Wake Forest and a year or so ago when we had that big flood that flooded crabtee mall...anyone remember that? Anyway... our creek flooded. It's a 100 year flood plain so we don't expect another one for 90 or so years We've had no other issues with flooding though.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:09 AM

1,007 posts, read 5,663,708 times
If you are looking into buying it, look at the property disclosure and see if it states it is in a flood plain (not fool proof though). You can also call an insurance agent to see if located in a flood plain or if they will insure the home. I've run into problems when homeowners didn't know they changed the floodplain area and they are not normally notified that their home is now located in floodplain. The only way we found out was when getting home owners insurance. The floodplain maps are sometimes hard to interpret.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary