Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:08 AM

156 posts, read 920,292 times

Advertisements

What about me??? LOL.. I am 46 and single, will I be alone in a mix of families??? Trying to get as close to Raleigh as possible. I think that might be my only hope in meeting someone...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 11:13 AM

3,353 posts, read 4,964,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
What about me??? LOL.. I am 46 and single, will I be alone in a mix of families??? Trying to get as close to Raleigh as possible. I think that might be my only hope in meeting someone...
Heh I'm pretty much in your boat - but I'm sticking closer to the universities and moving to either Durham or Chapel Hill. Hi, single or divorced professors!

Old 04-16-2007, 11:24 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
I may move to Raleigh this year and am single in my 30s.

Can anyone give me insight into whether this is a good place for singles. It seems from the posts that it is good for families, but I am not married and don't have kids.

What is there for single people? Are there any good places to go and activities to do?

I am thinking about moving to North Raleigh.
A lot of posters have given some great advise on meeting people. I will tell you from my 4 months of experience being here, there are a lot of young (21-25) year old women in this area. A lot of these women seem to be of quality and not aloof or about the latest pair of "glam" sunglasses.

Old 04-16-2007, 12:45 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
A lot of these women seem to be of quality ....
I am sure you meant that well.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 15,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
Do you have a dog? LOL! Really, I have seen more dates made and heard more pick up lines at the dog park! Oakwood seems better for this then Milbrook...but I've seen it there to.

Just this morning a nice young man (with a rottie mix) got a date with a very pretty young lady (with sweet pit bull / shepard mix puppy she just rescued) for tonight. They'd met before at the DP and he finally asked her out today.

So yeah.....singles can meet people and make friends around here.

There are also lots of cyclists, seems to be a pretty good theatre town for classes, groups and performances - not a huge art community, but it's getting there and not hard to find....lots of good classes. Bowling is not too popular though.
That is good to hear that Raleigh is dog-friendly and people meet at the dog park. I am considering relocating to Raleigh, I am 32 and not married and am hoping it will be easy to meet people (I don't know anyone there). I plan to visit very soon - any suggestions of places to check out, potential areas to live, etc? I will probably be bringing my dog so dog park suggestions are good too. Thanks!

Old 06-24-2007, 11:09 AM

6 posts, read 27,385 times
Hey,
I am in the same boat, I am 27 yr old, single,female, young profesional that is considering relocation to the Raleigh area from MS. I have visited many times and found nothing but good things. All advice that I have received is in favor of moving to Raleigh. I first considered the area because of the location-driving distance from mountains and beaches. I also am a huge sports fan and it seems that this area is a great place for athletics.Another plus is the demographics-lots of young educated singles. The Brier Creek area is the area that was most appealing to me. Lots of shopping, food, near a major airport. Almost everyone I have talked to thinks Raleigh will be a great place to meet other singles. Nothing is ever said negatively about NC...

Old 06-24-2007, 12:09 PM

550 posts, read 1,487,279 times
I'm single and 30, and have been here for about 2.5 years. I find that there are a lot of singles, but there's kind of a dearth between 25-35 years old. Plenty of young singles and plenty of divorced singles, but almost all of my coworkers got married either during or right after college. Around 35 is when they start getting divorced.

However, I still go out and meet quality guys. The one nice thing about the singles scene here is that it's not all about looks, people are more interested in substance. So for me, compared to the last place I lived (which was LA, god help you should you ever find yourself a single professional in that place -- dating in LA is an idiot parade), the singles scene is more promising despite there being fewer people in my age range.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,723,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
I'm single and 30, and have been here for about 2.5 years. I find that there are a lot of singles, but there's kind of a dearth between 25-35 years old. Plenty of young singles and plenty of divorced singles, but almost all of my coworkers got married either during or right after college. Around 35 is when they start getting divorced.

However, I still go out and meet quality guys. The one nice thing about the singles scene here is that it's not all about looks, people are more interested in substance. So for me, compared to the last place I lived (which was LA, god help you should you ever find yourself a single professional in that place -- dating in LA is an idiot parade), the singles scene is more promising despite there being fewer people in my age range.
Wow! I do agree with the part about the dearth of singles in the 25-35 range. And you're right, here it's not so much about looks. I've been there and done that and it's a nice change. As far as the singles scene being promising and all, to me it seems a little harder to be single here for the first reason you mentioned. As I stated before, you get a lot of young ladies in that 20-24 range that are interested. But that gets old after awhile.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 AM

17 posts, read 58,126 times
I'm a single guy in my late 30s. I haven't moved down there yet, but i joined a couple of meetup singles groups just to get a feel of the events. Almost every day of the week an event is held, so I am looking forward to it. The diversity seems to be pretty broad. I am counting the days (and still looking for a house).

Old 06-25-2007, 09:10 AM

1,790 posts, read 6,517,023 times
^ Let me know how that goes. I am in the same boat as turning 40 in a few mos (yikes!) and have the same concern about meeting singles my age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary