U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2009, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 1,729 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My sister and I are driving down from MA to look at the area because she wants to move there in August. We are looking for suggestions on places to stay, eat, visit--also, places to live. She is a nurse and her daughter will be entering 9th grade in August. She wants to talk to Broughton (sp?) but we know the schools get redistricted a lot and she may not stay there even if she gets in there...

In any case, any help would be great. We have been reading a lot in the forums but I thought we would just ask if there are any particulars you could suggest?

Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM

9,679 posts, read 28,088,241 times
In terms of places to live, where will she be working? What price point in housing is she interested in. Based on the High School you named I'm assuming you are interested in neighborhoods inside the 440 beltline. Is that an accurate assumption?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,729 times
Default well...

She is going to look for an apartment, hopefully around $800(is that possible?)
She works at a nursing home right now, but I think she would be interested working in any nursing facility, at least just to get her foot in the door. She has been told that Wake County is her best bet, from people she has worked with who are familiar with the area, but I know that encompasses quite a few towns. We had planned to just drive around and see what we could see. Perhaps stay in a Red Roof Inn or something, since we are not going to do anything but sleep and familiarize ourselves with the local news, weather, etc...

I know there is a downtown live concert Saturday--the Tubes are playing. Has anyone been to these free events? Do we have to be there all day or can we just show up at 8 pm or something? That is the only "extracurricular activity" we know about.

Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 AM

5 posts, read 52,555 times
I work at the Sheraton hotel downtown .. so if you are looking for a place to stay then I have to say the Sheraton Hotel on your trip. As far as places to go, things to eat, and stuff to do. Raleigh has over 150 restaurants downtown and none of which are "chain" restaurants(42nd St Oyster Bar, 518 W. Italian Cafe, Mellow Mushroom, and Sono's SOME OF MY FAVORITES). Downtown there is not much to see/do unless there is something special going on unless you go to the Museums. On places to live, it all depends on where you work, the prices arent outrageous, all of the apt complexes are running specials right now and until after school starts. hope it was some help !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary