Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:11 PM

242 posts, read 1,211,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
OP as you can see, people are admitting there are reception issues with satellite. For further information in your decision making process, take a look at other complaints in the attached link. Having regularly occurring outages, for whatever time frame, is unacceptable.

Consumer complaints about DirecTV
It sounds no worse than the constant pixelation that comes with TWC all too frequently. There are pro's and cons to any service and this has surely been beaten to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM

2,036 posts, read 4,389,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy64 View Post
It sounds no worse than the constant pixelation that comes with TWC all too frequently.
That would be true, however I have never had that happen in my 4 years of service in multiple Triangle locations.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:42 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
I have some HD channels on TWC that are unwatchable more often than they are (specifically NBC17 and HDTheater). Others have some occasional pixelization. Generally, it's far better lately than it had been for several years, once TWC rewired our neighborhood (but still not without problems). I've considered switching to satellite, and any reception problems would in my view be no worse than I have with TWC, so that's not one of the factors I consider.

Our TWC phone and internet service, on the other hand, have been flawless.

Old 06-20-2009, 04:47 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
Oh, look.. there are complaints about TWC on the same site!

Consumer Complaints About Time Warner

Old 06-20-2009, 04:53 PM

249 posts, read 690,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post

+1 rep point!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:56 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,894,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post

True - but 43 pages of them for DirecTV and 3 pages for TWC. I don't think that's a winning point in this debate.

Neither is perfect. My advice: Pick what works best for you, not what works for others (or doesn't).

Old 06-20-2009, 05:33 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,599,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
True - but 43 pages of them for DirecTV and 3 pages for TWC. I don't think that's a winning point in this debate.

Neither is perfect. My advice: Pick what works best for you, not what works for others (or doesn't).
Ah I'd never even heard of that site until CD linked it... maybe the TWC haters hang out somewhere else?

And yes, neither is perfect.. I tried TWC and didn't have horrid service. I just thought the quality of their "non digital" channels (pretty much the only ones I watch) was really poor compared to satellite. I'm also not happy they discontinued their electronic billing service that worked with my bank - they have got to be kidding if they think I'm going to login to their website to pay my bill!

In any event, I'm changing my internet & phone from TWC to AT&T in the coming weeks - mostly to take advantage of the ~$200 or so AT&T is paying me to switch! My TV will stay with Directv unless U-Verse comes to my neighborhood.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:46 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,334,317 times
DirecTV, hands down. We've always had TWC and have had nothing but problems. Now we can have satellite and haven't been happier. We experienced an outage once for about a minute and that's it. I was worried with recent crazy storms we might have trouble, but we didn't! We had more outages with TWC and the box freezing and having to reboot (takes about 5 minutes). I can't stand their customer service and how long it takes to get a hold of someone. We haven't had any issues with DirecTV so can't comment on their service. We still have Road Runner, which runs great, but is a bit pricey.

Top 10 companies voted worst for customer service
http://newsacrosstheworld.com/?p=72

Old 06-20-2009, 05:47 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,334,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
That would be true, however I have never had that happen in my 4 years of service in multiple Triangle locations.
Looks like you got the golden box!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:46 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,760,148 times
DirecTV hands down. Ill make it simple and list out why:

1) Better quality TV - if you have a 32+ screen or bigger, you will definitely notice. ESPECIALLY if standard def vs high def. DTV's standard def is akin to cables HD, and DTV's HD is on another level vs cable.

2) Pricing/negotiated prices - the cable companies dont care about you as much as DTV does, point blank. They will give you special pricing, free premium channels, whatever it takes to win your service vs cable, and more importantly KEEP your service. If you want to call every 6 months and get free premiums, I bet you could do it. "Cable costs this, I want DTV for this" - done.

3) Sports - its a no brainer if you are an NFL fan (sunday ticket exclusive) and sports programming in general is 10x what cable offers.

4) Innovative features - like the "gametracker" which will track stats in given games, fantasy football player stat tracker, "mix" channels which you can program to display 8 of your favorite channels in one to then select what you want to watch (ie a sports mix with ESPN, NFL, MLB, NBA, Fox sports etc, one channel, see whats on all of them, scroll to the one you want and click)

5) On-Demand - this used to be cables big trump card, but no longer. DTV now has on-demand so you can watch what you want when you want.

6) Better technology - DTV boxes are, on average, much more advanced than cables (including DVR functionality)

7) $100 CASH BACK - when you sign up for directv and use a referrers member number (like mine) you get $100 taken off of your bill, I believe in increments over 6 months. The best part? The referrer gets $100 off of their bill as well, so if you have any friends that sign up in the future, tell them to use your member # and you get credit over and over.

I'll tell you right here and now the satellite going out often thing is a myth. I would say it goes out 3-6 times a year, its only some channels, and it lasts anywhere from 1-10 minutes MAX. You may have ONE time where it goes 10 minutes, the rest will be quick 60 second outages only on some channels. Back to the price thing, call up customer service and use it as leverage for a $15 monthy discount or something. Im not justifying it, Im saying it doesnt happen often at alll, when it does its not bad, and if youre really steamed about missing 3 minutes of the Hills, call them up and they will compensate you for it. Those are facts from experience, not second hand what ive heard...its funny the rumors that are spread by people without first hand experience.

Im happy to go into more detail if anyone wants to PM me, I am a very picky tv service connisseur, i have used a bunch of them over the years to test the waters and always go back to DTV and at this point have come to the conclusion there just is none better - Moderator cut: removed

Last edited by autumngal; 06-21-2009 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: use dm please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary