Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 10:55 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,834,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlton Dude View Post
You first said they did not exist. Now you say they do, but are pixilated. I am confused on which way it supposedly is.

FYI - The wiring box put in homes by various builders are not always compatible with HD signals. If you have an issue, have TWC bypass the unit. It works magic.
Geez, CD, I know the HD channels exist - They are so badly pixillated that for us they do not exist!
I have had TWC bypass the builder's box- did that last year because of internet issues.
So, right now the dish guys are here... I will let everyone know how we like it after a month or so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 11:51 AM

776 posts, read 1,679,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Geez, CD, I know the HD channels exist - They are so badly pixillated that for us they do not exist!
I have had TWC bypass the builder's box- did that last year because of internet issues.
So, right now the dish guys are here... I will let everyone know how we like it after a month or so...
Nice. I've heard alot of good things about Dish...it made it a little harder for me when I had to decide between DirecTV and Dish. At that time, DirecTV had a comfortable lead in HD programming which was one of my big reasons for going that way, but I know Dish has caught up now. I had also preferred the XM channels (DirecTV) over Sirius (Dish), but since those two merged, those are the same now too. Good luck with it and let us know what you think.

I'd also like to hear from someone who has Uverse...it's not available in my area yet...but I've heard tons of good things about Verizon FIOS, which is effectively hurting companies like Cablevision, who have had a stranglehold on their territories for years. It used to be...pay cable companies' rising costs or else (or go to a then-unproven satellite company). The more competition there is, the better the service.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:38 PM

97 posts, read 245,865 times
I have Uverse, pm me with any questions.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Did I say I'd tell you what I think in a month?
Well, I think I want to share some impressions now!

First, I have 2 boxes and 2 other tv's set up, included in the silver package.
With cable we had 1 box- the other tv's got the most basic cable- and no dvr!
I have xm radio in 1 car, an now that I have sirius in the house, no need to upgrade the xm for home use!
Ther no "lag" when I scroll through live channels, only in on-demand modes! love that!
Plus, I have an interactive cnn channel that operates like the computer- you listen to what they are broadcasting but can scroll around to read worrld or national news too.

so far, so good!

Old 06-25-2009, 02:20 PM

776 posts, read 1,679,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Did I say I'd tell you what I think in a month?
Well, I think I want to share some impressions now!

First, I have 2 boxes and 2 other tv's set up, included in the silver package.
With cable we had 1 box- the other tv's got the most basic cable- and no dvr!
I have xm radio in 1 car, an now that I have sirius in the house, no need to upgrade the xm for home use!
Ther no "lag" when I scroll through live channels, only in on-demand modes! love that!
Plus, I have an interactive cnn channel that operates like the computer- you listen to what they are broadcasting but can scroll around to read worrld or national news too.

so far, so good!
Nice. Glad you're enjoying it. Any change in picture clarity? That's the one thing I noticed...the picture on the HD channels is slightly better, but I noticed SD channels were much better with satellite.

I think the one thing you can expect with satellite and fiber optic television (and eventually the TWC's and Comcast's of the world) in the next few years is to turn your TV viewing into a complete interactive experience. Like...what you're seeing on CNN, but with every channel and even more sophisticated. I see both sat companies making that leap now. I know DirecTV already has a built-in scoreboard view on their sports channels...where you can cycle through boxscores of each sport and have the option to tune to the channel carrying that game. But what I'm also hearing is, for example, you can be watching say, CNN...you press an interactive menu button, and this will bring you to a CNN interactive menu where you can check out past shows (kinda like On Demand), host bios, any video footage covering any story you want to watch, etc. It's kinda like merging the internet and television together.

I dunno...I'm glad you're enjoying it so far though.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 PM

Hey Frrrunkis, the picture is crisper on all the channels...

My husband was annoyed at the interactive tv, and I see his point- it is information overload, especially if you want to mull things over & reflect instead of gettign lots of little bits of info.

I think it got bad after 9/11- we were afraid that if we changed channels we might miss something crucial, so those crawls never went away!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary