Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 12:53 PM

5 posts, read 5,420 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I were planning to relocate to the Charlotte area. He moved down there two months ago. He ended up not feeling like it was the right place for us. He is now working in Raleigh and we are hoping to move (myself and the two children asap.) In the Charlotte area, we were able to afford to buy a home. After researching the Raleigh area, it seems to be more expensive. I am a stay-at-home mother, so we can't afford much. I would say <$140K. We will be renting first, but I am curious if anyone has input on if there are places to buy that are within our reach for the future. Of course, schools and safe areas are of utmost concern. Thanks to anyone that can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 01:00 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,767,831 times
Just a quick search at a Realtor (TM) site of homes in the 110K-140K range and 1000-1500 sq ft shows 1262 properties. I would try to narrow down your area and then get a Buyer's Agent. That is a lot of properties.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:11 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byeboston View Post
Hi,

My husband and I were planning to relocate to the Charlotte area. He moved down there two months ago. He ended up not feeling like it was the right place for us. He is now working in Raleigh and we are hoping to move (myself and the two children asap.) In the Charlotte area, we were able to afford to buy a home. After researching the Raleigh area, it seems to be more expensive. I am a stay-at-home mother, so we can't afford much. I would say <$140K. We will be renting first, but I am curious if anyone has input on if there are places to buy that are within our reach for the future. Of course, schools and safe areas are of utmost concern. Thanks to anyone that can help!
Yes you will be able to buy something.
$140,000 and less means that if it is really good, it will sell fast.

When you think you are ready to buy, you will want to have all your financing arranged and be ready to move on a property if you really like it.

Does your husband work right in Raleigh, or in an outlying area?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Try Brentwood.

Slightly marginal but convenient.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:14 PM

5 posts, read 5,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes you will be able to buy something.
$140,000 and less means that if it is really good, it will sell fast.

When you think you are ready to buy, you will want to have all your financing arranged and be ready to move on a property if you really like it.

Does your husband work right in Raleigh, or in an outlying area?
Yes, he is working right in Raleigh. Also, thanks to those with suggestions!

Old 06-23-2009, 05:31 PM

757 posts, read 2,082,197 times
Your best bet is Clayton. You can get more sq. feet for the money there and will have a 20 minute commute into raleigh. You will get way more for the money in Clayton.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:51 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Brentwood is not slightly marginal. It is a very good place to live.

Saturnfan sometimes says negative things and sometimes positive.

You would like living here. And so would he. He has said so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Try Brentwood.

Slightly marginal but convenient.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Brentwood is not slightly marginal. It is a very good place to live.
Serious question here, not meant to be a slight, but when I search in the $140k-$200K I notice many homes for sale in Brentwood. Right now I find 19 homes in Brentwood listed on the MLS. That is more homes than I would expect to see for sale considering the modest size of that neighborhood. Why are so many homes for sale in Brentwood. Are they former rentals?

Old 06-23-2009, 09:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
There are 1400 homes in Brentwood. It's like a small town. (Modest? I don't think so.)

So 19 homes for sale in the middle of a recession is actually a very low number.

I know the backgrounds of three of those homes that are for sale: a couple is returning North to take care of an aging parent after living here for several years; one couple has lived here for several decades and is downsizing, and one long-time resident is gravely ill.

Unless they front Atlantic Avenue, I doubt very much that many of the 19 houses for sale are rentals. The person downsizing his own home also owned several of those Atlantic Avenue rentals, so perhaps if they are for sale, he is divesting himself of those as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary